Skip to content
New Member Introductions

User Stats

Votes

Motivated beginner in Gardendale, Alabama (North of Birmingham)

Posted Jun 19 2019, 08:43

Hello everyone,

I'm a self-employed piano technician (previously musician, theatre production manager, and sound designer/composer) who waited until pretty late to get serious about what my finances are going to look like as I get older. Now at 41 with a five year old it feels much more important to do whatever it takes to get the future on the right track. I'm tired of talking about doing something. I'm ready to learn what I need to in order to actually make an investment.

I'm pretty new to real estate. I'm living in my second home (now I wish I had kept the first and rented it out). Growing up I helped my dad by holding the tape measure as he worked on an appraisal or sweeping floors as he built a couple of small subdivisions. He didn't really pass much workable knowledge to me though, so what real estate knowledge I have is whatever I got through osmosis working with dad and through buying and selling my own homes.

Now I'm basically binge-listening to the podcast from the beginning and keeping my eyes open as I drive around. Not sure yet what I ultimately want to do, but I am leaning toward improving undeveloped land and then selling it. Buy-and--hold/rent homes is also somewhat appealing though I'm not sure how I feel yet about being a landlord. New construction would be a possible long-term pursuit but it's pretty intimidating right now.

I look forward to meeting everyone and learning/sharing knowledge along the way.

Brandon Robertson

Loading replies...