Hello from SF/LA! New to investing and BP

Hello from SF/LA! New to investing and BP

San Francisco, CA · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 3 votes

Hi BP,

I'm new here and looking to get my feet wet in Real Estate investing like everyone here! I've been doing a lot of lurking, reading and podcast listening the last couple weeks and am finally ready to start getting my hands dirty.

Quick Intro & Goals:

Born and raised in Los Angeles but moved up to San Francisco about 4-5 years ago for work. Like most, I'm currently working at a tech company. It's been quite a ride watching the tech industry mature and with that the Real Estate market and prices skyrocket.

I'm currently interested in investing in single or 2-3 unit multifamily homes in the LA or SF area. My ultimate goal by Q2'19 is to own a property where I can be living in or renting out with cash flows netting out in the first year and being cash flow positive by end of year 2. I'm targeting properties that are valued around $500k-$1m. I'm pretty interested in the multifamily home route as that could enable me to live for free and gain a lot of experience in investing and managing potential tenants.

Questions:

  • Getting a Real Estate Salesperson
    • At the start of the year, I had a goal in mind to get my Real Estate salesperson license.  The sole purpose of this was to take classes and get educated in this field - not become a salesperson.  I figured that though I won't be a full on salesperson, it might be helpful and come in handy down the road.  
    • Is the time and effort put in to getting this license worth it if my current strategy is to buy and hold single/MF homes?  What are the pros and cons?
  • Finding the right mentor
    • The BP community is huge on finding mentors but how do you sift through the noise? What are qualities of good and bad mentors that I should be looking for? I'm excited to meet more individuals here and hope to find myself a good mentor but also do feel overwhelmed.
  • FHA 3.5% Down Payment Loans
    • It doesn't seem like many people talk about this as a method of financing. Why is that? What are some pros and cons from people's experience here using this method? Are there any "gotchas" with the PMI?
    • I'm particularly interested in this option because of the extremely high prices here in SF. The FHA option would allow me to put a lot less money down and still be able to explore some great options.
  • Wholesaling
    • What are everyone's thoughts on the wholesaling investment strategy for new investors? Very curious to hear about experienced investors and their journey in wholesaling. As a new investor, this seems like a great way to get your feet wet without having to deal with all the steps and bank financing.

Really excited to be part of this community and look forward to meeting very smart and talented people!

1Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 306 posts · 205 votes
8y

@Ed Lee welcome! 

- Getting a Real Estate License: For what you are looking to achieve, I don't think getting a license is necessary due to the time and cost to maintain your license. Also, the material you learn in the licensing courses don't really teach you how to buy or sell. It is more information on laws for land with a small amount of information on the process. You would learn much more through having a mentor who can give you real world experience.

- FHA Loans: Most people in the bay area aren't talking about them because as @Grant Rothenburger mentioned, they are owner occupant loans. Also, there are loan limits to FHA. This year for Alameda, San Mateo & San Francisco Counties they are as follows:

Single: $679,650

Duplex: $870,225

Tri-plex: $1,051,875

Four-plex: $1,307,175

Most properties at least here in SF don't fit into the loan limits. Also, it's hard to get your offer accepted in a seller's market with an FHA loan either because you seem less qualified or because the property condition is a part of the loan approval process, so "fixer" properties or ones that need significant repairs can cause issues with loan approval. Smart agents know not to accept an FHA loan if there is cash or a conventional loan on the table.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 25 votes
    8y
    Welcome. @Ed Lee to BP. I am a newbie, too. On one of your points, FHA is widely discussed and highly recommended on BP. Do you listen to the podcasts. There are very few negatives. Some people might not want to live in their property or share it with a tenant if you choose to House back a duplex, triplex or fourplex. There’s the MPI which is additional insurance you pay for bringing such a small percentage to the table. To us that is a very small price to pay. Plus, in a year and when you do build enough you can finance to a conventional loan and get rid of the MPI. We couldn’t be happier with our Duplex in LA but I wish had found BP before we purchased it. Good luck!
  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 880 votes
    8y

    Welcome @Ed Lee

    One look at this post and I knew you were in a tech field! I did my undergrad in engineering back in the day. Reading through your post, I'd say spend lots of time with free content like podcasts, forums and blogs. Like you said, there is a lot of noise out there, so go with your gut! 

  • Logan AllecBusiness Member
    Accountant · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 980 votes
    8y

    Welcome, @Ed Lee. My first deal was a 4-unit up I bought with FHA 3.5% down in the Los Angeles area. It's a great strategy, man. Good luck finding one. I hear the market's crazy up there.

    Clarita CPA Group516 Reviews
  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Logan Allec:

    Welcome, @Ed Lee. My first deal was a 4-unit up I bought with FHA 3.5% down in the Los Angeles area. It's a great strategy, man. Good luck finding one. I hear the market's crazy up there.

    Hey Logan, that's amazing to hear! Would love to connect one of these days and hear more about your experience with FHA. I've been doing a lot of research on it and seems like a great option for starters like me.

  • Investor · Taylor Mill, KY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 964 votes
    8y

    @Ed Lee Welcome!

    RE: FHA: People don't talk about it too much on here because it is an owner occupied loan and most people on here are not owner occupants. Great option if you plan to live in the investment property.

    RE: Wholesaling: A lot of people will give you negativity about wholesaling on here because a lot of people have had bad experiences with wholesalers. My input here is that anyone can be a "wholesaler" - not many people can be a good wholesaler. Wholesaling and doing it right, is a lot more work and requires a greater understanding of construction costs, real estate markets, holding costs, closing costs, etc.. than most people ever realize.

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Grant Rothenburger:

    @Ed Lee Welcome!

    RE: FHA: People don't talk about it too much on here because it is an owner occupied loan and most people on here are not owner occupants. Great option if you plan to live in the investment property.

    RE: Wholesaling: A lot of people will give you negativity about wholesaling on here because a lot of people have had bad experiences with wholesalers. My input here is that anyone can be a "wholesaler" - not many people can be a good wholesaler. Wholesaling and doing it right, is a lot more work and requires a greater understanding of construction costs, real estate markets, holding costs, closing costs, etc.. than most people ever realize.

     Hey @Grant,

    I noticed that slight disconnect. A lot of great educational materials always mention FHA as a strategy but I don't see it being talked about as often as I expected. I would've expected it to be flooded with various creative strategies but that isn't the case. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places but will look into this myself a bit more.

    Wholesaling does seem very tricky and though it is a great low/no capital strategy, it seems very difficult for beginners.  I'm starting to lean away from wholesaling.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 306 posts · 205 votes
    8y

    @Ed Lee welcome! 

    - Getting a Real Estate License: For what you are looking to achieve, I don't think getting a license is necessary due to the time and cost to maintain your license. Also, the material you learn in the licensing courses don't really teach you how to buy or sell. It is more information on laws for land with a small amount of information on the process. You would learn much more through having a mentor who can give you real world experience.

    - FHA Loans: Most people in the bay area aren't talking about them because as @Grant Rothenburger mentioned, they are owner occupant loans. Also, there are loan limits to FHA. This year for Alameda, San Mateo & San Francisco Counties they are as follows:

    Single: $679,650

    Duplex: $870,225

    Tri-plex: $1,051,875

    Four-plex: $1,307,175

    Most properties at least here in SF don't fit into the loan limits. Also, it's hard to get your offer accepted in a seller's market with an FHA loan either because you seem less qualified or because the property condition is a part of the loan approval process, so "fixer" properties or ones that need significant repairs can cause issues with loan approval. Smart agents know not to accept an FHA loan if there is cash or a conventional loan on the table.

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Ariel Smith:

    @Ed Lee welcome! 

    - Getting a Real Estate License: For what you are looking to achieve, I don't think getting a license is necessary due to the time and cost to maintain your license. Also, the material you learn in the licensing courses don't really teach you how to buy or sell. It is more information on laws for land with a small amount of information on the process. You would learn much more through having a mentor who can give you real world experience.

    - FHA Loans: Most people in the bay area aren't talking about them because as @Grant Rothenburger mentioned, they are owner occupant loans. Also, there are loan limits to FHA. This year for Alameda, San Mateo & San Francisco Counties they are as follows:

    Single: $679,650

    Duplex: $870,225

    Tri-plex: $1,051,875

    Four-plex: $1,307,175

    Most properties at least here in SF don't fit into the loan limits. Also, it's hard to get your offer accepted in a seller's market with an FHA loan either because you seem less qualified or because the property condition is a part of the loan approval process, so "fixer" properties or ones that need significant repairs can cause issues with loan approval. Smart agents know not to accept an FHA loan if there is cash or a conventional loan on the table.

     Hi Ariel,

    Wow, thanks for sharing.  I had no idea that there were loan limits for each property type.


    In the SF market, what types of creative financing strategies have you seen for new (or even experienced) investors? I was hoping to leverage FHA on a duplex or triplex but that seems like it might be difficult.

  • Investor · Taylor Mill, KY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 964 votes
    8y

    @Ed Lee I don't want to discourage you from wholesaling, just pointing out that it is more difficult than some people make it out to be. If you choose to go down that path, you'll do yourself a disservice if you don't properly educate yourself.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 306 posts · 205 votes
    8y

    @Ed Lee the majority of what I've seen is people using hard money or private money (family). I'm also seeing a good number of friends or colleagues buying property together to be able to afford a multi-unit. 

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Grant Rothenburger:

    @Ed Lee I don't want to discourage you from wholesaling, just pointing out that it is more difficult than some people make it out to be. If you choose to go down that path, you'll do yourself a disservice if you don't properly educate yourself.

     Definitely agree with you!  The more I learn and research, the more I'm starting to realize how much of a different beast wholesaling is.  Will probably put that aside for now and get some more experience under my belt.

  • Investor · Taylor Mill, KY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 964 votes
    8y

    @Ed Lee You seem like a smart guy, I'm sure you'll be successful with whatever it is you decide to do. Let me know if I can help at all :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.