What Would You Do? 20 Year Old In Need of Some Advice

What Would You Do? 20 Year Old In Need of Some Advice

New to Real Estate · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 7 votes

Hello, my name is Richard. I'm 20 years old and am in need of some advice.

I have graduated from college this year and have been studying real estate investing for a while now and feel like I should jump into it. I am blessed to have 40k dollars in my savings and my dad is going to pass down one of his real estate properties to me. His property is a multifamily worth around 600k (completely paid off), consists of 4 houses, and is being rented out for 1,000 dollars each. I am currently looking into the Phoenix area and want to invest in some more multifamily properties.

As of right now, I have three ideas on what I could do:

Idea #1- Refinance my dad's property and buy an apartment complex altogether. Saving my 40k dollars in my savings.

Idea #2- Buy a multifamily property using the BRRRR strategy. Spend most of my savings as a down payment. Not refinancing my dad's property and collecting the 4k cashflow per month (covering any expenses and repairs for the BRRRR).

or

Idea #3- Use the 40k from savings as a down payment. Do the BRRRR strategy on a multifamily. Refinance my dad's property at a minimum (enough to cover expenses and repairs). (Or vice versa. use my savings to cover repairs while I use the refi for the down payment).

Please let me know what you think. I am open to any thoughts and ideas. God bless!

2Reply
22 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Richard Hayes What a time to be alive?! That's an amazing situation to be in at a young age. I would start discussing taxes with your dad and a CPA so he doesn't take a tax hit. There should be planning before any property is transferred to you. It's worth the time and money, 10 fold. 

    With that of equity (available leverage) the investment strategy could go any direction. Multi-family is good idea but it's incredibility competitive right now and GOOD DEALS are usually off market. Without connections and a solid team around you it may be difficult finding the right property. My vote is to continue doing what your father has done and use his advice wisely. He sounds pretty successful. Don't waste that resource trying to buy properties that don't cash-flow or create to much risk up front.  

    I'd refinance a property or sell at market value if the COC sucks, keep some paid off, make cash offers on the next deal, and go slow. Good luck man!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.