New to BP: NEw Investor from NYC

New to BP: NEw Investor from NYC

Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 10 votes

Hello everyone, my name is Mariel, and I am a first time investor from NYC. I am 25 and love my current job, and do not intend to leave it anytime soon. With that being said, I do see real estate investing as an opportunity to secure a comfortable retirement, and allow me to spend more time with my future family. I love real estate and have been dreaming of owning rental properties since I was in college. I'm looking to bring in $4000/month in rental income in the next ten years, and hoping to buy one property per year. Unfortunately, I live and work in a VERY expensive market, and so must invest out of state. I've started my research process into other markets and I am saving up for my first property. I'm very excited to be here, and ready to learn as much as I can!

2Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Belfast, Northern Ireland · Member since 2018 · 128 posts · 56 votes
6y

@Mariel Schlaefer

Read David Greene's book about real estate investing out of state.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Belfast, Northern Ireland · Member since 2018 · 128 posts · 56 votes
    6y

    @Mariel Schlaefer

    Read David Greene's book about real estate investing out of state.

  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Noah Mccurley I am already halfway through it. Thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 493 posts · 386 votes
    6y

    @Mariel Schlaefer

    I came up w same conclusion and ended up

    Investing out of State. It is possible to invest in our market and I’ve met successful investors who do but for someone starting out it’s best to learn in a State that’s friendlier to Landlords.

    Welcome to BP!!

  • Accountant · White Plains, NY · Member since 2019 · 50 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    Hi Mariel, 

    Welcome to BP. I am from White Plains, NY and I am also looking to invest out of state. I have few markets in mind and I am still in the researching faze to determine the exact market I want to invest in. I have read couple of books and the one that really stood out was "The Millionaire real estate investor" by Gary Keller. 

    I would love to connect if you are interested so we can chat more and exchange ideas. 

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    Welcome to the BP family @Mariel Schlaefer ! Glad you joined the best real estate investing website!

    Here are some recommendations for you:

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search/users
    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
    Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing
    Check out BP Podcasts: https://www.biggerpockets.com/podcast

    Wishing you the best!

  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 666 votes
    6y

    @Mariel Schlaefer there are markets that provide double  digit net caps.  Its all about your team and knowledge , BTW, I have never read a book or went to a guru seminar. I have many clients that do not know anything about real estate, its all about numbers and again your team.  Hands on and actually doing deals is the best way 

    Good Luck 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.