New to REI and excited to learn more!

New to REI and excited to learn more!

Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2021 · 12 posts · 13 votes

Good morning/ afternoon,

A little about me, I did 4 years active duty in the Navy as an Aviation Technician. Now I am in the reserve as an Information Technician and contracting for the Air Force. I enjoy bike riding the San Antonio Riverwalk and other biking trails.

I got the real estate fever a few months ago and have start learning by the fire hose. I really enjoy talking about anything real estate, it is very exciting. I am seeking and researching knowledge about becoming a general partner in a real estate syndication and how to start one.

2Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 338 posts · 296 votes
5y

Welcome to BP @Robert Carnie, happy to have you here.  San Antonio is such a great area, always enjoy visiting down there. Are you planning to invest there or somewhere else?  Wishing you the best of luck in your investing career.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 338 posts · 296 votes
    5y

    Welcome to BP @Robert Carnie, happy to have you here.  San Antonio is such a great area, always enjoy visiting down there. Are you planning to invest there or somewhere else?  Wishing you the best of luck in your investing career.

  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2021 · 12 posts · 13 votes
    5y

    Thank you! @Joshua Noth Currently, I am studying my area and deciding on my options, but I believe San Antonio is going to be my starting grounds. Thanks for the wishes and I hope the same for you!

  • Joseph CacciapagliaBusiness Member
    Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Most of the GP's that I know either started with smaller properties that they bought personally and then worked their way up or they started as LP's in other people's syndications and learned that way. Although there are a lot of courses, coaching, etc related to starting syndications, I don't know anyone that did one as their first real estate investment.

    You're in a great market for it though. San Antonio attracts a ton of out of state capital.

    Joseph Cacciapaglia powered by Morty
  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2021 · 12 posts · 13 votes
    5y

    @Joseph Cacciapaglia Thank you for your insight! I would love to know what courses and coaching is the best investment, as there are a lot of them. I will definitely consider starting as an LP and hope to find a mentor at a local meetup now that covid is mostly behind us.

  • Joseph CacciapagliaBusiness Member
    Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Robert Carnie:

    @Joseph Cacciapaglia Thank you for your insight! I would love to know what courses and coaching is the best investment, as there are a lot of them. I will definitely consider starting as an LP and hope to find a mentor at a local meetup now that covid is mostly behind us.

    Sorry if my comment was unclear. I wouldn't suggest any of the coaching or courses that I'm aware of. The vast majority of my successful clients didn't get there with either of those. Almost all of them either went out and bought properties that they could personally afford to start off or they invested with another GP and asked tons of questions to figure out what to do. Both are great ways to learn while taking real action.

    A lot of would-be investors get stuck in this learning/reading/talking phase and never seem to make it out. There is just always something new to learn. Even if the end goal is apartment syndication, I would suggest going out and buying a multifamily for yourself first. Even if it's just a duplex or fourplex, the knowledge and confidence you'll gain from that first transaction will make the bigger deals much easier. It's much easier to raise money from investors after you have a deal or two to talk about.

    Joseph Cacciapaglia powered by Morty
  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2021 · 12 posts · 13 votes
    5y

    Copy that! @Joseph Cacciapaglia Thanks for clarifying, I am keeping an eye out for 2-4 plex for my next purchase.

  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets, Robert! You found the right place for information.

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Robert Carnie:

    Good morning/ afternoon,

    A little about me, I did 4 years active duty in the Navy as an Aviation Technician. Now I am in the reserve as an Information Technician and contracting for the Air Force. I enjoy bike riding the San Antonio Riverwalk and other biking trails.

    I got the real estate fever a few months ago and have start learning by the fire hose. I really enjoy talking about anything real estate, it is very exciting. I am seeking and researching knowledge about becoming a general partner in a real estate syndication and how to start one.

    Robert, glad you joined!

  • Paul MoorePro Member
    Commercial Real Estate Fund Manager · Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Hi @Robert Carnie. Congrats on getting the REI Fever! It's contagious, fun, and often profitable. I'd recommend the paid coaching program I went through years ago. It's the Multifamily Partner Program by 37th Parallel Properties. Taught me all I needed to know to jump in as a syndicator. Let me know if you'd like an intro. Good luck!

  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2019 · 120 posts · 147 votes
    5y

    @Robert Carnie Congrats on getting into RE! My 2 biggest pieces of advice... 1) If you want the fast track, get a mentor - but the RIGHT one...it's a crowded space and we definitely made a mistake selecting the wrong one the first time around (now we're with an amazing group and have closed over 400 doors in 2 years). 2) Don't fall into the trap of thinking you have to start small ...you don't.  We bought a 6-unit then quickly realized how hard it is to scale - our next acquisition was 173 units.  It can be done with the right mentor/coach! Best of luck! Feel free to reach out if I can help with anything. 

  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2019 · 120 posts · 147 votes
    5y

    @Robert Carnie AND if you decide you're pursuing the large multifamily/syndication route if you want a quick list of getting a brand established and reaching out to family friends for capital raising, let me know - Happy to help! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.