Soon To Be College Graduate, Advice Getting Mortgage?

Soon To Be College Graduate, Advice Getting Mortgage?

New to Real Estate · San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hi BP,

My name is Anh and I'm graduating from UCSD in two months! I've been a long time fan of BP after reading Brandon Turner's books on rental investing and no/low money down financing several years ago, but haven't been able to put much into practice besides accumulating money through internships/part-time jobs. My long term goals is single or multifamily houses to become financially independent (like every other aspiring graduate xD).

After I graduate I plan to hang out in the San Diego area, hopefully find a property to house-hack (though I realize that multifamilies are crazy expensive, so I'm looking for alternatives). My starting job will pay ~70k ish, I have 750+ credit score, no student loans, and ~30k in retirement/brokerage accounts. According to online mortgage calculators and the rule of thumb that banks want debts to be below 40% of income, I may qualify for a ~350-400k mortgage? (Don't want to apply for a hard inquiry yet). However, my tax returns are pretty low, and from my understanding mortgage lenders scrutinize on your past 2 years.

Does anyone have any advice on how to either house hack or buy my first rental property in San Diego? I'm pretty flexible where to live as my job can be remote, but am worried about finding a well-priced home to rent/house-hack. I've been looking at FHA loans but don't understand whether I would qualify without 2 years of employment.

Thanks for your advice, and looking forward to being active in this community!

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Victor SoBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 325 posts · 193 votes
6y

@Anh Ngo Hey Anh, it's great that you're getting into the game so early! And househacking right out of college is a great idea! Just FYI- even right out of college, you can qualify for a FHA loan as long as you have a letter of employment. Your college years sort of qualifies as the 2 years of steady employment. Hope this helps!

Victor So Real Estate LLC517 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Twana RasoulBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Anh Ngo great choice going with San Diego for your first investment. I'll make it easy for you...Definitely househack with a 2-unit, nothing else right now. No sfr or 3-4 unit and maybe not ADU either, due to purchasing power. you can qualify for a lot more than you think and have your payments a lot lower than you think with fha for duplex. I'll just message you info/attachments to make it simple.

    Best of luck!

    -Twana

  • Victor SoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 325 posts · 193 votes
    6y

    @Anh Ngo Hey Anh, it's great that you're getting into the game so early! And househacking right out of college is a great idea! Just FYI- even right out of college, you can qualify for a FHA loan as long as you have a letter of employment. Your college years sort of qualifies as the 2 years of steady employment. Hope this helps!

    Victor So Real Estate LLC517 Reviews
  • New to Real Estate · San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Thanks for your replies! @Twana Rasoul I will definitely look into a 2-unit, and @Victor So it's reassuring to know that FHA loans only need a letter of employment. With that I can make a solid goal of finding a well-priced duplex within the time frame of September (to build up an emergency fund) and next May (when my current lease ends).

    I've been looking at Zillow and most multifamily homes in SD go for 500k+. Is this the normal price? Are there any other recommended sites to find real estate?

    Also, does anyone happen to know a good real estate agent in San Diego who is willing to work with people completely new to real estate investing?

  • Real Estate Broker · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 355 posts · 195 votes
    6y

    Hi @Anh Ngo, Welcome. Just yesterday, I referred a recent grad that starts their career this fall to my lending partner to get preapproved. Hasn't started their job yet, and has a contract. You both will probably be preapproved around the same range. I post a lot about house hacking in SD. There is a balance of where you would like to live in SD based on culture and lifestyle, commute, purchase price, and rent demand. Realistically depending on the loan you qualify for, you may go the route I have helped many first-time-home-buyer-house-hackers in that price range, 3 bedroom condo in a nice area, demanding good rents. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.