18 year old looking for a place to start learning

18 year old looking for a place to start learning

Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote

Hi, I am in my first year of college and working a full-time job. I have looked up youtube videos and books but I want to be sure I am getting the right information. First, are there any specific books that are really helpful for beginners? Especially focused on multifamily homes like duplexes. Also, any tips to start working towards buying my first home? My goal is to buy a duplex to live on one side and rent out the other.

1Reply
15 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 872 votes
    5y

    Start with mindset books like Rich Dad Poor Dad. Then read "What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow"

    I can help you out if you need some more assistance.

  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Stephen Brown Thank you for the book suggestions. Yes, any help would be greatly appreciated. Right now I'm trying to become as educated as I can with the science and numbers behind investing in real estate. I'm also interested in knowing how to watch the market. I don't have quite enough in savings for a down payment right now so I want to know what my steps are when I do get to that point.

  • Real Estate Broker · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 872 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Samuel Barlow:

    @Stephen Brown Thank you for the book suggestions. Yes, any help would be greatly appreciated. Right now I'm trying to become as educated as I can with the science and numbers behind investing in real estate. I'm also interested in knowing how to watch the market. I don't have quite enough in savings for a down payment right now so I want to know what my steps are when I do get to that point.

     What's your market? You can start analyzing that now, if prices make sense for you!

  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Stephen Brown I'm looking for a small multifamily home. Just a double with 2-3 rooms each. Probably an older home too. I've grown up working with my dad doing remodels so if it's a little bit of a fixer upper I can complete the work.

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Samuel Barlow:

    Hi, I am in my first year of college and working a full-time job. I have looked up youtube videos and books but I want to be sure I am getting the right information. First, are there any specific books that are really helpful for beginners? Especially focused on multifamily homes like duplexes. Also, any tips to start working towards buying my first home? My goal is to buy a duplex to live on one side and rent out the other.

    You are in the right place Samuel!

  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 338 posts · 296 votes
    5y

    @Samuel Barlow Welcome to the club! Truth be told, most all the books in the "Bookstore" here on BP are super helpful.  You could also listen to different podcast episodes and see what guests' favorite RE-related book and business-related books are.  Hopefully that gives you a couple of ideas to work with

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.