Pottsville, PA · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 5 votes
I'm a newbie trying to educate myself on real estate investing starting with wholesaling and leading to fix and flip. I'm interested in meeting other investors in the Pa area and start building my network. Bigger Pockets showed up in many of my Google searches so I decided I needed to become a member, I Learned so much before ever signing up!
Pottsville, PA · Member since 2013 · 33 posts · 8 votes
8y
@Mike R. Funny you mention that, as I just talked with her today about it. She and I both think their conference room is going to be a bit cramped. My wife and I were also thinking about Roman Delight. I plan on calling them tomorrow, as I got swamped with stuff going on today. I'm thinking Wednesday the 28th around 7pm, assuming Roman Delight can accommodate that anyway. After I verify with them, I'll fire off some messages to the people who expressed interest and see if I can figure out how to post an event here on BP.
Audio Engineer and Investor · Cebu City, Cebu · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 881 votes
8y
Hello @William Warner, welcome to BiggerPockets! Definitely start jumping into the community here and feel free to ask any questions related to Real Estate investing!
Investor · Pottsville, PA · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 0 votes
8y
Hello William, I’m also located in Pottsville. I just did a deal in December and almost finished with renovations. My strategy is buy and hold and I hope to add at least 2-3 units through multi-family property investing each year for at least the next 10 years. Welcome to BP! I just joined back in December but have been listening and reading since about October.
Pottsville, PA · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 5 votes
8y
Hello Ross and Andrew, nice to find some locals on here. I am actually located in Pine Grove but listed my location as Pottsville because most people have at least heard of it before. Do you guys know if we have any REI meetups or investing clubs anywhere near us? The closest ones I can find are in Reading and Harrisburg areas?
Pottsville, PA · Member since 2013 · 33 posts · 8 votes
8y
We don't have any meets in Schuylkill County that I know of. The one held at the Remax in Wyomissing is suppsed to be good, but I haven't been able to make it there yet.
I was thinking of trying to organize a meet for the southern Schuylkill County area. I'm relatively new to investing - currently have 2 SFRs and a 5 unit building. So I don't think I'd be able to give too much advice, but I was thinking I could get some more experienced people to show up. If nothing else, we could at least meet up with more local investors and network.
Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 880 votes
8y
Welcome @William Warner! I was the same way! After numerous searches always had BP references I decided to check it out! It's been an amazing resource!
Investor · Orwigsburg, PA · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 5 votes
8y
I'm in Orwigsburg too. The meetup at Re/Max in Wyomissing is awesome and so is the organizer. HOWEVER ... I'd love to get something going for those of us in southern Schuylkill County, @Ross Miller. I feel like I'm on an island here and it's nice to know there are other investors working locally. Let's do it!
Pottsville, PA · Member since 2013 · 33 posts · 8 votes
8y
@Mike R. Sounds great! Any idea where we could hold a meet in the area? I have a relationship with an agent in the Berkshire Hathaway office in Schuylkill Haven. I believe she once offered to let allow me to use their conference room, but it's a little on the small side. If more than 8-10 people showed up, I think it would get a little crowded.
Pottsville, PA · Member since 2013 · 33 posts · 8 votes
8y
I just gave my agent a call. She said it was her old manager who approved the use of their conference room, but she's going to ask her new manager on Monday. She also said some of the local restaurants have private rooms that allow groups to use if they order food.
Pottsville, PA · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 5 votes
8y
@Ross Miller and @Mike R. I'm new to the game but I would be totally interested in forming a local group. If there is anything I can do just let me know?
Investor · Orwigsburg, PA · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 5 votes
8y
@Ross Miller thanks for reaching out to the BH agent. Did you hear back from her? If not, maybe a restaurant would work best. Roman Delight has a private room.
Pottsville, PA · Member since 2013 · 33 posts · 8 votes
8y
@Mike R. Funny you mention that, as I just talked with her today about it. She and I both think their conference room is going to be a bit cramped. My wife and I were also thinking about Roman Delight. I plan on calling them tomorrow, as I got swamped with stuff going on today. I'm thinking Wednesday the 28th around 7pm, assuming Roman Delight can accommodate that anyway. After I verify with them, I'll fire off some messages to the people who expressed interest and see if I can figure out how to post an event here on BP.
Pottsville, PA · Member since 2013 · 33 posts · 8 votes
8y
I guess you can't tag people on mobile? Anyway, I made a reservation at Roman Delight for Wednesday March 14th at 7pm. There's no charge for attending other than your meal if you choose to eat.
Prepare for this to be a pretty informal meet since we'll sort of be laying the groundwork for the future. I would be happy to hear any ideas or thoughts on how to set it up or improve it. I'll figure out how to make an event posting later tonight.
I made a Meetup group, but I can't seem to make an event here on BP. Here's the link to the meetup group. I didn't get a chance to put up any fancy pictures or anything, but it's now official. Schuylkill County Real Estate Investors Group
Real Estate Broker · SCRANTON, PA · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 11 votes
8y
I just noticed this post and joined the meetup. Found it strange there was nothing local to Schuylkill County (closest I found was Allentown). Wanted to thank you in advance for taking the initiative in doing this. I am curious to learn about the different areas of the county. By any chance did anyone attend the Sheriff's Sale yesterday in Pottsville? Looking forward to attending and meeting local investors / like minded folks.
Pottsville, PA · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 5 votes
8y
Thank you @Ross Miller for creating a meetup and the legwork on finding a location, I look forward to meeting everyone!
Thank you @Dmitriy Fomichenko for the suggestions, I have found bigger pockets a great source of information and have been taking advantage of all the great information this site has to offer!
@Steven Perre I had planned to attend the sale just to see how it all worked but wasn't able to make it.
Pottsville, PA · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 5 votes
8y
Hello @Rob Gillespie, I don't live near Beaver but In my traveling sprinkler fitter days I spent a lot of time in and around the Pittsburgh area as well as your home state working near Cleveland, Ashtabula (loved it there) and Napoleon at Campbell Soup (never ate canned soup again lol). Thank you for the tips and I will take you up on your offer on the contracts. I have collected several different copies but not sure I like any of them. I plan on using bits and pieces from them to create one that suits me and then it's legality checked out by an attorney for use in Pa.
I'm a newbie trying to educate myself on real estate investing starting with wholesaling and leading to fix and flip. I'm interested in meeting other investors in the Pa area and start building my network. Bigger Pockets showed up in many of my Google searches so I decided I needed to become a member, I Learned so much before ever signing up!
Rental Property Investor · Woodbridge, VA · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
7y
All,
Great to hear there’s a community of Investors from Schuylkill County on BP! I graduated from Schuylkill Haven high school in 2003 but have lived out of state since going away to college and joining the military. I’m currently stationed in DC at the Pentagon which is the closest I’ve been in the last 10 years.
A friend (who lives in Pottsville) and I are interested in partnering to buy property in the area. Our initial thought was a cheap property in the northern part of the county that we could cash flow on. However I realize there’s some risk with older, run down properties and that I don’t see a clear path to a lot of those assets appreciating much over time so it would be a cash flow play. Any thoughts on this concept generally? I really want to take action and do something to get over the initial hesitancy to buy but also want to be smart about it. Have there been areas of the county where people have had particular success?
I’m planning to purchase in the first half of 2019. I’d appreciate any advice people have and particularly recommendations on realtors, lenders, handymen/contractors, etc. Thanks in advance for your help.
Hi everyone! I’m new to the Pottsville area. I currently own one property and it’s a liability (the house I live in). I’ve recently been learning about creative financing and I’m looking forward to meeting others that might ve doing the same. I want to connect with local investors. Where ya’ll at? let’s get together and see what we can do.