New From Asheville NC!

New From Asheville NC!

Asheville, NC · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 2 votes

Hello from the mountains of Asheville North Carolina! 

I am excited to join everyone in this amazing community. There is so much information here it is a bit overwhelming at first!

I am about half way through The Book On Rental Property Investing and it has defiantly got me excited about the possibilities for creating a financially secure life for myself and my family. This has been one of my biggest goals as I near my 30's. 

I am a licensed real estate broker and a business owner here in Asheville, although I grew up in Charlottesville, Virginia. 

Asheville is a hot market right now, so I am excited to learn from all of you as I prepare to purchase my first rental property by the end of this year (I wrote it down so it must be true, right?) 

My current business has afforded me a lot of experience in Direct Mail so for those of you who are looking for help with that i'm sure I can offer some ideas. 

Hope to connect with more like minded folks and get started on this journey!

1Reply
36 views

21 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Trexie E.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Support · Davao, Davao del Sur · Member since 2015 · 937 posts · 163 votes
    8y

    Welcome to BP! @Max Shindler Glad to have you around! 

    BiggerPockets
  • Investor · Cornelius, NC · Member since 2017 · 114 posts · 20 votes
    8y

    Welcome to BP Max and lots of good luck on your journey!

  • Derek RobinsonPro Member
    Real Estate Coach · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 176 posts · 172 votes
    8y

    Hey Max!

    I've been in Asheville for around 13 years and a full time investor for 2.  I'd love to offer any advise or answer any questions you might have.  I'd also like to pick your brain on direct mailing, as I've never done it but plan to this year.

    Welcome!

  • Asheville, NC · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    @Derek Robinson Hey Derek, 

    Thanks for reaching out, I was hoping to connect with some local investors as I get ready to purchase my first SFH this year. There is so much to learn about this process.

    I read your profile and it looks like you got started pretty early in life, and are having some success here in Asheville, so that's inspiring to me. 

    I am happy to give you some tips on getting your first mailing out, I mail about 40,000 letters a month for my current business so i've tested a lot of different things. 

  • Asheville, NC · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Welcome Max!  Asheville is an amazing place to live!  I'm in the same boat, trying to learn as much as possible.  It's overwhelming but exciting!   Maybe we can try to start a meetup (Asheville doesn't seem to have many, as far as I know, but I could be wrong about that--still learning my way around BP)  Have an awesome day!  

  • Asheville, NC · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Thanks @Account Closed! 

    I do love it here, Asheville is such a great city. I would be very interested in starting a meet up. As far as I know there isn't one. But it would be good to meet other like minded folks and share ideas. Hope to talk to you soon!

  • Rental Property Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 67 posts · 62 votes
    8y
    Hey Max, welcome to Asheville! The only local meet-up I know of is CREIA. I’ve gone to a few of their meetings in the past and plan to attend more this year. Your direct mail experience could be a huge asset in this market since MLS deals are scarce. Let’s try to meet up for coffee sometime!
  • Asheville, NC · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Thanks @Christian Longacre! 

    Good call on the CREIA meetings I think I will probably join and visit a meeting or two. It sounds like direct mail could be pretty helpful in this market, I'm happy to share what I know! Feel free to send me a message next time you are free and I'd be glad to grab some coffee. 

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2014 · 63 posts · 58 votes
    8y

    @Max Shindler

    Welcome!  The investor scene is pretty busy in Asheville .  I moved here about 3 years ago and saw quite a few opportunities.  Got a few of them in the boat and then found the pond was already getting over-fished.   Fortunately, found the CREIA group that @Christian Longacre mentioned and that has definitely helped in finding new opportunities.  Your direct mail experience should be a big help.  Lots of ways to make money.  Just gotta figure out which tools are working at this point in the cycle.  Send me a PM if you ever wanna grab a coffee or a beer.  Good Luck!

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2015 · 187 posts · 112 votes
    8y

    Welcome to town Max! CREIA is a great local resource, and well worth joining and attending. Micheal Tierney is right- there seem to be more fishermen than fish here in this market, and deals are few and far between. I'd also like to pick your brain on mailings- I sent out 4500 postcards last week and got one response- so I'm definitely doing something wrong. With that said, I somehow (through dogged persistence and a very large advertising budget) do succeed in finding about five good deals per year. I'm currently flush with work (three projects in hand) so I'll let you know if I find a fourth, which I'll then need to wholesale since I don't want to stretch my crews or my finances too thin. 

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 68 posts · 39 votes
    8y

    @Max Shindler

    Welcome to Asheville Max. As mentioned we have a great CREIA in town, lots of different meetings and speakers. If you have any interest in Multifamily Investing feel free to join us for one of our monthly meetings. We are on the MeetUp site under Asheville Multifamily Investor Club. Look forward to meeting you.

  • Investor · Wake Forest, NC · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 2 votes
    8y
    Welcome to BP Max.
  • Asheville, NC · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Thanks @Michael Tierney I think I will go to next months meeting. Yea Asheville is a good place to live and a lot of people see that I think, but it just makes us have to be a little more creative and work a little harder to find good deals I guess. 

    @Account Closed 1 out of 4500 is not great... I'd be interested in hearing a little more about that campaign. What kind of list did you mail them to? Feel free to shoot me a PM with more details if you'd like and I will see if I can offer any help. 

  • Asheville, NC · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    @Bill Zahller I just had a look at your meetup site. I think I will join a meeting or two, I don't have any experience in Multi Family yet but I do have a desire to get involved with that some day so I imagine I could learn a thing or two from the meetings. Thanks!

  • Investor / Vendor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 949 votes
    8y

    @Max Shindler

    Welcome to BP! What made you decide to start owning rental properties when you used to just sell them? That's a nice transition. 
    Do you use DM for your real estate brokerage business? You'll have to update the language if you're using DM to pick up properties but it's great that you can help people sell both houses that are fully rehabbed and those that are distressed now with your new strategy.

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2015 · 187 posts · 112 votes
    8y

    Ha!  A poor return indeed! two more calls in the next few days, but still pretty sad.... I sent a PM to get your thoughts on tuning it up. 

  • Asheville, NC · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    @Bill Zahller  I'd love to check out CREIA at the next meeting!  If anyone would like to grab a beer or coffee/do a smaller meetup I'd be up for that, too.  

  • Asheville, NC · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed I would be interested in meeting up. Maybe at one of our great local breweries? 

  • Asheville, NC · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    OK, I just put together an event on FB for a social meet up - Hope to see you all there! I'm flexible on the time and date ect. so if anyone has strong feelings about that we can vote on a new time or place ect. 

    Here is the link to the event https://www.facebook.com/events/976649205825784/

    @Account Closed

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 68 posts · 39 votes
    8y

    @Max Shindler That sounds like a great idea, I will be at Joe Fairless's conference in Denver that day but I hope I can make the next one.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.