Loan contingency may have been fraudulently fulfilled

Loan contingency may have been fraudulently fulfilled

Aubrey FordPro Member
Investor · Atlanta · Member since 2023 · 52 posts · 16 votes

I purchased a SFH that had a septic. When inspecting the property it was obvious hte Septic needed repairs. I created a contingency for the seller to repair and service the septic system. Spent the next year rehabbing the property. Finally got tenants in last month and this month I am told the septic is full and backing into the house. What are my options here? Seems I may have been taken advantage of...

0Reply
11 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    2y

    You should have verified that it was fixed prior to closing. Now it's your responsibility to get it fixed.

  • Investor · WNY/CNY/Adirondacks, New York State · Member since 2024 · 151 posts · 133 votes
    2y

    You trusted the sellers to fix something and didn't inspect it or get a receipt? Not sure how it was obvious the septic needed repairs considering it's buried a couple feet underground.  It may be the leach field that's the problem. (It also may be a good old fashioned clogged drain.)

    Either way, you need to schedule the septic to be pumped out now and every 2-3 years.  It costs about $300-400 depending on where you live and it saves a lot of problems.  It seems like no one ever thinks to get this regular maintenance done.  Call a septic company and they will come with their truck, dig down so they can pop the top off, pump it out, and inspect it for you.

    If you've had contractors in the house, I wouldn't be surprised that things that shouldn't have been flushed were flushed.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.