New to BP from Ventura Ca. Work in Bakersfield

New to BP from Ventura Ca. Work in Bakersfield

Tehachapi, CA · Member since 2013 · 8 posts · 0 votes

Hello everyone.

I stumbled upon BiggerPockets a couple weeks ago while searching for sites with information on multi-family purchases, and have been reading forums and listening to podcasts since, now finally (better late than never) introducing myself.

I guess I have been involved with real estate (minimally) the last four years when purchasing my own home in Bakersfield, but then chose to rent it out and move to Ventura in order to be closer to the beach. I have been extremely lucky in having wonderful tenants, and it has been a great experience so far. After looking at homes and multi-family units for sale this last year, I decided that I need to stop watching the market, and get involved with it.

After watching the MLS in Kern county, I currently have a good amount of money saved up to purchase one or two properties, and would like to eventually earn more from real estate buy and hold investments, than I earn from my current job in Bakersfield.

Looking forward to the upcoming experiences,

Nick Latta

0Reply
5 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Westlake Village, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 781 votes
    13y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets Nick,

    It is a great community. I concur with your decision to live in Ventura, I grew up close to that area & love hanging out on Main St. and the beach. Hope you can attend a BiggerPockets meetup in the future. I am hosting one in Ventura County at my office in Westlake Village.

  • Specialist · San Dimas, CA · Member since 2011 · 350 posts · 122 votes
    13y

    @Nick Latta - welcome to BP. I Bako is a strong market. Spend a little time learning the sub-markets and pull the trigger. It may take a while given the current inventory available in the market.

    let me know if I can help!

    AG

  • Real Estate Lender · Pt Hueneme, CA · Member since 2012 · 110 posts · 47 votes
    13y

    Hey, welcome to BP, I am in Ventura too!

    Good luck on your plans!

    Rick

  • Tehachapi, CA · Member since 2013 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Thank you for the messages!

    @Ellis San Jose I would definitely be interested in learning more about the biggerpocket meet ups. This is the first I've heard of them. Are they topic oriented? Or more of an open discussion? How can I keep updated on the when and where for yours?

    @Arthur Garcia Just looked over your blogs, and that looks like a vast amount of information that I'll definitely be reading through. Since I'm interested in the buy and hold strategy, with a full time job, I bet I will learn plenty from what you have posted. Thanks a lot for the info, and there is a good chance I'll be hitting you up on your offer and emailing you a question or two!

    @Rick Bradd How is the note investing working for you? I just listened to the biggerpockets podcast on this topic yesterday and thought it sounded interesting. Have you used one of the companies that the podcast spoke of?

  • Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 603 votes
    13y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets from another Californian @Nick Latta!

    It's great to hear your first rental is doing well and I can't wait to hear about the next one. I hear great things about the Kern County area. Seems like there's a lot of competition though! You know the area well(from living there), which gives you an advantage.

  • Camarillo, CA · Member since 2013 · 27 posts · 3 votes
    13y

    Welcome Nick!

    I'm doing wholesaling work out of Camarillo, but I also hold a full-time job in (the oil fields of) Ventura.

    You've stumbled on a fantastic resource here at BP. If there's anything I can do to help with the site, RE investing, or you'd like to get together to talk about investing locally here I'm game.

    Blessings to you,

    David

  • Real Estate Consultant · Camarillo, CA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    @Nick Latta Welcome Nick, It is always to hear from those in Vta county.

    @David Hart Hello to a fellow Camarillian.

    @Ellis San Jose let me know when the meetup will be, and I will be sure to attend. I always enjoy your meetings.

    I also put on a Commercial REI group in Woodland Hills

    http://www.meetup.com/Commercial-Real-Estate-Mastermind-Network/

    and a single family group in TO

    http://www.meetup.com/VCREIC/

    Welcome to BP

    Jeff

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.