Sick of Trucking and Missing Time with My Kids

3 Replies

Hi All, I'm 45, from Detroit. In my life, I've sold real estate, mortgages, painting services, replacement windows, and insurance. When the market crashed, I gave up sales work and got my CDL. Trucking is good, steady work, but the drawbacks are huge: truckers die young and we never see our kids. I want off this roller coaster, and I think real estate will be my path to something better. I also have a sellable product for other investors in my area (I still have contacts in the window/door industry) but that's a topic for another forum. I'm looking forward to learning the information on this site and choosing my path to freedom. Hopefully I'll also make a few good friends and contacts along the way. Pax

Hi @Chris Watson

Welcome to BP! You are in the right place to learn and connect with real estate investors.

To accelerate your success, I strongly recommend that you find a mentor. Just fine ONE mentor and learn everything you can from him/her, then you can graduate and move to other mentors. Don't be all over the internet and learning everything possible, just focus on ONE THING, learn it and do it, then you can move to the next one. It is important that you experience different strategies and actually apply them until you are comfortable with various strategies, then you can pick your own that works with you,

I also recommend that you set specific small achievable goals. I know that some folks try to plan everything for 10-20 years but then you will get overwhelmed especially that it's not easy and it's a slow process. Real estate is great but very slow wealth building vehicle!

The easiest way to figure out your goal is to figure out how much income you need every month to comfortably quite your trucking business? Once you have that number, it will be your goal.

BP, Books, Podcasts, Articles, Meetups, etc. are all good and free learning tools, don't skip any of these great tools. Read read read and take action! Many people get excited about real estate but they get stuck in the learning process or the analysis paralysis phase that many newbies experience. Run your deals and numbers by an experienced investor or here at the forum, and if you have a good deal, take action and don't overthink it.

I guarantee you that you will make bad decisions sometimes, but that how you learn and grow. It's a business, and every business has some risk and headache.

I wish you all the best. 

First kudos to you my friend! Trucking is one helluva hard job, the hours on the road is tough! Real estate is a great way to make a living if you can do it.  With the connections you have in windows and doors you may be well suited to fix and flip or fix, re-finances and rent it out! Welcome to BP.. I wish you a very prosperous career. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you