New Belgian 25yo Real Estate Investor :)

New Belgian 25yo Real Estate Investor :)

Antwerp, Belgium · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 11 votes

Hi BP'ers! Let me introduce myself :)

I am a 25 yo Belgian dude from the Antwerp area, now looking for my first multifamily property. I am looking for a 2-5 unit property with 8-10% gross return.

I know that a lot of you guys are looking for 12% + deals, and use the 1% or even 2% rule, but in Belgium, the real estate market is a little different. Which is awesome btw :) I'm not complaining at all. But it might be interesting for you guys to see what the market looks like overseas. 

  • expensive housing: Belgium is a reaaalllyyy small country, with way too many people living there. The population density is 10x as high as in the US (372 vs 35 per sq. km), so properties are quite expensive. In the Antwerp area, where I am looking to buy, the price for a small (1-2 bedroom) appartment is about 120-150k. That's in euros, so x1.2 for dollar amounts. For a small single family house you easily pay 250-300k euros.
  • low rent: renting out that same 150k appartment will make you about 600-650 euros/m, which is still decent. Renting out that 250k house on the other hand, will only make you about 750- 850 euros. That's only a 3 - 3.5% gross return for landlords..
  • high acquisition costs: for a rental property, you will pay 10% "registration costs" on top of the purchase price. Add notary costs, mortgage costs, etc and you will often end up with 13-15% acquisition costs on top of the purchase price. Remember that 250k small single family house? Add about 35-37k acquisition costs to it that you will have to pay out of pocket.

So why would I still want to invest in real estate? Because we can still make 50% return on investment (ROI) per year. Here is why.

  • cheap loans! This is the big one. If, like me, you take your time to compare banks and mortgage brokers, you might be able to find a loan at about 2% fixed interest. Recently I found a bank who eventually offered me a variable interest rate of 1.18%! Worst case scenario, that interest rate can double to 2.36% in a couple of years, but hey that's still incredibly low. And it won't make my montly payments more expensive. The extra interest cost will only add some extra months to my 20 or 25 year loan.
  • 100% loans! For every property I will have to pay the acquisition costs, but after a long search I found a couple of banks who offered to loan me the full purchase price, over a period of 20 to 25 years.

If I combine those 2, that means that for a 200k property, I only pay off about 750 euros/month (4.5%) over a 25y period. Add an extra 1 or 2% for all kinds of costs like property taxes and reparations. Total cost: +- 6%

So remember I said in the beginning that I would love to find a 9% ROI property? That property will cost me about 6% a year (which pays off the loan for me) and make me another 3% passive income on the total value of the property! On a 200k property, that means:

  • 12k costs (loan, repairs, taxes etc)
  • 6k extra income (€500 a month in the pocket)
  • ROI on my acquisition costs (30k), the only thing I paid out of pocket = 6k (increasing) cash + 9k loan payoff + property appreciation makes an easy 50% ROI possible.

Rental prices will be indexed every year, so that number will rise and so will the value of the property, while the loan will always stay at €750/month.

Of course, the example above means I will have to find a property which makes about 1500/month rental income which is really hard but not impossible. I just keep searching through thousands of listings to find that one multi-family gem  ;)

That was it guys! Leave a comment or ask all your questions! 

Thomas

2Reply
40 views

Most Popular Reply

Robin DassyPro Member
Midland, TX · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 7 votes
8y

Hello Thomas,

Good to see I'm not the only Belgian on here, I'm from Liège (Luik) myself. I'm currently living in Texas, looking to find a great deal in my market within the next 6 months. I really thought a bunch of strategies such as BRRRR would not be possible in Belgium, making it harder to keep purchasing properties in quick succession. Also the notary fees and closing costs are outrageous compared to what you pay out here. I'm also not sure property with delinquent taxes are easily accessible as they are here.

I guess this is mostly offset by the lower interest rates, I remember my family being completely shocked when I told them what mortgage rates are in the U.S.

Glad to see you still worked out numbers that would make it work for you in the homeland! I really hope you’ll be able to find one of these deals. What areas have you been looking at so far? Have you considered maybe acquiring a building with the potential of being turned into multiple “kot” student apartments in the big university towns? I hope you’ll find a great deal pretty soon, looking forward to seeing updates from you.


As for investing in the U.S., you can't really buy property without preparation. For example, you will need to apply for an ITIN number, which is a tax-processing number assigned to foreign nationals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number. I would advise you to do some research and potentially connect with people here, such as attorneys and/or seasoned investors, who have experience dealing with foreign investors. A good way to start your research would be to start looking into the legal side of it, and most likely to explore the terms of purchase of any State you're looking into. This Zillow Foreign Buyer's Guide would be a good start.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brussels, Belgium · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    Hello Thomas! Very interesting read, I thought it was not possible to find interesting deals in Belgium so I would be really interested in hearing more about your deal once you find the property you want to buy. Where are you looking for properties? You think Antwerp is the best place to buy in Belgium?

  • Antwerp, Belgium · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    Hi @Guillaume Elleboudt. I know what you mean. When I listened to the podcast it all seemed so easy in the US. And comparing that to our country, the results were very different. But once I started to figure out that real estate can be interesting here too, but the rules are just different, I started to find really good deals. But in Belgium you really don't want to start an LLC or anything for your real estate, but just buy it in your own name, which is much more profitable.

    No Antwerp is just the area I am familiar with :) I really need to know for what prices houses are selling and renting out in the area to quickly recognize a good deal, so that's why I stick to the Antwerp province. But here 99% of deals are also not good at all. I just look at so many of them that I sometimes find really good ones.

    What about you? Are you looking to buy real estate too or lend money to investors or..?

  • Brussels, Belgium · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    Do you look online to find deals? (immoweb or other websites?)

    At the moment I'm saving up to invest in RE in the US at some point.

  • Antwerp, Belgium · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    Yes mostly online. 
    Good luck with your US investments! Is it possible to just buy something there as a foreigner?

  • Robin DassyPro Member
    Midland, TX · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    Hello Thomas,

    Good to see I'm not the only Belgian on here, I'm from Liège (Luik) myself. I'm currently living in Texas, looking to find a great deal in my market within the next 6 months. I really thought a bunch of strategies such as BRRRR would not be possible in Belgium, making it harder to keep purchasing properties in quick succession. Also the notary fees and closing costs are outrageous compared to what you pay out here. I'm also not sure property with delinquent taxes are easily accessible as they are here.

    I guess this is mostly offset by the lower interest rates, I remember my family being completely shocked when I told them what mortgage rates are in the U.S.

    Glad to see you still worked out numbers that would make it work for you in the homeland! I really hope you’ll be able to find one of these deals. What areas have you been looking at so far? Have you considered maybe acquiring a building with the potential of being turned into multiple “kot” student apartments in the big university towns? I hope you’ll find a great deal pretty soon, looking forward to seeing updates from you.


    As for investing in the U.S., you can't really buy property without preparation. For example, you will need to apply for an ITIN number, which is a tax-processing number assigned to foreign nationals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number. I would advise you to do some research and potentially connect with people here, such as attorneys and/or seasoned investors, who have experience dealing with foreign investors. A good way to start your research would be to start looking into the legal side of it, and most likely to explore the terms of purchase of any State you're looking into. This Zillow Foreign Buyer's Guide would be a good start.

    Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

  • Antwerp, Belgium · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    Hi @Robin Dassy, sounds great! I haven't figured out yet if the BRRRR strategy would work here. You can always find great fixer uppers but I would love to know if I could refinance it afterwards at a higher value and pull money out. Not sure if banks do that here in Belgium or in the Netherlands..
    Let me know how your first deal in Texas works out :) 

  • Brussels, Belgium · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    @Thomas L. Yes, it's not that difficult to invest in the US, usually through a LLC. The more complicated part is to find financing as it's really difficult to find financing in the US as a foreigner (or you have to pay 10% interest rate).

    I'm a lawyer in Belgium so if you have legal questions, don't hesitate to ask!

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Thomas L. and @Guillaume Elleboudt I've written an extensive article on how international investors can get exposure to US deals. Although the title says Canadian, this works for all international investors. 

    How Canadian Can Investors Participate in US Real Estate Syndications

    As @Robin Dassy has pointed out, it's not a simple matter of transferring money and buying properties. You have to structure yourself the right way to avoid surprised and minimize the tax burden. 

    Happy to answer any question you might have.

  • Brussels, Belgium · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    Thanks for the information @Omar Khan.

  • Antwerp, Belgium · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    Did any of my fellow Belgian/Dutch colleagues here on Biggerpockets find investors in Belgium or The Netherlands to partner up with when buying real estate?

  • Antwerp, Flanders · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    Hey Thomas, 

    I'm also looking to do a house hack in the near future. I recently went to the Netherlands for a meetup in Utrecht (https://www.facebook.com/events/1978614262457564/) and there are people who've done house hacks there, so it's also possible in Belgium as financing is cheaper here at the moment. 

    It looks like the key is not buying small one family homes but buy a +- 200K building and rent 4-5 rooms around 375-380 and live in the basement/attic for a while. Something like a dorm or renting to young professionals who still want to save seems like a good idea. disclaimer: I have no properties yet ;)

    I do think you're underestimating the monthly costs for having a property. There's not just taxes and repairs but also insurance, vacancy, water/gas/electric/internet, garden and maybe putting something aside for once-in-a-lifetime big overhauls (roof for example) every month. 

    Anyone up for a meetup in the near future? Going over zimmo and finding deals in a public library or going to a home improvement shop to figure out repair costs.

    xoxo

  • Investor · Malta, Swieqi · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    Hi guys :)

    @Thomas L. @Simon Somlai @Guillaume Elleboudt

    It's so nice to connect with Belgian investors ;)

    That's a very interesting thread. I am also an investor from Belgium. Just moved back in the BW area 6 months ago after several years abroad and actively looking to invest in Belgium.

    After heaps of researches over the past 6 months, here are my personal conclusions: If I want to buy in Belgium, some areas seems more interesting than others - to me Liege, Charleroi and Gent seems more interesting. But you've got to be willing to potentially deal with difficult tenants (Charleroi for eg.).

    Another option to me is investing via public Auction, it takes more time and efforts - also the acquisition costs are higher - but you might end up with a very good deal in a very nice area that you can rent at a higher price.

    However, I invested abroad (Malta) 4 years ago and it seems very difficult to find such great opportunities in Belgium (especially with the acquisition costs being so high). I still think that investing abroad (even though more difficult for different reasons such as languages, culture, laws, banks, researches and visits, etc) might be a better option. Because I love managing vacation rentals (and that's of course a personal choice), I am currently looking at countries with high potential for tourism in the coming years still having very low real estate prices. I am thinking about different Eastern Europe countries, Portugal, some places in Spain and Italy, etc...

    Once again, it's a very personal choice but I just wanted to share what have been my conclusions over the past months researching in Belgium.

    Have a great day all :)

    Pauline

  • Antwerp, Belgium · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    Hi Pauline! 

    Thanks for sharing your experiences. Yes, public auctions may indeed have huge potential, but are a lot of work to physically attend. I mainly buy in the Antwerp area myself but I assume you can find deals everywhere :)
    May I ask what the property and numbers in Malta look like? Plus how do you manage them from abroad?

  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Hi Thomas L.,

    How's the search going? 

    Did you find a multi-family or a single unit? I am curious :)

    I'm new on the forum and invest in small projects with a lot of renovation work in the flanders.

  • Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Thomas L.:

    Hi Pauline! 

    Thanks for sharing your experiences. Yes, public auctions may indeed have huge potential, but are a lot of work to physically attend. I mainly buy in the Antwerp area myself but I assume you can find deals everywhere :)
    May I ask what the property and numbers in Malta look like? Plus how do you manage them from abroad?

    2nd. Also curious to learn about the management systems you set up! Numbers would be interesting as well of course :-) 

  • Antwerp, Belgium · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    4y
    Yes I bought a 5-flex. Currently renovating that to upgrade the cash flow!


    Originally posted by @Victor Lorenzo Martinez:

    Hi Thomas L.,

    How's the search going? 

    Did you find a multi-family or a single unit? I am curious :)

    I'm new on the forum and invest in small projects with a lot of renovation work in the flanders.

  • Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    4y
    @Pauline Hanuise: Have been screening price to rent ratio's in Belgium as well and came to the same conclusion. Hainaut (Charleroi & Mons) and Liège seem to have the best performing ratios. 

    Have you bought a property in Belgium in the meanwhile? If so, what property type and what region? 
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.