Newbie from Boston interested in syndication deals

Newbie from Boston interested in syndication deals

Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 3 votes

Hey everyone.  My name is Derek and I am new to real estate investing, or real estate in general.  I have been reading books, listening to podcasts, etc. for the past 6 months or so.  My goal is to be a passive investor in multi-families via syndication.  

I own a staffing firm and can't commit to investing FT, between trying to scale my business and raising 2 little boys, hence why passive investing is so appealing to me.

Look forward to connecting and hopefully meeting some of you in the future at events.

Thanks!

-Derek

1Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y

Welcome Derek! I do syndications and I invest in syndications. I've had a number of syndicators and syndication investors on my show to talk about vetting syndication deals and teams. The discussion with Jeremy Roll has gotten the most positive feedback, as he is a professional passive investor and has a ton of knowledge on the topic.

#1 lesson is the team comes first! Look at the team before the deal.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    Welcome Derek! I do syndications and I invest in syndications. I've had a number of syndicators and syndication investors on my show to talk about vetting syndication deals and teams. The discussion with Jeremy Roll has gotten the most positive feedback, as he is a professional passive investor and has a ton of knowledge on the topic.

    #1 lesson is the team comes first! Look at the team before the deal.

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    Thanks Taylor - I will check out your shows.

    The general rule of thumb seems to analyze the team before the deal (which makes sense..)  I have my eye on a few syndicators who appear to be reputable but ideally would rather meet the person before handing over my cash.  I like to think I'm a good judge of character :)  

    Thanks for the reply and info!

  • New Bedford, MA · Member since 2017 · 72 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    Welcome to the RE world and Bigger Pockets. I'm from New Bedford and work in Boston well, Waltham. I started looking into passive investing and ended up being a project mgr. on a flip. I am still interested in passive income and now looking into buy and hold multifamily and or commercial.

    I agree with Taylor's lesson # 1 and yes, meeting face to face lessons any anxieties and confirms your gut feelings. Always here to brainstorm.

    Best,

    John

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    Thanks for the welcome, John.  I am also interested in buy and holds.  Look forward to potentially meeting at an event.

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Derek Cirino What I say is to interview a lot of sponsors to find one that matches your investment risk level and that you like, which is being used very qualitatively. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    Thanks Ola, I plan on shortlisting a handful and going from there.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.