Hello! New member from Boston MA area that is excited to learn!

Hello! New member from Boston MA area that is excited to learn!

Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 2 votes

Hello!


My name is Anthony and I just recently decided to get into real estate for more financial freedom. I am 31 years old and wish I got into this sooner. I bought a house recently and I wish I figured out house hacking before I bought.  So far I've read Rich Dad Poor Dad (Which got me in gear to work towards a better financial future), and How to Invest in Real Estate: The Ultimate Beginners guide. Now I am currently reading Rental Property Investing by Brandon Turner.

I'm hoping that rental properties are the way to go. I have some money saved up and in about a year or two I should have enough money for a rental property, maybe even a multi-family. I would love to connect with people who are in the same area and have similar goals!

Thanks!

Anthony

0Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y

Hey Anthony. Congrats on making the steps towards making it happen. Just be sure as you research and explore that you learn about the numbers too. Boston isn't cash flow friendly so you want to be clear on exactly what you're doing and know why you're doing it (which often comes down to the numbers). You can make it work, just know what all is going on.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Valley cottage NY · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 37 votes
    7y

    Hi Anthony,

     Welcome to BP!  Are you interested in out of state investing for buy and hold? I live in ny but I currently invest in Pa where there is good cash flow and a growing market. 

  • Justin WindhamPro Member
    Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Anthony D'Errico

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets!

    This is a great place to learn and network. A lot of forum members are very knowledgeable in their respective fields related to real estate investing, whether that is real estate sales, wholesaling, flipping, rentals, lending, self-directed IRA and Solo 401k investing, or tax and legal guidance.

    Discounts on some products and services are offered to BP members: https://www.biggerpockets.com/perks/pro

    The site has quite a few tools that can be helpful for new members. I like the search features: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search

    Alerts can be really helpful too: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

  • China, ME · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Anthony D'Errico If you're investing in buy & holds in MA, I *strongly* suggest that you look for a course on being a landlord in MA.  Like these: http://nwsoma.org/homebuyer-education/landlord-training/  http://www.mvhp.org/landlord-training and https://www.chapa.org/housing-courses/homebuyer-workshops?field_workshop_type_target_id=84&field_workshop_region_target_id=All&field_language_target_id=All&field_workshop_city_target_id=&field_workshop_event_date_value_1%5Bmin%5D=&field_workshop_event_date_value_1%5Bmax%5D=

    The laws here are slanted WILDLY in favor of tenants.  There are tens of thousands of landlords that do it successfully.  Get yourself educated and you can be one of them.

    Make a rookie mistake and your tenants will eat you alive.

  • Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Sean Mcevoy:

    Hi Anthony,

     Welcome to BP!  Are you interested in out of state investing for buy and hold? I live in ny but I currently invest in Pa where there is good cash flow and a growing market. 

     Hi Sean. Thanks for the response. At first I wanted to buy around my area, but the more I look at prices the more I want to find another market to invest in. Massachusetts is very expensive and I am afraid as a newbie that I will invest more and possibly lose more. I know that its more about finding a good deal and doing the right research to make sure your investment will return a good cash flow, but for someone who is just getting his feet wet it might be smart to start with some cheaper investments. It might be a while before I make my first investment, but I will look into PA. Thank you for the tip!

    By the way, I grew up in Monroe NY. Very close to Nyack!

  • Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Justin Windham:

    @Anthony D'Errico

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets!

    This is a great place to learn and network. A lot of forum members are very knowledgeable in their respective fields related to real estate investing, whether that is real estate sales, wholesaling, flipping, rentals, lending, self-directed IRA and Solo 401k investing, or tax and legal guidance.

    Discounts on some products and services are offered to BP members: https://www.biggerpockets.com/perks/pro

    The site has quite a few tools that can be helpful for new members. I like the search features: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search

    Alerts can be really helpful too: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

    Thank you for the reply. These are great resources. I am very glad I found this website!

  • Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Charlie MacPherson:

    @Anthony D'Errico If you're investing in buy & holds in MA, I *strongly* suggest that you look for a course on being a landlord in MA.  Like these: http://nwsoma.org/homebuyer-education/landlord-training/  http://www.mvhp.org/landlord-training and https://www.chapa.org/housing-courses/homebuyer-workshops?field_workshop_type_target_id=84&field_workshop_region_target_id=All&field_language_target_id=All&field_workshop_city_target_id=&field_workshop_event_date_value_1%5Bmin%5D=&field_workshop_event_date_value_1%5Bmax%5D=

    The laws here are slanted WILDLY in favor of tenants.  There are tens of thousands of landlords that do it successfully.  Get yourself educated and you can be one of them.

    Make a rookie mistake and your tenants will eat you alive.

    Thank you Charlie!

    Being a landlord is something that will be new to me. This will definitely come in handy when I get closer to my first rental property. Thank you for the link!

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Hey Anthony. Congrats on making the steps towards making it happen. Just be sure as you research and explore that you learn about the numbers too. Boston isn't cash flow friendly so you want to be clear on exactly what you're doing and know why you're doing it (which often comes down to the numbers). You can make it work, just know what all is going on.

  • Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ali Boone:

    Hey Anthony. Congrats on making the steps towards making it happen. Just be sure as you research and explore that you learn about the numbers too. Boston isn't cash flow friendly so you want to be clear on exactly what you're doing and know why you're doing it (which often comes down to the numbers). You can make it work, just know what all is going on.

     Thanks Ali!

    I have been reading up on MA and it does seem harder to make it work around here. I am still learning how to analyze properties and plan on going pro on this site to I can get access to the calculators so I can start practicing. Thank you for the heads up!

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Anthony D'Errico:
    Originally posted by @Ali Boone:

    Hey Anthony. Congrats on making the steps towards making it happen. Just be sure as you research and explore that you learn about the numbers too. Boston isn't cash flow friendly so you want to be clear on exactly what you're doing and know why you're doing it (which often comes down to the numbers). You can make it work, just know what all is going on.

     Thanks Ali!

    I have been reading up on MA and it does seem harder to make it work around here. I am still learning how to analyze properties and plan on going pro on this site to I can get access to the calculators so I can start practicing. Thank you for the heads up!

    You bet! Happy to help if you need anything. I have some calculators and articles on running numbers I can send you if you need them.

  • Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ali Boone:
    Originally posted by @Anthony D'Errico:
    Originally posted by @Ali Boone:

    Hey Anthony. Congrats on making the steps towards making it happen. Just be sure as you research and explore that you learn about the numbers too. Boston isn't cash flow friendly so you want to be clear on exactly what you're doing and know why you're doing it (which often comes down to the numbers). You can make it work, just know what all is going on.

     Thanks Ali!

    I have been reading up on MA and it does seem harder to make it work around here. I am still learning how to analyze properties and plan on going pro on this site to I can get access to the calculators so I can start practicing. Thank you for the heads up!

    You bet! Happy to help if you need anything. I have some calculators and articles on running numbers I can send you if you need them.

     I would love that actually, it would be super helpful. Thank you so much for your help!

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Anthony D'Errico:

    I would love that actually, it would be super helpful. Thank you so much for your help!

    Shoot me a message or an email. Happy to chat anytime.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.