A Friendly Hello From Sacramento

A Friendly Hello From Sacramento

New to Real Estate · San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 9 votes

My name is Shea Bartolino and I would consider myself a novice within the real estate world. I am twenty-eight years old and live in the Sacramento, Ca area. I purchased my first home at twenty-six with a VA home loan. I have actually been in the Navy for nine years and plan on transitioning out next June.

For the last two years I have been trying to figure out what I wanted to do when I got out of the military. Around March or April of this year my good friend loaned me a copy of “Set For Life,” by Scott Trench, and it was exactly what I had been looking for. After finishing the book I started to ask myself, if I had enough money to do anything, what would I do? Real estate was the answer. So now I find myself here.

As of right now I am a full-time college student at Pennsylvania State University and I work full time as a recruiter for the Navy. I have been working on an A.S. in Business Administration and a B.S. in Organizational Leadership. In my free time I have been listening to audiobooks, podcasts, reading and researching the world of real estate.

My immediate goal is to educate myself on real estate investing and get my real estate license. Once I get out of the military I would like to work as an agent and eventually transition full-time to investing. Additionally, I plan to move from my single family home to a multi family unit within the next 6-10 months. The thing that has really motivated me is the idea of helping my community and solving peoples problems. As a recruiter, I feel that is something I currently do and would love to continue that kind of work. The biggest piece of all this that excites me is the challenge.

I hope to meet some new people, learn from them, and eventually I hope they can learn from me. Thanks for reading. 

1Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Turlock, CA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 6 votes
8y

Hey Shea, nice meeting you. I'm in a very similar boat right now, I occupy a SFR in Turlock that I bought with the VA loan after I got out of the Army. I'm currently looking for MFHs in the next few months as well to owner-occupy.

Have you got in contact with @Wes Blackwell? He sends out a great MFH list for the Sac/Central Valley area and has a lot of expertise with what you're trying to do.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael S.Pro Member
    Biggerpockets Support · Las Pinas, Metro Manila · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    You got great plans to start with Shea and all the best in your investing. 

    BiggerPockets
  • Scott TrenchPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    Shea - I'm so glad that you enjoyed Set for Life! Welcome to BiggerPockets and best of luck on your journey! 

  • New to Real Estate · San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 9 votes
    8y
    @Scott Trench thanks for reaching out. Definitely helped me focus some of my ideas. Talking about the corporate structure really hit a nerve for me- being in the Navy has a similar structure, and I am looking to get away from that.
  • Turlock, CA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    Hey Shea, nice meeting you. I'm in a very similar boat right now, I occupy a SFR in Turlock that I bought with the VA loan after I got out of the Army. I'm currently looking for MFHs in the next few months as well to owner-occupy.

    Have you got in contact with @Wes Blackwell? He sends out a great MFH list for the Sac/Central Valley area and has a lot of expertise with what you're trying to do.

  • New to Real Estate · San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 9 votes
    8y
    @Jesse Grothaus we have talked a little back and forth but I haven’t moved forward with the process yet. I will definitely keep him in my contacts though. Thanks for the recommendation!
  • Rental Property Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2018 · 133 posts · 171 votes
    8y

    Welcome @Shea Bartolino and thank you for your service!

    I am also reside in the Sacramento area although I am not currently invested here at this time.  But I do have my a few years of real estate experience in sales and investing.  Feel free to PM me if you want to talk real estate sometime.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.