Lakeland Florida Market- Thoughts?

Lakeland Florida Market- Thoughts?

Specialist · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 96 posts · 40 votes

Hey BP!

I am looking to connect with real estate professionals/investors in Lakeland, Florida. I feel like Lakeland may get lost in the shadow of the Tampa/Orlando markets. I'm located in Tampa, but the margins of the deals I am seeing over in Lakeland makes the area extremely intriguing to me. 

There is a Polk County REIA meeting that I attended last month over in Lakeland that I will definitely attend again.. just looking to get other people's feedback on investing in the Polk County area!

Mike 

2Reply
131 views

Most Popular Reply

Clermont, FL · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 43 votes
8y

From an Orlando-area perspective: I know people who commute all the way from Lakeland specifically because they could get a better deal outside of the Orlando market. If the market remains hot in Orlando I expect Lakeland to appreciate, especially considering the new hiring at Disney every year.

That being said, there are some other factors here. There are a lot of small towns between Orlando and Lakeland (And I imagine between Tampa and Lakeland) that would probably be a first pick for commuters over the midway point of Lakeland. You will probably see appreciation at every point between Tampa and Lakeland before Lakeland.

That being said, I think Lakeland is a nice little town with a stronger economy than other places further from I-4. Their downtown area is set up for growth and there is a lot of variety in the market at a low price range (SFH, MFH, etc)

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Clermont, FL · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 43 votes
    8y

    From an Orlando-area perspective: I know people who commute all the way from Lakeland specifically because they could get a better deal outside of the Orlando market. If the market remains hot in Orlando I expect Lakeland to appreciate, especially considering the new hiring at Disney every year.

    That being said, there are some other factors here. There are a lot of small towns between Orlando and Lakeland (And I imagine between Tampa and Lakeland) that would probably be a first pick for commuters over the midway point of Lakeland. You will probably see appreciation at every point between Tampa and Lakeland before Lakeland.

    That being said, I think Lakeland is a nice little town with a stronger economy than other places further from I-4. Their downtown area is set up for growth and there is a lot of variety in the market at a low price range (SFH, MFH, etc)

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Mike DeBuccio Jr. Lakeland is becoming very hot and will continue to be hot as the interstate highways keeps getting more developed. 

    Both Tampa/Orlando are hot markets and people are getting pushed out. It's hard to find the right deals in Lakeland as well but still better buying market than Tampa/Orlando.

    There are a lot of positive things happening in your backyard. I'll be talking about these on the Invest Florida podcast today.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    Hello @Mike DeBuccio Jr. I currently live in the Lakeland area and am looking to get involved in real estate investing in this area. My wife and I are currently looking to buy our first house with the intention of doing a live-in flip. Lakeland is an amazing community and rapidly growing. Forbe's Magazine ranked Lakeland/Winter Haven in the top 20 fastest growing cities in the U.S, alongside several other central Florida cities. (https://www.forbes.com/sites/samanthasharf/2017/02...)

    Needless to say, I am new to Real Estate investing and looking to learn. I'd love to connect in the future as you get started with your investing in Polk.

  • Rental Property Investor · Plant City, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 379 votes
    8y

    I’ve loved Lakeland.  I am a very conservative investor so I’m my option numbers are starting to get tight for people to actually be able to afford rent, but on the other side there is such a shortage of rentals.  

  • Specialist · Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 127 posts · 38 votes
    8y

    Hey Adian!  I have a small apartment complex in Lakeland.  It is a growing area!  25 year growth projection is 34%.  If you ever need any assistance in Central FL, I can help!  Im a realtor, appraiser and investor.  I have seen a few MF properties in your area.

  • Rental Property Investor · Plant City, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 379 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Alex Olmo:

    Hey Adian!  I have a small apartment complex in Lakeland.  It is a growing area!  25 year growth projection is 34%.  If you ever need any assistance in Central FL, I can help!  Im a realtor, appraiser and investor.  I have seen a few MF properties in your area.

     Alex, I'm always looking for mobile homes that come with land (any size lot).  At this moment we aren't buying multi-family or single family (waiting for the next downturn).  Keep me in mind if you come across anything between Auburndale and Brandon!  

  • Specialist · Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 127 posts · 38 votes
    8y

    Will do!  Please send ANY MF properties my way!  Thank you!

  • Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Alex Olmo, I am interested in talking with you as well regarding MF in your area.  

  • Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Hey Mike (and everyone else)! This is actually my first post on any BP forum, and I'm glad to see a Lakeland post so close to the top of the list in the Florida forum. I moved to Lakeland just over a year ago for a great job opportunity and I am loving it so far. My fiance and I getting settled into the area, and we've started to look into the local market with the intention of investing in real estate in the next 8-12 months. Our plan is to begin with a live-in single family fix to either flip or refi and hold, just to get our feet wet. I can't disagree with any of the posts I'm seeing on the thread - driving through Lakeland every day, you can see the growth and development of the area. I have friends and colleagues from Tampa, Brandon, Winter Haven, and Orlando and travel a lot along the I4 corridor. Brandon through Winter Haven seems to be a sweet spot primed for growth. It's been an interesting place to start learning the foundations of REI while applying some basic analysis to the market.

    In any event, I would love to connect with anyone interested in Polk County REI, specifically the Lakeland market! I'd be happy to lend a hand, offering my skill set and sweat equity to anyone in return for a learning opportunity and mentorship. My educational background is heavily centered on data-analysis. Typically, I apply that skill set to people analytics for the purposes of making hiring and other HR decisions in large organizations. However, I think that background should serve me well in terms of researching and analyzing deals, if anyone is in need of help with that.


    Great thread though, Mike - looking forward to connecting and discussing the area further!

    Best regards,

    Craig

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 115 posts · 12 votes
    8y

    Have you find anything yet? I'm having trouble finding deal through listing like zillow. Anything good get snag up on day 1, and offer higher than asking price (Winter Haven area from downtown to legoland). I found a property that wholesaler snag up in July, do nothing to it. Now list for double the price.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Central Florida · Member since 2017 · 121 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    We are the top investment group in Central Fl. when it comes off-markets, buy & Holds, flips, and multi-family" We acquire 5-15 properties weekly in Polk, Lake, Orange, Osceola, Orange, Seminole, Volusia counties. Polk county is like Deltona was 2 years ago, same price points.

  • Investor · Orlando · Member since 2016 · 151 posts · 72 votes
    8y

    Hi @Jason A. I assume you sell off-markets as well? If so, I'd love to chat / get placed on your list. Congrats on the success
    Kraig

  • Real Estate Agent · Central Florida · Member since 2017 · 121 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    Morning Kraig, we sure do, we currently have a variety, feel free to call me,  I always prefer talking.  I work for an amazing group.

  • Whitestone, NY · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 18 votes
    8y

    @Alex Olmo looking to get started in single family homes in Lakeland - I currently invest in West Palm Beach but prices have gone up and deals that make sense are hard to find.  Any advice on where to start?

  • Specialist · Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 127 posts · 38 votes
    8y

    Polk county overall is doing great!  N Lakeland (Above I4) has grown is the last 5-10 year with numerous new construction project coming.  25yr future growth projection is 34%. The downtown area is the most appealing.

  • Specialist · Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 127 posts · 38 votes
    8y
  • Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    I live in Miami and have considered moving to Lakeland for inexpensive college tuition and living arrangements a few years back. I found out about Lakeland through doing my own research online and it seemed like a great area to live it provided that I can get a job I like there.

    I wouldn't say Lakeland is unknown to people in Miami. The ones who will know about it are doing research online and comparing prices. They trying to stay in Florida in a cheap area while getting out of expensive Miami.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Lakeland FL · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    I moved to Lakeland a years ago with reserves. I had always heard negative things about Lakeland but when I got here I couldn't believe how much they were growing on the South side and the North side. It's a beautiful place with plenty of business growth. The downtown area has been revitalized with trendy bars and plenty of quality restaurants. They just had the grand opening today for Douglas Park on the North side which Ray Lewis from the Ravens sponsored. It's also just a 35 minute drive to Tampa which isn't bad at all. Buying new properties right now isn't really ideal for me but my buy and holds are doing well.

  • Investor · Holiday, FL · Member since 2018 · 63 posts · 15 votes
    8y

    Lakeland has and continues to grow into a large distribution hub. I am a General Manager of a distribution center in Lakeland and having been driving here for the last 10 years for my work. The industrial growth has been huge and continues to attract more andf more people. My wife and I are newbies in the game but we are always looking for the buy and hold for long term cash growth, as we are in our mid 40's and working on level 1 financial freedom. We are bankable and have a low 6 figure heloc availble, if any one has a single family or duplex lead.

  • Rental Property Investor · Plant City, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 379 votes
    8y

    Another great place to network for in the Lakeland area is the local REIA, PCREIA.com

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Are there any turnkey investment firms in the Lakeland area?  Ones that buy, rehab, sell to investors, and have a property management arm?

  • Rental Property Investor · Odessa, FL · Member since 2017 · 145 posts · 113 votes
    7y

    @Michael Rost

    I think Lakeland doesn't offer enough volume for that but I may be wrong. Takes me a while to pick up a Lakeland property.

  • Davenport, FL · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    @Michale Rost - I'm also from San Diego (been here over 12 years) - I'm just getting into investing after being in residential for many years.

    You'd do better with what you're looking for in my area - Kissimmee/Davenport.  There's tremendous growth and it's becoming a really popular area - especially for investors - due to people moving in trying to get out of Orlando and all the crowds, the fact that is easily accessible by several freeway systems and of course, for the tourism business due to it's proximity to Disney.

    Almost every community has a generous mix of permanent and short term (vacation rental) residents.  Lots of new communities going up between established neighborhoods also makes it attractive.  There's a lot of commercial building going on (shopping centers/major grocery stores/Hospitals & Urgent care centers etc. ) to accommodate the influx of people.

    There is also a lot of growth in Poinciana (adjacent to Kissimmee) with major development plans too.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Plant City, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 379 votes
    7y

    @Tim Davis do you have any turn key rentals?  

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2015 · 90 posts · 49 votes
    7y

    Yes I have a few. I have 4 duplexes for sale (maybe another 4 to the right person (these 4 have seller financing available)). I have about 9 single family homes. All properties are cash flowing very well and are currently off of the MLS because I don't want to work that hard right now.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.