My first deal - student condo in Harrisonburg VA

My first deal - student condo in Harrisonburg VA

Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 1 vote

Hey everyone - first post! About 1 year ago I stumbled upon BP and since then have been educating myself so that I can do my first deal. I'm 25 and have been saving. I've decided to purchase a condo that in Harrisonburg, VA (4bd, 4ba). This will be rented out to students by the room for a total of $1800. Cash on Cash is 10% , cash flows at $390 a month after all expenses taken into account. I know that if I identified a deal that was BRRR or maybe in a different market or lower class neighborhood, I might be able to find a deal that has better numbers from a cap rate or cash on cash, but I think that this is a great first deal since I understand the market (went to school there), know how to find students to live there, and I can make this happen NOW.

Any thoughts or advice on college rentals? Any thoughts on the numbers described above? At the end of the day, I know know that after 10 years my profit (assuming it stays rented and appreciation is 1% per year) will be double what i would get in the stock market at 7% YoY returns. So it seems like a no brainer. 

Drop a comment below if you've got any first deal advice or tips on self managing college rentals. Appreciate it!


Hoping to look back here in 10 years and see how far my investing has come.

Josh

1Reply
16 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Harrisonburg, VA · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 29 votes
    7y

    What complex is it in?  

  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Justin - it is in Campus View. Are you familiar with the area?

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @josh I'm a senior at JMU actually living in campus view now. Come out to the Real Estate investors meeting this coming Wednesday to talk to more investors, realtors, and contractors in the area. Having these connections will help with self managing. Private message me for more details

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.