Real Estate Newbie in Pittsburgh, PA

4 Replies

Hello everyone, 

My name is Ethan and I am originally from the Scranton/Wilkes Barre area in northeastern PA. I currently reside in Pittsburgh where I have 1.5 years left of pharmacy school at the University of Pittsburgh. I discovered BiggerPockets after reading Rich Dad Poor Dad and listening to podcasts from Your Financial Pharmacist. After reading several real estate books and regularly listening to BiggerPockets podcasts, I realized that I want real estate to be a part of my plan towards financial freedom. My goal after graduation is to start out by house hacking a duplex and then ultimately move into buying and holding multi family properties near Pittsburgh or Philadelphia. I am still in the education phase, but I wanted to introduce myself and get more involved in the BiggerPockets community.

I am also curious how other health care professionals handle real estate along with their full time jobs.

Thanks!

Ethan

Not a health care professional, but I have many as clients. Many that start off house hacking here while in residency programs and then they build a more sizable portfolio as they grow in their career. Since most have demanding careers they almost all hire a Property Manager after one or two buildings.

House Hacking is ABSOLUTELY the best way for you to get started where you are. I'm on my third that way and it is the thing I attribute most to being able to grow from that first duplex to over 90 units in the last 5 years. You'll save a ton of money and gain invaluable landlording experience while minimizing your risk and exposure. Additionally you can usually get into much higher quality areas because you only need 3.5% down with a FHA loan.

Originally posted by @Ethan Markowski :

Hello everyone, 

My name is Ethan and I am originally from the Scranton/Wilkes Barre area in northeastern PA. I currently reside in Pittsburgh where I have 1.5 years left of pharmacy school at the University of Pittsburgh. I discovered BiggerPockets after reading Rich Dad Poor Dad and listening to podcasts from Your Financial Pharmacist. After reading several real estate books and regularly listening to BiggerPockets podcasts, I realized that I want real estate to be a part of my plan towards financial freedom. My goal after graduation is to start out by house hacking a duplex and then ultimately move into buying and holding multi family properties near Pittsburgh or Philadelphia. I am still in the education phase, but I wanted to introduce myself and get more involved in the BiggerPockets community.

I am also curious how other health care professionals handle real estate along with their full time jobs.

Thanks!

Ethan

@Ethan Markowski

Glad to hear a fellow Pitt student is also interested in the real estate world. I'm a senior engineering student at Pitt and I too am in the learning stages of real estate. My plan after graduating is to start with house hacking. I've also found the brrrr method particularly exciting. I wish you the best getting started and hope to stay in touch!

@Anthony Angotti   Thank you for the advice Anthony and congratulations on your success over a short period of time! House hacking definitely seems like a great way to get exposed to the real estate world and landlording while saving money for future investments. I actually just started reading The House Hacking Strategy by Craig Curelop. I definitely think I will use a property manager after my first house hack so that is something to keep in mind for deal analysis. Good luck with everything and would love to chat about it sometime!

Ethan 

@Henry Adrian

Hi Henry!

Always nice to see fellow Pitt students in here. Good luck on your senior year make sure you enjoy it because it goes by fast. The BRRRR method is definitely something I want to learn more about. My only concern for me is that I am not the most handsy person, but definitely a good option for an engineer like yourself. Maybe sometime in the near future we can grab a beer or coffee somewhere and chat!

Ethan

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you