First Time Investor on Long Island, New York

First Time Investor on Long Island, New York

Jimmy SmithPro Member
Lake Grove, NY · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 6 votes

Hey Everyone!

I'm very glad to be joining this community. Here's a bit of my background and what has brought me here.

While serving in the US Navy as a Seabee (civil engineer corps), I decided to separate after my first enlistment as it was not what I had hoped it would be. While it was an incredible and priceless experience, I believed I would be happier on the civilian side of things. I currently live on Long Island, I'm studying business, and work a job with a very irregular schedule and hours in Brooklyn and Queens. Despite the job paying well, offering benefits, and having career potential, I came to realize it is not the lifestyle I want. I have passed up a few career opportunities and changed majors several times, often feeling like I was lost finding what I wanted to do in life. Nothing seemed right to me. Last summer, it clicked. I didn't want to work for someone, I wanted freedom. This led me down a weird series of events as I didn't know exactly when I wanted to do, and although I made numerous mistakes with ventures that I am no longer pursuing, I learned a lot. 

After spending quite a long time of deciding how I intend to pursue financial freedom, I ran into a very young Real Estate Investor at an entrepreneurial workshop catering to military Veterans I attended in Austin, Texas late last year. After the the first day of the workshop we were invited to attended a networking event downtown. I offered him a ride together we headed about forty minutes to downtown Austin. Conversation ensued, and I was baffled by the Idea that a 23 year-old could have achieved as much as he has investing in real estate. That ride turned on the lightbulb, I had to pick his brain as much as I could. The rest of that time at the event I tried to learn as much as I could from him. Turns out, he got his start through a guru-style mentor and paid a ton for it. Along with flipping, he now does paid mentoring, but offers much more than his mentor, and is tremendously successful in his endeavors. He made a very soft pitch to me, but I knew there had to be a better way than handing someone $50,000 and saying "show me the way." I started reading about real estate investing voraciously.

I decided to join the community when I finished reading a book Josh Dorkin & Brandon Turner wrote, How to Invest in Real Estate. While previous books I read were certainly informative, they didn't feel as friendly and were certainly not as concisely written as this one. It truly helped me overcome my analysis paralysis and has made me feel confident enough to take the leap.

I won't get into detail in this post about my aspirations in real estate investing, but I would like to say I'm very happy to have found this community. If there is anyone in the Long Island area that would like to get together and chat about projects, ideas, or investing, please let me know!

1Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 493 posts · 386 votes
7y

Welcome to BP, and yes there are better ways than handing someone 50K to "show you the way".

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 493 posts · 386 votes
    7y

    Welcome to BP, and yes there are better ways than handing someone 50K to "show you the way".

  • Flipper/Rehabber · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 76 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    Welcome to the community!  I wish we were closer but I'm on the West coast here in WA state.  My partner and I want to thank you for your service and wish you well in your new endeavor!

  • Ronan DonnellyPro Member
    Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2012 · 332 posts · 385 votes
    7y

    Welcome to BP!

  • Jimmy SmithPro Member
    OP
    Lake Grove, NY · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    Thank you, all! I’m very excited to begin my new ventures!

  • Justin WindhamPro Member
    Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets, @Jimmy Smith!

    You'll find plenty of friendly, knowledgeable people willing to help respond to your questions. Many members are experts in their respective fields related to real estate investing, whether that is real estate brokerage, wholesaling, flipping, buy and hold, lending, self-directed IRA and Solo 401k investing, or tax and legal guidance.

    There are some pretty cool discounts on various products and services offered as Perks to BP members that you might want to check out: https://www.biggerpockets.com/perks/pro

    The site has quite a few tools that can be helpful for new members. For example, if you are looking to connect with other members near you, want to learn from people in a specific area you’d like to invest in, or have a desire to find people interested in certain topics, you could start your search here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search/users

    I really like the alerts feature that can quickly guide you to current topics that might interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

    There are a few self-contained guides that you can access here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/guides

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.