New Investor in the DC Metro area

New Investor in the DC Metro area

Clinton, MD · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 17 votes
I’m Winston Cummings, a 47 year old father of 2 grown children. I’m currently work for the Postal Service as a Mail Carrier and I’m in the DC Metro area. I joined this forum to gain knowledge and information about REI. I’m would love to meet and learn from a Mentor/ Investors/ Lenders and other associates I’m ready to put in the legwork and gain financial freedom. Please feel free to reach out. Also other members ideas and advice are welcome. Good luck to everyone. By the way the nature of my current job allows me to see properties, I talk to residents who are going through situations and are ready to give up or to sell. I deliver the correspondence to these residents. I’m talking to a resident right now so any investor in my area I can give that lead to or we can partner up for me to learn the process as well. Thanks everyone. # winning.
2Reply
15 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 715 posts · 138 votes
    8y
    Winston Cummings Welcome to BiggerPockets! It is great to have you and please feel free to jump in the community - there are certainly great people around here
  • Real Estate Agent · Falls Church · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Winston Cummings maybe we can meet up and have a chat sometime. Do you ever make it into Northern Virginia?

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    @Winston Cummings

    Welcome to the BP family! Great that you joined the site! Here are some recommendations for you:

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet
    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
    Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing
    Check out BP Podcasts: http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/podcast/

    If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select the name of that person which should appear below the comments box. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

    Wishing you the best!

  • Real Estate Broker · MI · Member since 2014 · 594 posts · 183 votes
    8y

    @Winston Cummings I would advise you to read your employment contract with the postal service. I would be curious to know what the rules of engagements are in disclosing the homeowner's situation since you provide a service to them on a federal level?

    Perhaps I don't know what I'm talking about or I'm thinking too hard about it?

    It's interesting to think about a mail-man/mail-woman as a possible bird dog. Perhaps it's not any different when home warranty companies send out contractors to fix a problem because the contractor could be a bird dog as well. 

    You have given me something to think about. 

    Thanks for the thread and topic!

    I'm from Fairfax, VA and worked in D.C. for years.

    PM me and we can discuss your opportunity if not talk about becoming a bird dog and how that would work. 

    All the best!

  • Clinton, MD · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 17 votes
    8y

    I appreciate the welcome and the advices.  All well taken

  • Flipper · Washington, DC · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 27 votes
    8y

    Welcome to the community. There's tons of information in the real estate field; good, bad or otherwise irrelevant to your investment strategy. My advise would be to partner with people actively doing real investment and learn while you do joint ventures. Also, probably best to avoid "gurus". I'm in the DC area as well so feel free to reach out if you have any other questions. 

  • Clinton, MD · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 17 votes
    8y

    Mr. Rorie, I appreciate the advice and definitely will be reaching out as soon as possible.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.