Rental Property Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 6 votes
Hi all,
As the title says, I'm an aspiring investor in the triangle area (Durham/Cary/Raleigh). I'm originally from Salisbury, NC and recently relocated to Raleigh after finishing up school in Greenville, NC. I'm not extremely familiar with the area, but I'm looking to house hack within the next 6 months. If anyone has advice on house hacking in the Raleigh area (or house hacking in general) or even recommendations for realtors/contacts who would be of help, it would be greatly appreciated. I appreciate any and all advice you may have and I'm extremely excited to start on my REI journey!:)
Denver, CO · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 2 votes
6y
Hi Ryan! I have not house hacked in Raleigh but I did for 1.5 years in Denver (I just moved back to NC). Here are a few things that come to mind: A) I would recommend finding a dependable landlord that will address any issues when they arise because you want to keep the roommates happy. B) Charge a flat rate per month because it can be a real pain collecting utilities when they come due. C) Sign everybody to a 3 month lease in the beginning to give both parties a way out if it is not a good fit. D) Find a 4+ bedroom house to make it worth your time, and you might want an extra fridge in the garage. E) I'd always invite the potential roommate to the bar after showing them the house because people talk (good or bad) when they start drinking.
Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y
@Ryan Smith Welcome to Bigger Pockets and to the Triangle. Are you wanting to buy a single family home and rent out rooms or buy a multifamily property and rent the other units? You can set up key words for the various towns and other topics you're interested in, and you'll get a notification any time someone is posting about those topics.
Rental Property Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 6 votes
6y
@Chris White thank you for the tips - very helpful. I'm very open to the idea of both options, SFH and multi family. Ideally, I would like to invest in a multi family.
Rental Property Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 6 votes
6y
@Dawn Brenengen thank you for the tips! I’ll definitely utilize those functions going forward. Ideally I would like to invest in a multi family but with how the market is in this area I’m not having much luck finding a property that fits the bill. I see that you’re a broker; I’ll send you a message and see if you can assist with my search.