New to Real Estate and the Denver Area

12 Replies

Hi everyone! 

My name is Dalton and I'm new to Bigger Pockets and real estate in general. I just graduated in May from Kansas State in Industrial Engineering and I'm moving in July to the Denver, Colorado area, so it's a totally new market for me. I'm in the early phases now of educating myself and saving for my first property but ultimately I'd like to be involved in buy and hold rentals of multi-family homes. My goal is to have my first property 1 year after moving, so by July of 2019. I'm excited to learn as much as possible and connect with others on Bigger Pockets. I'd love to hear from you about any advice or strategies you use or just your story in real estate.

Thanks

Welcome Dalton! 

I'm in the same boat - new to BP & real estate - but have been here in Colorado (lived/worked in Colorado Springs, but work in Denver now) for the past few years. You're going to LOVE it! Yeah, it's expensive, but there's so much to do and explore. There is definitely a reason that people are flocking here from all over!

I look forward to hopefully seeing you at some BP events in the future!

Welcome @Dalton Toelkes . Like AJ said you are coming here for the right reason, but it will be an interesting market compared to where you are. The best way to dig in here is to come out to the meetups and get to know folks. Feel free to send me a message and we could grab a drink when you get to town. I can give you the realities of getting into multis right now.

Hi Dalton and all. I just moved my family in to Castle Rock and my wife and I are anticipating getting out first multi-family before the end of the summer. We plan to start investing in FL because of our network on the ground there. However, it would be great to start finding deals in CO as well. Can’t wait to start going to meet ups. If anyone hears or knows of any, please let us know!

@Dalton Toelkes hi and welcome to biggerpockets. One of the best investments you can begin is with house hacking which is you live in one and rent out the other. May even be able to live for free or at least very little. Not to mention attaining equity at the same time in your property. Congrats on graduating that in itself is a great accomplishment! Good luck in RE

@Dalton Toelkes Welcome to BP family! You'll find a ton of great resources here. Also, in addition to reading books and listening to podcast, I'd strongly encourage you join meetup site and find local REI groups. Networking is essential in real estate or any other business for that matter. It allows you to meet like-minded individuals and potentially future partners and/or team members to work with.

Best of luck!

Originally posted by @Dan Mackin :

@Tyler Sharrett there is a meetup coming up this Monday in Denver. You'll find it in the link in this thread.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/580877-erie-colorado-gathering-of-badass-real-estate-investors-7-4-2018?page=1#p3499873

Just gonna tag some of the other new folks in this thread so they see the meetup announcement

@Dalton Toelkes

@AJ Weigand

Hope you guys will come.  It's a great networking opportunity!

@Dalton Toelkes

Welcome to the BP family! Glad you joined the best real estate investing website! Here are some recommendations for you:

Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet
Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select the name of that person which should appear below the comments box. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

Wishing you the best!

@Dalton Toelkes

Welcome to Bigger Pockets and to Denver. Great beer, legal weed, nearby mountains and 300 days of sunshine. It's a great place to live right now. I spent four years in Lawrence, Kansas so I know Manhattan decently well. I think you'll be pretty happy with the Mile High City.

I'd echo the suggestion that you come to the BP meetup tonight. (I'd say the same for @AJ Weigand .) It's a great place to meet a bunch of people at various stages of their investment lives.

Good luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you