New Investor looking to buy first property

New Investor looking to buy first property

Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 5 votes

Hello,

I'm 25, and new to REI. I've been interested in investing for some time now and I hope. To buy my first property this year. I work in Tech and live in Seattle, however, I'm moving to Chicago in August. Is anyone interested in helping a newbie?

Much appreciated.

Cheers!

2Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 51 posts · 22 votes
7y

@Sophia D.

Hello and welcome. I would suggest start reading and listening to the biggerpockets podcasts. There is a list of great books on this website that should keep you busy for a while. Its helped me a ton. Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 51 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    @Sophia D.

    Hello and welcome. I would suggest start reading and listening to the biggerpockets podcasts. There is a list of great books on this website that should keep you busy for a while. Its helped me a ton. Good luck!

  • Retirement Accounts Attorney · Southfield, MI · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Sophia D.

    Welcome to BP!

  • Lender · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2011 · 587 posts · 435 votes
    7y

    @Sophia D. love chi-town.  I would recommend familiarizing yourself with the concept of house hacking.  There are tons of other posts on here which will explain the concept much better and more detailed that I can do I won’t go to deep. Basically, the idea is buying a property, preferably a 2-4 unit, living in one unit, renting out the other units, and letting that rent pay you mortgage. 

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/11/02/hack-housing-get-paid-live-free/

    You can then most likely use the Homepossible mortgage which only requires 5% down and gives you a very low 30 year fixed mortgage. You can even use the proposed rent as qualifying income to enhance your buying power. 

  • WA · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Spohia D. 

    I'm an investor in the Seattle area 

    Would love to help if possible 

    You're in a great place to start with Biggerpockets wealth of information here!

  • Real Estate Agent · Renton, WA · Member since 2017 · 204 posts · 151 votes
    7y

    @Sophia D.  You're at the right place here on BP,  take the time to educate yourself and understand the market you'll be moving into.  There are lots of season investors here on BP reachout and network as they can help guide. Happy Investing!

  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    @Eric Veronica, I'll definitely look into this. I thought about buying using an FHA at 3.5%, fix & flip the property or buy & hold - maybe live in it for a short time. Seems like an interesting article. I'll look into it.

    Sophia

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 515 votes
    7y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets, @Sophia D. BP is maybe the greatest free resource to help you get started in Real Estate Investment there is on the internet. Congratulations and I wish you a ton of success.

  • Attorney · Northbrook, IL · Member since 2017 · 719 posts · 549 votes
    7y

    @Sophia D. House hacking is a really smart play at your age. We have lots of properties in Chicago that will give you the opportunity.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.