New Investor from Brooklyn, NY looking for my first property

New Investor from Brooklyn, NY looking for my first property

Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 2 votes

I'm New to the Real Estate Platform and looking to invest in my first property somewhere not too far from where I live in Brooklyn, NY, preferably not more than an hours drive. It bothers me that the cash is sitting and waiting and I've yet to find a property to invest in because I have no idea where to find a good deal. Browsing online sites hasn't gotten me anywhere and after contacting a real estate agent or two, all they sent me was a huge list of properties from the mls to sort through with nothing promising. I have some family and friends that have invested but they are very vague when it comes to their work. Maybe they're afraid I'll find out their secrets? I think there is enough business to go around in this field. Perhaps someone here can give me some tips on how to make connections? Do I call all major real estate agencies? I've spoken to some but they weren't really interested in helping me or never returned my calls. I would love to hear from you all!

1Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · NYC · Member since 2017 · 123 posts · 88 votes
6y

Hey @Rachel Perl, Theres a multitude of ways to find investment properties. I personally make a lot of detailed post about digital marketing methods. Specifically PPC and you can find my good SEO friend @Jerryll Noorden talking about well you guessed it SEO (Search Engine Optimization). 

Other common methods are as one you discussed is MLS listings, direct mailing, bandit signs, driving for dollars, and sometimes you have a deal that gets crossed by you by other people you know.

Good idea for you is too start interacting more and making personable connections with all people in the real estate niche. Lots of investors have already told me you never know who you will meet or where your next deal will come from. 

Actually holding my own real estate meetup coming up in your area, if you would like more info on that just message me.

An unconventional way that I recently heard in a BP webinar was to reach out to people posting rental listings on Craigslist. Basically just addressing to them you are an investor looking for deals and that if he ever needs to sell your his guy, or however else you want to approach it. 

Good thing about this method is its getting a lot colder out and thats the time when a lot of problems and headaches arise for investors, so allows you to provide that solution to their problem by providing an offer on their property.  

Takes a little more grunt work but hey the person willing to hustle more gets the deals in my eyes. 

Hope I was of help!

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · NYC · Member since 2017 · 123 posts · 88 votes
    6y

    Hey @Rachel Perl, Theres a multitude of ways to find investment properties. I personally make a lot of detailed post about digital marketing methods. Specifically PPC and you can find my good SEO friend @Jerryll Noorden talking about well you guessed it SEO (Search Engine Optimization). 

    Other common methods are as one you discussed is MLS listings, direct mailing, bandit signs, driving for dollars, and sometimes you have a deal that gets crossed by you by other people you know.

    Good idea for you is too start interacting more and making personable connections with all people in the real estate niche. Lots of investors have already told me you never know who you will meet or where your next deal will come from. 

    Actually holding my own real estate meetup coming up in your area, if you would like more info on that just message me.

    An unconventional way that I recently heard in a BP webinar was to reach out to people posting rental listings on Craigslist. Basically just addressing to them you are an investor looking for deals and that if he ever needs to sell your his guy, or however else you want to approach it. 

    Good thing about this method is its getting a lot colder out and thats the time when a lot of problems and headaches arise for investors, so allows you to provide that solution to their problem by providing an offer on their property.  

    Takes a little more grunt work but hey the person willing to hustle more gets the deals in my eyes. 

    Hope I was of help!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Angel-Ty L.:

    Hey @Rachel Perl, Theres a multitude of ways to find investment properties. I personally make a lot of detailed post about digital marketing methods. Specifically PPC and you can find my good SEO friend @Jerryll Noorden talking about well you guessed it SEO (Search Engine Optimization). 

    Other common methods are as one you discussed is MLS listings, direct mailing, bandit signs, driving for dollars, and sometimes you have a deal that gets crossed by you by other people you know.

    Good idea for you is too start interacting more and making personable connections with all people in the real estate niche. Lots of investors have already told me you never know who you will meet or where your next deal will come from. 

    Actually holding my own real estate meetup coming up in your area, if you would like more info on that just message me.

    An unconventional way that I recently heard in a BP webinar was to reach out to people posting rental listings on Craigslist. Basically just addressing to them you are an investor looking for deals and that if he ever needs to sell your his guy, or however else you want to approach it. 

    Good thing about this method is its getting a lot colder out and thats the time when a lot of problems and headaches arise for investors, so allows you to provide that solution to their problem by providing an offer on their property.  

    Takes a little more grunt work but hey the person willing to hustle more gets the deals in my eyes. 

    Hope I was of help!

     Little brother! You have grown!! Holding your meet??

    Dude congrats!! You are awesome!

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Thanks allot for the advice, Angel! Not sure why the @ is not working. I appreciate you taking the time to respond!

  • Rental Property Investor · Long Island, NY · Member since 2015 · 490 posts · 301 votes
    6y

    @Rachel Perl Go in meetup.com there are a lot of local meetups even a few in Brooklyn where you can meet investors, agents, and service providers in the industry.

  • Abel CurielBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Queens, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Rachel Perl:

    I'm New to the Real Estate Platform and looking to invest in my first property somewhere not too far from where I live in Brooklyn, NY, preferably not more than an hours drive. It bothers me that the cash is sitting and waiting and I've yet to find a property to invest in because I have no idea where to find a good deal. Browsing online sites hasn't gotten me anywhere and after contacting a real estate agent or two, all they sent me was a huge list of properties from the mls to sort through with nothing promising. I have some family and friends that have invested but they are very vague when it comes to their work. Maybe they're afraid I'll find out their secrets? I think there is enough business to go around in this field. Perhaps someone here can give me some tips on how to make connections? Do I call all major real estate agencies? I've spoken to some but they weren't really interested in helping me or never returned my calls. I would love to hear from you all!

    Hey Rachel!

    I totally understand your situation!

    On one hand, you're getting (more or less) the same MLS list from multiple realtors... on the other hand, you've got people close to you who should be able to add value but they seem to be holding back on pertinent info.

    Find a realtor and lender in your market who can sit down with you and lay out an actual game plan with your long-term and short-term goals in mind. This is 100X more valuable than a list of properties and it'll save you time! A phone call or meeting with the right professionals will last a shorter time than what it takes to sift through and analyze a list of properties that probably won't fit your criteria/qualification.

    Secondly, the information and guidance/mentorship you seek from your investor friends/family can be found right here on BP! Folks on here have the abundance mindset and aren't hesitant to share their best advice and info.

    Lastly, using the "search" and the "keyword alerts" functions will help you find the topics and professionals that fit your needs.

    Best of luck to you moving forward!

    Abel

    REbuild Team - eXp Realty5234 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Thanks for the encouraging words @Abel Curiel I will try to network a bit more on bp since I just became a pro member it might be easier.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.