WHAT TO DO WITH A FIRE DAMAGED PROPERTY NO INSURANCE

WHAT TO DO WITH A FIRE DAMAGED PROPERTY NO INSURANCE

Real Estate Investor · CORONA, CA · Member since 2011 · 17 posts · 0 votes

Looking for options. (1) Not put good money after bad. Shall I sell the house, and take the loss on my tax return, (2) restore and sell but with a declining housing market does it make sense, (3) Zillow estimate predamage is $170K, there is a pre-damage Zillow cash offer on their website, now?

0Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2010 · 804 posts · 230 votes
6y

I guess it depend on how much damage would cost to repair, how much time it will take to repair and your plans for the property. More information about the property is needed.  Is there anyone you know who can help you with the project.  I have use Thumbtack to find good tradesman, but sometimes, go through a few frogs to find the prince.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2010 · 804 posts · 230 votes
    6y

    I guess it depend on how much damage would cost to repair, how much time it will take to repair and your plans for the property. More information about the property is needed.  Is there anyone you know who can help you with the project.  I have use Thumbtack to find good tradesman, but sometimes, go through a few frogs to find the prince.

  • Real Estate Investor · CORONA, CA · Member since 2011 · 17 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    The one restoration company estimated the damage at 90K..I am checking on others..

  • Real Estate Investor · CORONA, CA · Member since 2011 · 17 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    I intend to sell the property as I am out state. I intend to sell my portfolio of rental properties all SFR

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    @SHAW ALI If you use a "Restoration company" you are going to be paying a premium vs getting a good contractor to do the work.  A restoration company might make sense if you have insurance but in your situation it may  not be worth it.

    We would need more details to figure the best choice moving forward.

  • Real Estate Investor · CORONA, CA · Member since 2011 · 17 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Ned.. thanks for the info. Is there an email I can send you. Or should I post here. Maybe here so that others can pitch in. I am in a dilemma. How do I do that with all the details maybe 2 pages +

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    @SHAW ALI If you tag  me in a post I will generally see it and respond.  I an glad to help as I have time however be aware this is not my area of expertise. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.