New to the BP community and to REI

New to the BP community and to REI

Carmel, IN · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 1 vote

Greetings from sunny Southern California (Fontana). My name is Matt Stocking and I am an aspiring real estate investor. After reading a few books on REI I feel it is time I get off the sidelines and get more out of the money I earn from my 9-5. I am a professional engineer by trade but I would like to make REI my profession. At this point I am somewhat of an open book and would like to learn as much as possible about real estate with the goal of owning single family rental properties and eventually some multifamily properties as well. There are so many strategies out there and I feel like it will take some time to try a few to see what works. Any advice on how folks got started would be very much appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from the community and appreciate the sharing of knowledge.

Thank you,

Matt

1Reply
12 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Hey Matt! What kind of engineer? I used to be an engineer, aerospace, and was working in the field for a few years and that's what my degree is in. Now I'm only real estate (but still fly airplanes). I'm also in CA (LA/Venice) too.

    I remember being where you are! Open to learning everything. The [RE] world is at your fingertips :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Investorneer
  • Dave VisayaPro Member
    Moderator
    Audio Engineer and Investor · Cebu City, Cebu · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 881 votes
    9y

    Hello @Matt Stocking, welcome to the site! Feel free to jump in the community here and also take advantage of the treasure of knowledge here.

    BiggerPockets
  • Carmel, IN · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Ali,

    Thank you for the reply.  My background is structural and currently work for a manufacturer of building components.  All of this is pretty exciting and it will be nice to get away from the 9-5 drag and have a bit more control of my future.

  • Carmel, IN · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Lane,

    I like the sound of Investorneer! Sounds like I have my work cut out for me to live up to that title.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.