Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 19 votes
Hi BP community,
My name is Chris Anderson, and I moved from NYC to Durham with my wife Jane (and our baby penguin, Pablo) back in March. I just finished my pre-licensing course and will be taking the NC RE Exam in a few weeks. In the meantime, we are actively looking for investment opportunities in the triangle area. I'm particularly interested in 2br/1ba bungalow style homes. We're hoping to put in an offer on a few SFH in the area soon. I'm also beginning to develop a business around the design, construction, financing, and property managing Accessory Dwelling Units in the area.
Happy to connect to discuss any and all aspects of the real estate marketplace. And if anyone knows someone who is planning to make the move to the triangle, I'm happy to share some of the lessons we learned and resources we leaned on making this transition during this past year. Best way to connect with me for now is to send me a message directly here on the forums.
Investor · Durham NC (and Brenham, TX) · Member since 2018 · 301 posts · 197 votes
5y
Hi @Christopher Anderson, welcome to BP and to Durham! I hope that you, your wife, and your penguin (awesome!) are enjoying NC so far :-)
Depending on what your investing goals are, you may find that you have better luck with properties in the secondary / tertiary markets around the triangle. For cash flow, lots of folks go out to places like Fayetteville, Sanford, Rocky Mount, Burlington, etc. But perhaps your CPO can help you win contracts in the hot Durham market!
Also if you haven't done so already, I highly recommend adding keyword alerts for Raleigh/Durham so that you'll get notifications whenever a BP meetup is scheduled (usually second Wed of the month). Those are a great way to get to know local investors - more difficult now with COVID and colder weather but hopefully won't be too long before things start normalizing again.
Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 19 votes
5y
Hi Karl,
Congrats on your move. I can say Duplexes are hard to find round here at the moment, but perhaps we'll see more inventory come online in beginning of 2021.
Investor · Durham NC (and Brenham, TX) · Member since 2018 · 301 posts · 197 votes
5y
Hi @Christopher Anderson, welcome to BP and to Durham! I hope that you, your wife, and your penguin (awesome!) are enjoying NC so far :-)
Depending on what your investing goals are, you may find that you have better luck with properties in the secondary / tertiary markets around the triangle. For cash flow, lots of folks go out to places like Fayetteville, Sanford, Rocky Mount, Burlington, etc. But perhaps your CPO can help you win contracts in the hot Durham market!
Also if you haven't done so already, I highly recommend adding keyword alerts for Raleigh/Durham so that you'll get notifications whenever a BP meetup is scheduled (usually second Wed of the month). Those are a great way to get to know local investors - more difficult now with COVID and colder weather but hopefully won't be too long before things start normalizing again.