Hey, just joined Bigger Pockets on suggestion from my dad. Here's the kicker though, I'm 15 so I don't have a job and am a full time student. I want to alleviate the stress of investing a little off of my mom and dad so in response I started to try to learn about investing, sometimes the principles just don't hit home though. Nice to meet you all! Also any tips on how a 15 year old can practice investing and such? Thanks again!
Real Estate Agent · Media, PA · Member since 2017 · 361 posts · 250 votes
9y
Hi @Darryl Lim, welcome! So are your parents investors and you are looking to help them in their business? If so, I would offer to help them with a task you are capable of that takes up a lot of time for them. Maybe answering phones or cleaning up units? General office work and helping them stay organized. You're starting very young and that is very admirable. Spend time reading the BP forums and blogs, listening to the podcasts and build up your knowledge. Learn the terms that people use often, listen to mistakes people have made and soak up as much of this great knowledge as you can.
Save your money as you start to get jobs and remember, you don't need the latest and greatest of everything just to impress your peers. Stay modest, meet new people and offer to help out other investors with anything you can!
Not necessarily, my parents both have full time jobs and we don't have enough money to invest right now, but I do want to get good at investing so that when we are able to invest then I can fully help them. Nice meeting you @John Knisely !
Lender · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 404 posts · 227 votes
9y
@Darryl Lim Welcome to Bigger Pockets. It's impressive to see your drive at your age. Learn as much as you can through these forums and don't let anybody hold you back. I think you're going to find that your age group will be very small on these forums and in REI in general, but getting started now with the learning process will put you light years ahead of 99% of other high school graduates. Use the search function in these forums to look up specific topics. You might also try the Ultimate Beginner's Guide if you're looking for a starting point.