increased cash flow from $271 - $879/ month in less thne a year!

increased cash flow from $271 - $879/ month in less thne a year!

Member since 2018 · 211 posts · 164 votes
Bp! whats going on with everybody happy new year! This post is a good read for all the newbies who are filling discouraged so please read and enjoy. please if you haven't already, go read my original post i made almost a year ago: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/223/topics/649264-my-first-4-plex-first-property-first-real-investment?highlight_post=3848577&page=5 now that your all caught up, let me straight get into it! I came to bigger pockets for some insight and opinions on investing in mfh in the las vegas market. and i must say, i got a lot more negative feedback then i did positive. Never the less, I did not let any of the ney-sayers discourage me from sticking to my guns. i purchased my first 4 plex 02-15-19, ( my bday is feb 15 , god works in mysterious ways) almost a whole year from todays date. When i first took the property over i didn't know anything about real estate! no were as close to what i know now. I had the basic understandings from watching some youtube videos, reading through bp discussion , and a few books and pod cast. I study the market i was interested in for about 4-5 months prior to me closing ( i wouldn't recommend that) I was sorta of pressed for time. I knew about all the good parts of las vegas and all the parts to stay away from. So i made my decision with that in mind and purchased about 7 mins outside of summerlin in the 89018 zip code. I found the deal on the mls for 369,900 at the time that was higher then all the other areas i looked at, and the cash flow was lower, but i knew that this area had more traffic and vitalization then other areas and to top it off no hoa. When i took the building over it was being self managed by the landlord and some of the units needed work. so i knew that i was going to be able to add value. Rents were at $700 a unit (4 units) and majority of my leases were due within 5-6 months of me owning. i was able to raise rent by $50 dollars for 2 of my units ( $750 each) one of my tenets moved out in October of 2019. I got a new tenet about a week later and was able to get $800 ( $100) increase. The previous owner stayed for about 6 months after closing and moved out in august. I remodeled that unit ( took 4 freaking months) and finished a week before Christmas! During this time rates were at an all time low! so i was pressed for time because they were slowly climbing back up. $15,000 dollars I had a freshly remodeled unit! here is were it gets juicy! I was able to refinance my current loan from a 6.125% to a 4.875% saving me close to $200 dollars on my monthly! I was able to raise the remodeled unit rent from $700 to $950 ( thats an 15% return on the money i spent on the remodel)! Went from getting $271.34 in cash flow with an 3.5% cash on cash return! To getting $879.97 in cash flow with an 11.42% return in less then a year. It gets better, during this whole process the market in vegas was going up! the value on my property went up around $70,000. paid $369,900 for it back in 02-15-19 here we are 1-5-20 and its valued at around $437,000! When every body was doubting me and telling me not to do it, i didn't let any of that discourage me. AS long as it made sence in my eyes thats all that mattered to me and im glade i went through with it! check out links below for pics! CASH FLOW UPDATE 02/2019-01/2020: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNO8WYUR7dE6E-bIZ39MVaqbzwz17-EUMVF4Lspg5yJ6OOnOOlw6GDo3deDxqclhA?key=UWZxZXhvTjRnTnMxU2tSMkVWaFBWbDRDRHFhZVdn PICS OF REMODLED UNIT: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPEX7-Q8av2xABO0gsLQIwoc5_RsCvSK9FxQby7rSFY2BgC1QA5D0JDC3CUsmp3kQ?key=ZmRGNjQtQktYWmdsdzY2YlNKakV2anJxWHM3ZWdR
0Reply
12 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 211 posts · 164 votes
    6y
  • Member since 2018 · 211 posts · 164 votes
    6y
  • Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Maurice Smith

    This is amazing. Congratulations!! I'm trying to get a MFH and it's been a struggle I love seeing the wins tho. Thank you for sharing the information.

    Quick question, Is there a reason that you only raised rent for the two people? Maybe I'm missing detials so just wanted to clarify.

  • Member since 2018 · 211 posts · 164 votes
    6y
    @estete thank you! I raised rents on 2 of my tenets when their leases were due. my 3rd tenet moved out in august. that's the unit I remolded and raised to $950 my 4th tenet moved out in October. I was able to refill that unit in a week for $800. I essentially was able to raise all 4 of my leases in 11 months
  • Member since 2018 · 211 posts · 164 votes
    6y
    tenant*
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.