We could all use a little diversion - best street names

We could all use a little diversion - best street names

Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Happy Friday, 

Just a little fun on a Friday.  Jacksonville has some unusual street names.  I am not sure how they came to be, but they are just confusing! 

Boulevard Street

Alley Road 

Highway Avenue 

NoRoad 

 2nd Ave N & 2nd St N  not to confused with 2nd Ave S & 2nd St S which are 4 blocks apart in Jacksonville Beach.  Sadly this is not the only examples of this insanity.

I own a house on 2nd street circle which is not connected to 2nd street - about 2 blocks away.  Which is not to be confused with the example at the beach.

I own a house on Red Robin Drive, which is next to Christopher Robin Drive which intersect Miss Muffet, Little Boy Blue and Goldilocks. 

Camaro Drive West connected to Camaro Drive E in a circle.  Next to Chevelle, Fury and Barracuda

Birdville- The locals hate that name - Canary Rd, Dove Road, Blue Bird Road 

Kings, Old Kings and New Kings intersect in multiple places 

 Strato Road, Strato Road North, Strato Road West and Strato Place.  Yes they all connect and yes they use the same numbering.

Cheers

4Reply
90 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
6y

OB Hospitalist Group, Obstetrics & Gynecology, 10 Centimeters Dr, Mauldin SC, 29662.

See this reply in the discussion

39 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor/Agent/Entrepreneur · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 464 posts · 564 votes
    6y

    11 Milf Rd. Originally 11 Mile Rd., but for over a decade that I've driven past it they still haven't wiped the sharpie or paint off the sign that makes the upper case 'E' appear as an 'F'. I had worked just off of an intersection, "Crooks" and "Big Beaver", which all used to sound normal back then until I say them out loud now lol. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Back in the day we had a eng. contract job commissioning a small tube mill in Kentucky. NONE of the female engineers would live in either of the nearby towns... Beaver Lick or Big Bone Lick !!

  • Rental Property Investor · Ithaca, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Lesley Resnick

    I knew a friend who lived on Dinglehole Rd.

    I’ve looked at buying a church on Church St.

    There’s always a nightmare on Elm St.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    There's some sly humor in this town.

    There's a street near a house we own in the Greenfield neighborhood of the city of Pittsburgh that is so hilly it is called Theodolite Way. It's the immediate parallel back alley of the main drag, Greenfield Avenue.

    There's another part of the city that's a long, narrow island in one of the rivers. Historically, it was called "Herr's Island" on maps. It is part of the Troy Hill neighborhood. The island is today called "Washington's Landing." A development of McMansions has been built on the island and a few companies and prominent non-profits have set up offices there, including the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy. The city has set up a "heritage trail" that includes the island as (so a local legend supposedly states) the first part of Pittsburgh that George Washington came to when he first surveyed the area before the French and Indian War. There's a marina, a boat club, and the local rowing association headquarters.

    This elaborate and improbably rebranding was necessary, according to old timers around here, because Herr's Island was really called "Pig Island" up until the Depression. The island was used for pork processing and lard rendering. Local suppliers would cart their pigs daily down Troy Holl (which was really called "Pig Hill") and onto the island to be slaughtered and packed. Barges would land and move the pork and lard farther down the Allegheny River to the city center proper and up the Ohio River to supply all the river communities between Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. The area stank constantly of fuel oil and pigcrap.

    The very steep street that comes down Pig Hill and leads to the main bridge on and off the island is now called "Rialto Street." I never understood how sly that upscale rebranding was until I went to Venice, Italy and actually visited the Rialto district and saw the wholesale market. What used to be the largest medieval slaughterhouse in Italy used to be right next to the famous bridge over Venice's Grand Canal.

    I crack up every time I hear the area referred to as "Washington's Landing," invariably by local status-seeking social-climbing parvenues of a certain age gossiping enviously with each other about big homes and belonging to a boat club. Wouldn't it be SO NICE to live on Pig Island?

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    OB Hospitalist Group, Obstetrics & Gynecology, 10 Centimeters Dr, Mauldin SC, 29662.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Mike Dymski:

    OB Hospitalist Group, Obstetrics & Gynecology, 10 Centimeters Dr, Mauldin SC, 29662.

    It IS real. I went all the way by plane, train, bus and taxi to a little monastary in a forgotten corner of Spain to visit Potato Jesus and see God's promise that He has a sense of humor. Today that is confirmed.

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 861 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    For a while I lived just off "Street Road" which was a major road in either Delaware County or Chester County PA.

    Here in Columbus there is a odd little street called "Bide A Wee Park Ave" .. shows up on crime reports and foreclosure lists relatively frequently

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 131 posts · 183 votes
    6y

    Thunder Road. 

    (Drop mic)

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    There's a street in the city where I have rentals called "Eight Mile Rd".  It's about 22 miles long.  Go figure. 

    There's another street name in my state called "Zzyzx Rd".  No idea how to pronounce it. 

    I've fished in Idaho before and I know they have a street name there called "Chicken Dinner Rd".  I'm not sure exactly how it got it's name, but I believe it had something to do with a family with the last name of "Lamb" who lived on that road a long time ago.  Word is, the PETA folks find it all quite distasteful.  ;)

    Lastly, @Lesley Resnick since you're from Florida I'm surprised you didn't mention "I Dream of Jeannie Lane" named after the sitcom set there.  :)  I think it's in Cocoa Beach.

  • Rental Property Investor · Douglas County, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    In the newer section of our little town is a street named West Lane Ave. I've always thought that was strange.

    Even stranger, though, is the difficulty of figuring out if a particular road is a "street" or an "avenue". I drove up Patton a few days ago and actually looked at the signs, which I usually ignore. The first sign said Patton St. but on the next corner the sign said Patton Ave. The next was street again, then avenue, and the last one was street. 

    Our house on that road gets a gas bill for xxx Patton St, but the water and electric is xxx Patton Ave. I guess no one knows. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    Pearl St in Boulder Colorado.  Its like the Main street of Boulder ...

    Guess what its named from?  Old brothel's madam back in the gold rush days.  No gold?  At least there's still Pearl.

    Don't hate.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    I like it when the subdivisions have a theme. It makes it easier to find places.  Where I currently live the city needs a smack, they pick a name and then add every possible ending to it...Greenwood St, Greenwood Blvd, Greenwood Ave, Greenwood Close....and it goes on.  Way too confusing.  Where I grew up they had an older area of town where the street names were in alphabetical order after people....Alward St, Burden Ave, Carney Dr, etc. 

  • Byran FarrisPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Katy, TX · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    In Galveston, TX they have a letters streets like Avenue R and Avenue S, but in between you will find Avenue R 1/2.  I guess these were created as larger lots were subdivided and new roads cut through. Maybe it is common other places, but always found it funny.  

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 861 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Heres one that runs straight thru my neighborhood: 

    East North Broadway Street

    there is no Broadway, no South Broadway, no other Broadways anywhere here that i am aware of

    They could have just called it Broadway.

    Interestingly enough it used to be called Mecca Rd a long time ago. There is still a Mecca Rd on the other side of a dividing road... which is in the middle of a huge Somali community, who are mostly muslims...  always wonder if that street name played a part of their deciding where to land....

  • Peoria, IL · Member since 2013 · 967 posts · 383 votes
    6y

    Sesame Street!  I looked at a house on that street. 

  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    Colorado has some good ones:

    1. 100 Year Party Ct., Longmont, CO

    2. Incoriggable Circle, Longmont, CO

    3. A Dog Will Lick His Butt But Won't Eat A Pickle Rd., Fountain, CO (Look it up if you don't believe me)

    4. No Name (a street in Alamosa as well as a town in Glenwood Canyon). The name actually originates with the Native American tribe called the Noname tribe (pronounced NoNAHme), which means "land of the gullible".

    The streets in Colorado are interesting to me because they're laid out a lot more intentionally than in other parts of the country that were developed earlier. For example the old part of Denver (Downtown, LoDo, RiNo, Ballpark, Five Points, Curtis Park, Auraria campus) is laid out in a grid that is positioned perfectly diagonal to the four cardinal directions, and most of the rest of the city is laid out in a perfect N/S, E/W pattern. 

    Boulder was laid out in a similar N/S, E/W grid, with numbered streets only. Streets went N/S, Avenues went E/W. Many streets follow the longitudinal and latitudinal meridians exactly. Eventually they realized that although highly practical, it was also highly confusing (and boring) to have both a 1st St. and a 1st Ave, a 2nd St. and a 2nd Ave, etc, that all intersect each other, so they switched all the avenues to nature-related names (mostly trees, birds and flowers but also some scientists and wealthy people's names peppered in like Carnegie, Curie and Tesla). The nature names progress in Alphabetical order South to North. Thankfully they branched away from numbers only, otherwise we never would have been blessed with names like... 

    Table Mesa (Mesa means table in Spanish)

    Moorhead Ave. (which intercourses, I mean intersects, with Tantra Dr.)

    and Packer Gulch (named after the famous cannibal Alferd Packer)

    However some streets didn't fit into the grid (like the county roads that were there before the grid layout idea was implemented, and the interstates that came later), so the grid is hacked apart by roads like Santa Fe, Diagonal, 70, 25, 36, and Colfax, that go where they want. 

    Some of the chosen names didn't work out as intended either, such as Kalamath St.. Meant to be named after the Klamath tribe of Native Americans, apparently they spelled Klamath wrong originally, and then just said, "Whatever we're going to double down on the miss-spelling", and kept it that way. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    These are great.

    Jacksonville was originally known as COWFORD.  It was a shallow spot in the St John's River to allow cows to cross.  Where they were going or why I am not sure.  

  • Crown Point, IN · Member since 2018 · 56 posts · 23 votes
    6y

    When driving down the main road past our mall, the intersecting streets are named in order as the following,

    Mall Entrance A

    Mall Entrance B

    Mall Entrance C

    Mall Entrance D

    Mall Entrance 5

  • Robert EllisBusiness Member
    Developer · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    For a while I lived just off "Street Road" which was a major road in either Delaware County or Chester County PA.

    Here in Columbus there is a odd little street called "Bide A Wee Park Ave" .. shows up on crime reports and foreclosure lists relatively frequently

    I had never heard about this street in columbus until this year when that foreclosure came up and we also quoted a basement clean out there last week. lol  

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Off the Denver-Boulder Turnpike is Tape Drive, which also branches into Disc Drive.  Seems it used to have a StorageTek campus.

  • Rental Property Investor · Woodstock, GA · Member since 2017 · 517 posts · 772 votes
    6y

    Not fully the street name...

    But in college in Charlotte, our immature minds got a kick out of the road "Cox"

    More because there was an iHop on it.

    "Where are we meeting?"

    "iHop on Cox"

    ...

    I havent matured as I still giggle.

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    "iHop on Cox"...
    reminds me when one of my daughters friends got into college on the rowing team..celebrating at dinner with her parents she blurted out that she was a now "a Cox working at Dicks"'. We cried laughing.

    Best one was a small village in Austria (F**king) that we came across driving through it to our destination Hallwang. Allegedly, it was founded in the 6th century by a Bavarian noble named Focko, and F**king means "(place of) Focko's people." The name of the town is F**KING and people keep stealing their signs.

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    I grew up on Upper Swallow Road. I know where there’s Alcohol Mary Road, Jackass Annie Road and Smutty lane.

  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Lesley Resnick

    There is a road about 30 mins from me in NJ called Shades of Death Rd

  • Salmon, ID · Member since 2017 · 59 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    @Lesley Resnick

    I’m sure it’s already been said, we’ve got a few here in Idaho, I think the best one is Chicken Dinner

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.