AirB&B vacation rental using USDA loan. Advice or experiences?

AirB&B vacation rental using USDA loan. Advice or experiences?

Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 6 votes

I would like to purchase a vacation rental using USDA loan. Any advice or experiences?

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Dawn BrenengenBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

@Eldon Hongo

USDA loans are for primary residences only, so it will not work for a vacation rental

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Turbotville, PA · Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    We had setup a very high quality Airbnb unit in a popular vacation destination in Samoa. Two months went by, with not a single possible. Someone finally responded, asked some questions, the fell through. Check to see on Airbnb in your chosen area to see if there's a high level of demand, and if there are already too many other units in the area. It can be easy to overestimate your future earnings.

  • Dawn BrenengenBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Eldon Hongo

    USDA loans are for primary residences only, so it will not work for a vacation rental

  • Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    Thanks for your advice! I’ll check that area’s market potential through AirB&B and other local contacts and sources

  • Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    Greetings Dawn! Thanks for your professional response. I need to keep trying with everyone’s help. Aloha, Eldon

  • Rental Property Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2018 · 50 posts · 51 votes
    7y

    I'm not very well versed on USDA loans, so I thought I'd throw out this idea. @Dawn Brenengen could you purchase a multi-family property, live in a unit and vacation rental the other(s) on a USDA loan? Just trying to throw out some creative ideas for you @Eldon Hongo . Might not work depending on where you want to live and such.

  • Dawn BrenengenBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Lauren Havens  I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure the house can not involve an investment component at all and qualify for USDA.

  • Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Dawn Brenengen

    Greetings Dawn! Hope all is well. It took a few days to obtain info from the usda office because of government shutdown. I talked to them today and you are completely correct that I can’t get a loan for purchasing a rental property through them. In Brandon Turner’s book “Investing in RE w/no or low money down” he indicates that the usda offers a loan w/10% down for non owner occupied property.

    Oh well. I just have to go another way. Thanks for your correspondence and Aloha, Eldon HONGO

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.