Intro: Newbie in Kalispell, MT, vacation rentals?

Intro: Newbie in Kalispell, MT, vacation rentals?

New to Real Estate · Kalispell, MT · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 3 votes

First post, I'm a fourth generation farmer, cow investor (hah!), small business owner, soon to be father, self taught builder (built a 450sq ft tiny home) and am looking to do some real estate investing on my way to FI.

I have the option to purchase some land from my father, looking at building some small (500-700sq ft) vacation rentals or RV spots. Land is unzoned, not developed, and 35 minutes from Glacier National Park.

Thoughts? Warnings? Probably the scariest part of the deal for me is zoning things. I intend to keep ownership of the land. Running rough numbers this morning in the calculator!

1Reply
20 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · 59937 · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    Kenny, I have a lot of family in the Flathead Valley and I think there's great potential there for the uses you mentioned, assuming your site is well-located and the land is attractive. Zoning, stormwater, utilities, septic/well, etc. are all things you'll need to consider. And don't let the lack of zoning fool you, there will almost certainly be an extensive entitlement and permitting process. I have a 32-lot subdivision under construction now in an "open use" zoning designation, and it took over a year (and a lot of $) to get it through the preliminary plat and land disturbance approval process. 

    In addition to my traditional land development projects, I've also been looking at various low intensity uses that can be installed on large tracts to cover holding costs + provide some positive NOI, such as tiny homes on wheels, glamping, etc. Happy to discuss some ideas with you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.