What To DO About A ROTH IRA When Investing In Real Estate

4 Replies

Hi Everyone,

I've been trying to figure out what I should do regarding a retirement account, more specifcally a Roth IRA. I plan on getting into real estate soon but I'm trying to jumble both real estate investing and a retirement account on the other hand.

Should I just treat my real estate invesments as my "Retirement" chunk to live off of in the future? Or should I have both, a Roth IRA and real estate?

I've been very confused and would like to know what your more experianced investors are doing for retirement and such. Some say it's a waste now to have a IRA and others don't...

Do you have a Roth IRA? If so, what company do you have the account through? Do you like the company?

Thank you,

Cody

@Cody Jensen I just attended a session with Michelle Brady of Equity Trust at my local REIA meetup, and her company seemed reputable and a go-to resource for those interested in using self-directed IRAs to fund their real estate investing.

Since I started my investing journey strictly thru stock and forex market, I think retirement accounts are a waste. For those that don't know how to invest in the stock market, go for it. Especially if your employer does contribution match. 

Only reason why I see it as a waste, is that you can essentially do the same job as the guy you are giving the money to and normally get a higher return (if you know what you are doing). 

Remember, the quickest and safest way to build wealth is having multiple different incomes from different sectors. 

@Cody Jensen

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you