AUGUSTA GEORGIA

AUGUSTA GEORGIA

Wholesaler · RDU, NC · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 5 votes

HI BP Family,

Who has all the momentum in Augusta Georgia as far as real estate goes , wholesalers and investors a like. Looking to network with People in Augusta Georgia. Please contact me 

4Reply
264 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Marietta, GA · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 168 votes
6y

@Robert Collins- I've found handymen and contractors a variety of ways: 

1. Posted ads on Craigslist

2. Researched Thumbtack 

3. Reached out on Yelp 

4. Word of mouth 

I'm sure this goes with out saying in any market- not just Augusta. BUYER BEWARE! There are hundreds of guys out there in Augusta advertising as qualified contractors and handymen.... I would say 90% of the people I have worked with have been lazy, cut corners and did sloppy work. Especially if you are investing from out of town, they will look at you as a double sucker. No joke- although there are good people out there- assume 90% of the people you talk to are lying to your face about their capabilities. You have to do an extremely good job screening and interviewing on the front end to find the right people. 

And not to discourage you- obviously you can see I've been burned- pretty severely- And I've still made money and believe Augusta is a great market- I have learned some valuable lessons that I hope can help you as you are starting your journey- 

1. Check 3-5 references. No joke- 1 reference is not enough. You need to qualify more than one reference. 

2. If their prices are too good to be true- then its for good reason. I got sucked into trying to find cheap labor. Just last week I realized that because of that- I ended paying 2 x more than I would have needed to pay had I just hired a quality contractor and paid a fair price. And had been fumbling around like this for a better part of year- Imagine the money I could have saved had I gone with a higher quality person from the start. 

3. Make sure the contractor you use is licensed. Bonded and Insured is a plus, but at least licensed, and that they can show you their paperwork when you ask. 

4. No one person can do it all- If you find a handyman that is good at hanging up blinds- don't ask them to fix a sink or fix a dishwasher- have a deep bench of people who are highly skilled at certain areas. I would actually encourage you to try to find the following: 

1. A person who can fix light plumbing 

2. A different person who specializes in electrical 

3. A carpenter for drywall, roof and exterior repairs 

4.  A painter for painting 

5. An appliance repair person for appliances 

(you get my point) 

5. Do not depend on a "one call thats all" outfit. I have gotten royally burned doing that. 

6. ONLY PAY WITH CC- I have gotten burned paying via cash app- at least with a credit card you can dispute the charge and get your money back if they produce crappy work. 

7. Never pay 50% up front. There are some serious jokers out there asking for 50% up front and have only provided crappy work. 

8. If possible, if you can find a local who can personally inspect the work when it's done, or the tenant can vouch for the work, then do so. I used to rely on photos, but now I require a video via facetime and inspect everything I contracted them out to do. 

9. Write out a detailed scope of work before the project and have them send you a written quote. Before you release ANY payments, go through that scope of work via video chat and make sure it was all done. Photos put you at risk- they can easily take photos of things that look good and take them from far enough away that you can't see the short cuts. 

As a new investor- if you put these processes in place, screen through the crap and find the golden nuggets then you only have to do THIS ONCE! Things will be so much easier for you in the long run. Trust me- there is good money to be made in Augusta but a lot of sharks trying to take a bite out of you when it comes to contractors. I can certainly give you advice on who I WOULDN'T hire- and have found some great people to work with. But I think the biggest learning lesson is finding your own gems out there.  I hope this helps you. 

Kim 

See this reply in the discussion

111 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Marietta, GA · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 168 votes
    6y

    @AJ Neal are you still interested in investing in Augusta? I’ve been in that market for 14 years.

  • Investor · Marietta, GA · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 168 votes
    6y

    @Troy Durrette- are you still interested in the Augusta market? I’ve been an active investor there for 14 years.

  • Investor · Marietta, GA · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 168 votes
    6y

    @Chris Majors- I’m also looking to network with more investors in the Augusta area. I’ve been actively investing in Augusta for 14 years. Let me know if you wanted to share connections. Also have a few properties with qualified renters available.

  • Investor · Marietta, GA · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 168 votes
    6y

    @Nikita Tippins I’ve been actively investing in Augusta for 14 years. Are you still interested in that area for networking? Please let me know.

  • Investor · Marietta, GA · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 168 votes
    6y

    @Amahl Miller - I’m an active investor in Augusta, GA- been there for about 14 years. I have a property already remodeled with a qualified renter in place. Wasn’t sure if it was up you alley anymore- and would also be happy to share some connections. Merry Christmas!

  • Investor · Marietta, GA · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 168 votes
    6y

    @Ryan Beasley do you work with investors looking to buy? I have a property that has been remodeled and a qualified tenant in place. Cap rate 13.5%. This is in the Harrisburg area. Feel free to reach out and Merry Christmas.

  • Investor · Marietta, GA · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 168 votes
    6y

    @Koob Moua- Are you still interested in the Augusta area? I’ve been there for 14 years and have some good connections. Feel free to give me a shout if I can help. Also have a few renovated properties with qualified renters available. 13.5% cap rates.

  • Investor · Marietta, GA · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 168 votes
    6y

    @Hillary Frazier- do you work with any investors who are looking for a place already rehabbed and tenant placed?

  • Investor · Marietta, GA · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 168 votes
    6y

    @Brian Robinson are you still investing in Augusta?

  • Investor · Marietta, GA · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 168 votes
    6y

    @Keidrick Cole- Are you still looking into Augusta? I have been investing actively there for 14 years and have a good system in place. We have started rehabbing properties and placing qualified renters- can also do the management if you wanted or refer you to a few other management companies. Sorry if this seems out of the blue but did want to reach out.

  • Rental Property Investor · Augusta, GA · Member since 2019 · 129 posts · 112 votes
    6y

    @Kimberly Kesterke I'd be interested in more details on your Harrisburg property.  I own several in that neighborhood.

  • Investor · 30909 · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    Greetings I just got stationed at Fort Gordon. I'm looking to buy a master's rental house and then Airbnb it the rest of the year. According to airdna Evans does well for Airbnb but I'm curious if masters Renters will go that far out? Also if anyone has experience doing short term rentals in Augusta I'd love to buy you a coffee and chat.

    also does Augusta have any nice 2to4 Plex I also am thinking of VA loan house hacking a small multi family

    I own property in Fayetteville NC if anyone needs a contact up there

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Hillary Frazier can you please add me on your buyer's list,am particularly looking for a 2-4 unit small multifamily

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Ryan Beasley can you please add me on your mailing list,am a new investor here in Augusta,am primarily looking for a 2-4 unit small multifamily

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Myles Cardenas Hey,are you still investing in the Augusta area

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Keidrick Cole Hey,are you still investing in the Augusta area

  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Would anyone be able to recommend any real estate agents that work the Augusta area? I was considering going through a property manager company but wanted to see if anyone on BP might have someone who knows how investor expectations differ from regular buyers. Thank You.

  • Rental Property Investor · Augusta, GA · Member since 2016 · 97 posts · 56 votes
    6y

    Are you looking for an agent to find you deals on rental properties? Or something to flip? There are several in the area that I would recommend but it depends on what you need help with. Some property management companies (not all) could help you out as well. 

    Also, a great way to meet them would be to come to the local REIA meetings.

  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    6y
    Originally posted by @Paul Rush:

    Are you looking for an agent to find you deals on rental properties? Or something to flip? There are several in the area that I would recommend but it depends on what you need help with. Some property management companies (not all) could help you out as well. 

    Also, a great way to meet them would be to come to the local REIA meetings.

    Thanks for the advice. Ideally I would have liked to come to Augusta during one of the scheduled REIA meetings both to get to know the people and know the community. My plan is more based on rent and hold and looking at more recent properties. I've reached out already to one of the bigger PMs in the area already but just wanted to get BP's take as well for recommendations. Unfortunately the covid mess started which dragged my plans in the mud of visiting Augusta in April since travel went into heavy restriction in Maryland.


    Thank You everyone that has chipped in as each nugget of advice has taught me something new.

  • Rental Property Investor · Augusta, GA · Member since 2016 · 97 posts · 56 votes
    6y

    Didn't realize you were not in Augusta. Covid 19 has definitely changed a lot of people's plans but I think that it might create some opportunities also. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenville County SC / Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 403 posts · 120 votes
    6y

    @Curt Smith

    Hi I just purchased a buy&hold rental from Augusta , would you happen to know any handymen or contractors in the area ?

  • Rental Property Investor · Clarkston, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Robert Collins  Hi I just CCed you on an augusta buy and hold email list I have of a few owners in Augusta.  They have contractor referals.   FWIW its good advice to look up the local real estate groups in meetup.org and google for any local REIAs.  Local investors know whats going on.

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2019 · 90 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Robert Collins What’s up Robert? I was looking for buy and holds in Augusta too. Do you care to share your deal?  Just the numbers not the address. 

  • Investor · Marietta, GA · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 168 votes
    6y

    @Robert Collins- I've found handymen and contractors a variety of ways: 

    1. Posted ads on Craigslist

    2. Researched Thumbtack 

    3. Reached out on Yelp 

    4. Word of mouth 

    I'm sure this goes with out saying in any market- not just Augusta. BUYER BEWARE! There are hundreds of guys out there in Augusta advertising as qualified contractors and handymen.... I would say 90% of the people I have worked with have been lazy, cut corners and did sloppy work. Especially if you are investing from out of town, they will look at you as a double sucker. No joke- although there are good people out there- assume 90% of the people you talk to are lying to your face about their capabilities. You have to do an extremely good job screening and interviewing on the front end to find the right people. 

    And not to discourage you- obviously you can see I've been burned- pretty severely- And I've still made money and believe Augusta is a great market- I have learned some valuable lessons that I hope can help you as you are starting your journey- 

    1. Check 3-5 references. No joke- 1 reference is not enough. You need to qualify more than one reference. 

    2. If their prices are too good to be true- then its for good reason. I got sucked into trying to find cheap labor. Just last week I realized that because of that- I ended paying 2 x more than I would have needed to pay had I just hired a quality contractor and paid a fair price. And had been fumbling around like this for a better part of year- Imagine the money I could have saved had I gone with a higher quality person from the start. 

    3. Make sure the contractor you use is licensed. Bonded and Insured is a plus, but at least licensed, and that they can show you their paperwork when you ask. 

    4. No one person can do it all- If you find a handyman that is good at hanging up blinds- don't ask them to fix a sink or fix a dishwasher- have a deep bench of people who are highly skilled at certain areas. I would actually encourage you to try to find the following: 

    1. A person who can fix light plumbing 

    2. A different person who specializes in electrical 

    3. A carpenter for drywall, roof and exterior repairs 

    4.  A painter for painting 

    5. An appliance repair person for appliances 

    (you get my point) 

    5. Do not depend on a "one call thats all" outfit. I have gotten royally burned doing that. 

    6. ONLY PAY WITH CC- I have gotten burned paying via cash app- at least with a credit card you can dispute the charge and get your money back if they produce crappy work. 

    7. Never pay 50% up front. There are some serious jokers out there asking for 50% up front and have only provided crappy work. 

    8. If possible, if you can find a local who can personally inspect the work when it's done, or the tenant can vouch for the work, then do so. I used to rely on photos, but now I require a video via facetime and inspect everything I contracted them out to do. 

    9. Write out a detailed scope of work before the project and have them send you a written quote. Before you release ANY payments, go through that scope of work via video chat and make sure it was all done. Photos put you at risk- they can easily take photos of things that look good and take them from far enough away that you can't see the short cuts. 

    As a new investor- if you put these processes in place, screen through the crap and find the golden nuggets then you only have to do THIS ONCE! Things will be so much easier for you in the long run. Trust me- there is good money to be made in Augusta but a lot of sharks trying to take a bite out of you when it comes to contractors. I can certainly give you advice on who I WOULDN'T hire- and have found some great people to work with. But I think the biggest learning lesson is finding your own gems out there.  I hope this helps you. 

    Kim 

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenville County SC / Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 403 posts · 120 votes
    6y

    @C-Dell J.

    38 purchase

    20 rehab

    Hoping to rent for 950 to 1000

    Arv 90 at the time of purchase, I’m not sure what it is at the moment with all of the covid stuff going on.

    I was hoping to do a cash out refi from bank and purchase another before year end.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.