AUGUSTA GEORGIA

AUGUSTA GEORGIA

Wholesaler · RDU, NC · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 5 votes

HI BP Family,

Who has all the momentum in Augusta Georgia as far as real estate goes , wholesalers and investors a like. Looking to network with People in Augusta Georgia. Please contact me 

4Reply
282 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Marietta, GA · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 168 votes
6y

@Robert Collins- I've found handymen and contractors a variety of ways: 

1. Posted ads on Craigslist

2. Researched Thumbtack 

3. Reached out on Yelp 

4. Word of mouth 

I'm sure this goes with out saying in any market- not just Augusta. BUYER BEWARE! There are hundreds of guys out there in Augusta advertising as qualified contractors and handymen.... I would say 90% of the people I have worked with have been lazy, cut corners and did sloppy work. Especially if you are investing from out of town, they will look at you as a double sucker. No joke- although there are good people out there- assume 90% of the people you talk to are lying to your face about their capabilities. You have to do an extremely good job screening and interviewing on the front end to find the right people. 

And not to discourage you- obviously you can see I've been burned- pretty severely- And I've still made money and believe Augusta is a great market- I have learned some valuable lessons that I hope can help you as you are starting your journey- 

1. Check 3-5 references. No joke- 1 reference is not enough. You need to qualify more than one reference. 

2. If their prices are too good to be true- then its for good reason. I got sucked into trying to find cheap labor. Just last week I realized that because of that- I ended paying 2 x more than I would have needed to pay had I just hired a quality contractor and paid a fair price. And had been fumbling around like this for a better part of year- Imagine the money I could have saved had I gone with a higher quality person from the start. 

3. Make sure the contractor you use is licensed. Bonded and Insured is a plus, but at least licensed, and that they can show you their paperwork when you ask. 

4. No one person can do it all- If you find a handyman that is good at hanging up blinds- don't ask them to fix a sink or fix a dishwasher- have a deep bench of people who are highly skilled at certain areas. I would actually encourage you to try to find the following: 

1. A person who can fix light plumbing 

2. A different person who specializes in electrical 

3. A carpenter for drywall, roof and exterior repairs 

4.  A painter for painting 

5. An appliance repair person for appliances 

(you get my point) 

5. Do not depend on a "one call thats all" outfit. I have gotten royally burned doing that. 

6. ONLY PAY WITH CC- I have gotten burned paying via cash app- at least with a credit card you can dispute the charge and get your money back if they produce crappy work. 

7. Never pay 50% up front. There are some serious jokers out there asking for 50% up front and have only provided crappy work. 

8. If possible, if you can find a local who can personally inspect the work when it's done, or the tenant can vouch for the work, then do so. I used to rely on photos, but now I require a video via facetime and inspect everything I contracted them out to do. 

9. Write out a detailed scope of work before the project and have them send you a written quote. Before you release ANY payments, go through that scope of work via video chat and make sure it was all done. Photos put you at risk- they can easily take photos of things that look good and take them from far enough away that you can't see the short cuts. 

As a new investor- if you put these processes in place, screen through the crap and find the golden nuggets then you only have to do THIS ONCE! Things will be so much easier for you in the long run. Trust me- there is good money to be made in Augusta but a lot of sharks trying to take a bite out of you when it comes to contractors. I can certainly give you advice on who I WOULDN'T hire- and have found some great people to work with. But I think the biggest learning lesson is finding your own gems out there.  I hope this helps you. 

Kim 

See this reply in the discussion

111 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Greenville County SC / Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 403 posts · 120 votes
    6y

    @Kimberly Kesterke thanks! I’m going to copy this & use these useful tips

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2019 · 90 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Robert Collins. Nice! Congrats! I was looking at properties in the price range but properties from MLS and ARV's were around $50k. Which made BRRRR'n difficult. I will revisit Augusta but I need better Boots on ground there.

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenville County SC / Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 403 posts · 120 votes
    6y

    @C-Dell J.

    Yeah I’m in the douglasville area I go to Augusta through out the week for deliveries on my trucking route which makes it alittle easier to be have boots on the ground

  • Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Robert Collins which lender are you using for you refinancing? Does your lender do small loans? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenville County SC / Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 403 posts · 120 votes
    6y

    @Claudia Ho i haven’t used one yet but I’m hoping to use BB&T in September, I use them for a heloc earlier this year and they did a 85% ltv @ 3.99 15 year arm

  • Business Owner/Investor · Millersville, MD · Member since 2015 · 191 posts · 71 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Chris Majors:

    @AJ Neal

    @Troy Durrette

    I'm looking to network in Augusta as well.  I am looking for real estate deals for myself and my clients.  I also just sent out a direct mail campaign, so let me know what you're looking for.

     You are about 10 minutes away from me, would love to meet up to talk about real estate. Just bought 5 properties in North Augusta, and looking to expand rapidly. 

  • Business Owner/Investor · Millersville, MD · Member since 2015 · 191 posts · 71 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Curt Smith:

    @Robert Collins  Hi I just CCed you on an augusta buy and hold email list I have of a few owners in Augusta.  They have contractor referals.   FWIW its good advice to look up the local real estate groups in meetup.org and google for any local REIAs.  Local investors know whats going on.

    Can you add me to this list as well Curt? I am currently looking for a list of contractors. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Clarkston, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Logan Hicks

    @Kimberly Kesterke

    Hi, its Kimberly who has the Augusta contacts. PM Kimberly.

    Always join local ReIa groups search on meetup.org go and join.

    I also use craigslist services offered. I find good handymen and tradesmen on craigslist.

    I've also place gigs adds rocky of the entire scope of work and prices that I pay. I don't fool with getting bids on small rehab I know exactly what I want to pay and I get that out up fribt.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 50 posts · 23 votes
    6y

    I have an apartment complex under contract in Augusta. I'm happy to hop on the phone with anyone that's interested in the market. Rising tides raise all ships. 

  • Martinez, GA · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    I'm located in the Augusta area and just now getting into investing in rentals. No properties at the moment. I typically don't just wait around for things to happen, but I find myself wondering if I shouldn't wait to see what will happen with the real estate market after the effects of all of these federal mortgage forbearance mandates wear off. I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot of residential properties coming up available in foreclosure auctions. Waiting on that to happen might be my novice inexperience. Any advice you wouldn't mind sharing with someone getting started in the area? Thanks in advance.

  • Investor · Grovetown, GA · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 67 votes
    6y

    @Josh Curtis that all depends. I’ve seen many investors in the market stop buying. They are waiting to see what happens next which leads to more opportunities for others. If you know your rental criteria and something comes up that fits it then get it. Just take your time and make sure it’s operating as it should before you go to the next one. I’m in the area as well so if you want to talk more offline about it you can PM me. I’d be happy to help.

  • Real Estate Agent · Augusta, GA · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    I'm a real estate agent, serving The CSRA and residing in Grovetown. I have roots in Augusta, although growing up, my family spent time split between NC and VA during my father's military career.
    I have listed and sold a few investment properties, however, I am looking to link up with and learn from those that are more experienced in investments to enhance my professional and personal knowledge. I've been back and forth with the idea of buy & holds for some years now, waiting for others to jump in with me but...I think it's time to just do the "dang thang" myself! 

    Looking forward to connecting with you all & utilizing any tips/advice you are willing to share. 
     

  • Martinez, GA · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Richard Capers Jr that definitely makes sense. I have been watching a few homes that seem like they would be decent investment properties, especially with some minor rehab, but they're still on the market after about a month. That might explain why, with the majority of investors backing off. I think I'm at least 6 months or so, at a minimum, away from being where I need to be before I commit to purchasing anything though.

    I'm the type that likes to know all the angles of a situation before I jump in. I've been researching the pros/cons of doing business through a corporation (mostly because I have some other ventures that I'm exploring as well). I'm also trying to go through the VA loan guarantee program documentation, so that I can identify any of the loop holes that might allow me to purchase multiple properties, hopefully with the ability to transfer to an entity, all while utilizing the $0 down payment to maximize leverage. There's a lot to go through with all of that. I will definitely take you up on the discussing offline as I get a little more into all of this. I appreciate it.

  • Martinez, GA · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    Do any investors in the Augusta area know a good attorney who is knowledgeable in real estate investment? I have an idea to take advantage of inevitable housing market crash, but it's fairly unorthodox and unconventional. I want to make sure everyone involved would be protected, to include the current home owners. 

    Also, any referrals for CPAs in the Augusta area, who specialize in investment real estate, corporate finances, and asset management would also be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

  • Rental Property Investor · Augusta, GA · Member since 2019 · 129 posts · 112 votes
    6y

    @Jimmy Pruitt I'm a little biased, but Auben Realty could help you with that.  Let me know if I can help you out there.

    @Josh Curtis check out Huggins Peil or Wright McCleod.

  • Rental Property Investor · Augusta, GA · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 16 votes
    6y

    I’ve been trolling the the forum for days and am so grateful for the transparency of investors and agents in Augusta, GA. Looking forward to sharing my experiences and networking as I strive to grow my rental portfolio

  • Rental Property Investor · Augusta, GA · Member since 2016 · 97 posts · 56 votes
    6y

    @Shanice Waller Thats one more great reason to invest in Augusta. (As if there were not enough already)

  • Investor · Augusta, GA · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Richard Capers Jr

    I'll be moving to the Augusta, Georgia area next month an am looking for a multi-single home, it can be a fixer-upper, do you have any leads on that.

  • Investor · Augusta, GA · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Harvet Roberts can you refer me to any whole sellers you work with. Am a new investor in the Augusta area an looking for buy and hold rental properties.

  • Rental Property Investor · Augusta, GA · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 16 votes
    6y

    @Paul Rush Thank you!

  • Developer · Augusta, GA · Member since 2018 · 40 posts · 20 votes
    6y

    @Josh Curtis Glad to help. McLeod & Murdock is one of the top Real Estate Law Firms that most folks use. I work with Sinceria Stallings she's great. 


    Let me know if you need a hand with anything else!

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    @Ryan Beasley I'll reach out to you for future deals.

    My business partner and I are starting to build our network in Augusta, GA area - looking to invest

    Hermes

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2019 · 90 posts · 14 votes
    5y

    @Shanice Waller Hello. Have you made any investment moves in Augusta yet?

  • Long Island City, NY · Member since 2018 · 36 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    I'm looking to do a cash out refi on a few multi families I have. 

    Properties are located in Augusta and North Augusta

    Anyone have any recommendations?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.