28 y/o Attorney from New York, NY

28 y/o Attorney from New York, NY

New to Real Estate · NY · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 9 votes

Hi Everyone!

My name is Antonia Hyman and I'm a 28 y/o corporate attorney living in NYC. After grinding it out over the last two years, I'm nearly done paying off my loans from law school and business school. Fortunately, I make a great salary and as a result of living below my means/investing, have some capital to invest. I would like to diversify my income stream through a buy and hold approach, as I don't want to be stuck billing client hours for the rest of my life. To start, I am interested in buying and renting out single family homes and duplexes. 

I came to the community for several reasons: 

- To educate myself on the process and learn the dos and don'ts from experienced investors.

- To get connected to people who invest in the tri-state area. NYC is expensive, so I'm considering other areas on the outskirts to invest. Any advice on figuring out where to start would be especially appreciated.  

- To learn more about the BRRRR process and how to value a deal.

I appreciate any advice and engagement as this is all new for me. Thank you!

- Antonia 

3Reply
38 views

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Hackensack, NJ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 372 votes
    6y

    Welcome to the forum and I look forward to connecting. (Also in the NYC Area)

  • Member since 2020 · 122 posts · 62 votes
    6y

    Welcome! The community is more than happy to help.

  • Specialist · Saint Joseph, MI · Member since 2019 · 29 posts · 56 votes
    6y

    @Antonia Hyman 

    @Antonia Hyman theres a few books that you should read immediately. 

    1. Rich Dad Poor Dad (A must for every investor)

    2. The Book On Rental Property investing by brandon from bigger pockets

    3. ABCS of Real Estate Investing

  • New to Real Estate · NY · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @David Kelly thanks for these suggestions! I read these last year - it took a bit of courage to finally post on the site. My favorite was Brandon's book!

    @Michael Heisterkamp @Tarik Turner Thanks for connecting!

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2014 · 722 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Antonia Hyman:

    Hi Everyone!

    My name is Antonia Hyman and I'm a 28 y/o corporate attorney living in NYC. After grinding it out over the last two years, I'm nearly done paying off my loans from law school and business school. Fortunately, I make a great salary and as a result of living below my means/investing, have some capital to invest. I would like to diversify my income stream through a buy and hold approach, as I don't want to be stuck billing client hours for the rest of my life. To start, I am interested in buying and renting out single family homes and duplexes. 

    I came to the community for several reasons: 

    - To educate myself on the process and learn the dos and don'ts from experienced investors.

    - To get connected to people who invest in the tri-state area. NYC is expensive, so I'm considering other areas on the outskirts to invest. Any advice on figuring out where to start would be especially appreciated.  

    - To learn more about the BRRRR process and how to value a deal.

    I appreciate any advice and engagement as this is all new for me. Thank you!

    - Antonia 

     Hi Antonia:

    As a former NYC lawyer-turned-syndicator, I know what an accomplishment it is to pay off your student loans - you are an unusually diligent person, which will serve you well in this space.

    I'm based in Brooklyn and run the occasional real estate meetup in the City, so keep an eye out!

    ~ Jonathan

  • New to Real Estate · NY · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Jonathan Twombly thanks for reaching out! I will definitely look out for your meetup. 

  • Zeke ListonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Welcome to the site @Antonia Hyman, congrats on paying off the student debt! 

    Forge Real Estate Advisors535 Reviews
    View Page
  • New to Real Estate · NY · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Zeke Liston Thank you!

  • New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 215 posts · 50 votes
    6y

    @Antonia Hyman - Im in NYC as well.....

  • New to Real Estate · NY · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Eli Lederman are you looking to invest in NYC or outside?

  • New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 215 posts · 50 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Antonia Hyman:

    @Eli Lederman are you looking to invest in NYC or outside?

     Both. I find it easier to do outside the city and more opportunities.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.