Heating and cooling with a propane furnace in a split level house

Heating and cooling with a propane furnace in a split level house

Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 1 vote

Does anyone have any experience with propane furnace's in the attic in the northeast? I have heard mixed thoughts regarding this issue. I have heard that the furnaces can cause ice damming on the roof and the condensate line could freeze. 

0Reply
14 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    Yes those problems are possible but can be corrected. Is there no where else to put the heater? Basement? Closet in house?

  • Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    There used to be a furnace in the basement but they got rid of it and put electric heat at some point. There are some of the old ducks from the '50s but not all the ducks are still in place because when they installed the electric heat they removed a few of the ducks in the living room and kitchen. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    Maybe look into a ductless mini-split system then. A little pricier at first but very efficient and long lasting....

  • Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    I got a quote for three mini split units and they wanted 15k which seemed pretty high. I would think that it would cost me about the same if they put in a propane furnace with some new ducting in the basement. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    If it's the same cost, go with the mini-splits. They're a superior method of conditioning the air.

  • Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    Where I live it can get to at least -5 degrees in the winter. I would think it would not be cost effective to heat your house with heat pumps at that temperature. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.