Newbie from the Inland Empire, Riverside area

Newbie from the Inland Empire, Riverside area

Riverside, CA · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 19 votes

Hi Biggerpockets community,

My name is Nicole Vargas (formally Collins). I got started in real estate back in 2010 and bought my first single family property in Riverside, CA. I didn’t realize it back than but it was a really good time to buy in CA, housing prices had plummeted. That same house is now selling for double what I paid. Since then, I got married and had a baby and my husband and I purchased a duplex in Riverside. We live in one and rent the other. For my real job, I am a Registered Dietitian, and I work an 8am-5pm at a university. We are looking to invest in enough multifamily properties that will generate enough cash flow replace our income. I am doing a lot of learning right now on the Biggerpockets site and reading books and trying to figure out our next move. Are there any investors out there that invest in San Bernardino, prices seem good but I know the areas are not the greatest. Any recommendations/advice would be much appreciated! Looking forward to meeting everyone.  

1Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
8y

@Nicole Collins

Welcome to the BP family! Good to have you here! Here are some recommendations for you:

Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet
Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing
Check out BP Podcasts: http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/podcast/

Wishing you the best!

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Corona, CA · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    *waves* I'm also a newbie investor (one sfr rental) in your area! I'm in Corona, but looking forward to getting to know more folks in the area. Do you go to any of the local meetups?

  • Riverside, CA · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 19 votes
    8y

    Hi! @Susan Melcher, no I havent... I know there is one near me at the Mission Inn, I've been meaning to check out. But with a little one its hard to get away. Do you attend any? 

  • Corona, CA · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    @Nicole Collins I've not been to any yet. I was going to try some out in December, but it looks like most groups are having their holiday meetings/parties which (understandably) are more expensive to attend including the Mission Inn one. I'm intimidated to 'party' with people when I'm meeting them the first time so I'll probably pass on those events. I'm looking a bit further afield this month in the OC I think and will probably check that one out in January for a regular meeting.

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    @Nicole Collins

    Welcome to the BP family! Good to have you here! Here are some recommendations for you:

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet
    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
    Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing
    Check out BP Podcasts: http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/podcast/

    Wishing you the best!

  • Riverside, CA · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 19 votes
    8y

    @Dmitriy Fomichenko   Thanks!! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Moreno Valley, CA · Member since 2015 · 23 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    Hey Nicole, welcome to BP!  

    This is the best place to get started learning the ins & outs of real estate investing. I've been on a similar path too and eager to make real estate my full-time job. I've got a SFR rental out in Corona, live in Moreno Valley in a home we plan to sell in next 1-2 years, and currently looking for a place to flip anywhere in southern California.

    It takes a little time and work to get your resources setup (agent, financing, contractors) but then you can start searching for your next investment.  Right now I'm also working on getting my real estate license so hopefully by early or mid 2018 I can use that to replace my current income and help with the investing side too.  

    Take care and just keep learning.  :)  

  • Riverside, CA · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 19 votes
    8y

    Thanks @Monica George 

    Nice! Yea, I have found it difficult finding a good agent. Agents want to make a deal. So all of them that I have worked with have been really pushy with trying to get a deal made. Which is totally fine, that is how they make their living. So I have also thought about getting my License. I just need to take the test! 

    Thanks for the insight! 

  • Real Estate Investor · Rialto, CA · Member since 2016 · 33 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    What's up everybody, i'm just stopping by to say hi. I'm also here in the 

    Inland Empire looking for my first property to flip. It's a lot harder than expected, so i'm actually gonna get my realtor license for i can have a better chance to get this started. and about the San Bernardino properties... well i'm not to sure about them but to be honest i think if we look good and choose the right one, we should be alright. hopefully lol 

  • Property Manager · San Bernardino, CA · Member since 2014 · 473 posts · 238 votes
    8y

    Hello @Nicole Collins!

    We invest primarily in San Bernardino, Riverside and Yucaipa! I just bought two homes last week. One near the Arrowhead Golf Course and one near CSUSB. Feel free to shoot me an email if you are looking for opportunities in the area!

    Best regards,

    David Friedman

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.