18 year old looking for a place to start learning

6 Replies

Hi, I am in my first year of college and working a full-time job. I have looked up youtube videos and books but I want to be sure I am getting the right information. First, are there any specific books that are really helpful for beginners? Especially focused on multifamily homes like duplexes. Also, any tips to start working towards buying my first home? My goal is to buy a duplex to live on one side and rent out the other.

Start with mindset books like Rich Dad Poor Dad. Then read "What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow"

I can help you out if you need some more assistance.

@Stephen Brown Thank you for the book suggestions. Yes, any help would be greatly appreciated. Right now I'm trying to become as educated as I can with the science and numbers behind investing in real estate. I'm also interested in knowing how to watch the market. I don't have quite enough in savings for a down payment right now so I want to know what my steps are when I do get to that point.

Originally posted by @Samuel Barlow :

@Stephen Brown Thank you for the book suggestions. Yes, any help would be greatly appreciated. Right now I'm trying to become as educated as I can with the science and numbers behind investing in real estate. I'm also interested in knowing how to watch the market. I don't have quite enough in savings for a down payment right now so I want to know what my steps are when I do get to that point.

What's your market? You can start analyzing that now, if prices make sense for you!

Originally posted by @Samuel Barlow :

Hi, I am in my first year of college and working a full-time job. I have looked up youtube videos and books but I want to be sure I am getting the right information. First, are there any specific books that are really helpful for beginners? Especially focused on multifamily homes like duplexes. Also, any tips to start working towards buying my first home? My goal is to buy a duplex to live on one side and rent out the other.

You are in the right place Samuel!

@Samuel Barlow Welcome to the club! Truth be told, most all the books in the "Bookstore" here on BP are super helpful.  You could also listen to different podcast episodes and see what guests' favorite RE-related book and business-related books are.  Hopefully that gives you a couple of ideas to work with

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you