Investing in duplex with a dog and tenants

Investing in duplex with a dog and tenants

Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 3 votes

I'm in negotiation on a duplex which was converted from a 2 bed 1 bath each unit to 4 bed 1 bath so total the duplex has 8 bedrooms and 2 baths (1820 sq ft). I checked the records and the rooms are permitted. 

Should this deal go through, should I plan on raising rent w/ 1-year lease and raise the rent? one unit has 3 of the 4 rooms rented and the other unit is just a woman and her husband. Also one of the tenants has 1 dog? or 2? im not sure as there is a shared driveway and I saw 2 dogs when I drove by the other day but it could be the neighbors. 

I plan to charge pet rent but cant find any solid guidelines online on my city site (LA). 

0Reply
18 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · NC · Member since 2018 · 776 posts · 776 votes
    6y

    Well, it depends if the tenants are already at market rent. You will have a long vacancy if you try and overprice the property. They have a year left on the lease? Are you planning on living in the duplex? You can't really do anything until the end of the lease.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    The tenants are on a month to month and only one tenant is up to market rent. any experience with pet rent?

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    also I should add that one duplex- the rooms are being rented individually

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.