Health Insurance

Health Insurance

Lancaster, PA · Member since 2008 · 28 posts · 2 votes

For those of you who have transitioned into fulltime investors....

What are you using for personal and family health insurance?

What kind of prgrams are available/recommended?

What is the range of monthly cost you are experiencing?

I'm aware this will vary state-by-state, but overall averages should be similar.

Thanks,
Josh

0Reply
93 views

Most Popular Reply

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
16y
Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:
You know Jason this got me to thinking. This didn't used to be a political issue... and that could be the problem. Is it me or is DC systematically politicizing the apolitical elements of our lives to divide people ideologically?


That's certainly a really interesting way to look at it, and I think you're absolutely right.

While I don't know that the goal is to divide people, it feels like it's gotten to the point where it's more important to adhere to an ideology than to focus on making this a better country.

And I'll blame the Democrats for starting it 8 years ago with the Iraq war (actually, I think the "religious right" started this before then, but the Democrats did more damage, more quickly). When we invaded Iraq, I have to believe that most of the politicians who supported the war did so because they believed it was in the best interest of our country. And most of the politicians who didn't support the war honestly felt like it wasn't in our best interest to attack Iraq at that point in time. It wasn't a political issue...it was about HOW BEST DO WE PROTECT OURSELVES.

I wasn't a supporter of the war, but back then, I certainly didn't see it as a partisan issue. I knew plenty of liberals who thought invading Iraq was a good thing. And I knew plenty of conservatives who thought invading Iraq wasn't the right course of action. I was all for invasion in the middle east, but it wasn't Iraq I thought we should invade.

Then, over the course of just a few months, it became a pure "us versus them" mentality among the parties.

Suddenly, there was nothing about the "war on terror" that liberals supported and there was nothing about the war on terror that the conservatives would stand up and say, "that's just not right!" It was pretty crazy that on an issue so important to the future safety of the citizens of this country that our politicians thought it was more important to toe the party line than to do what they really thought was right.

Ever since then, it seems like EVERY issue is now Democrat vs Republican. Doesn't matter what the issue is, you either side with one party or the other, and you're either fully for it or fully against it.

And it's only fueled by the media. Look at these idiot talk show hosts... I've previously mentioned my disdain for Beck, O'Reilly and Limbaugh, but trust me, I feel the same way about Keith Olbermann, Alan Colmes, and Bill Maher (though Maher gets credit for at least being funny). Every one of them has a "you're either on this side or that side" mentality, and if you think you can straddle the line on some issues (or fall on different sides of the line on different issues), you're made to feel like an idiot.

It's even worse when those with the microphone can so completely corrupt an issue that it can't even be discussed. A good example is Sarah Palin with the whole "death panels" thing. She took an issue that could be debated on its merits, and corrupted it to the point where it couldn't even be discussed, all with that one ridiculous phrase.

Harry Reid does this same thing every chance he gets -- he takes issues from a point where they can be logically debated, and turns them into sound bites that essentially remove all rationale. Politicians are happy to make up lies if it will advance their agenda.

To make things worse, these days, people aren't expected to have opinions. They're only expected to be "liberal" or "conservative." Democrat or Republican. Us or Them.

For example, everyone here thinks I'm a radical liberal. On social issues I certainly am (and I'm proud of it). But, on most fiscal and Constitutional issues, I'm a Libertarian (and I'm equally proud of that). I've stated many of my conservative beliefs over the past year (for example, I've been very outspoken about how stupid TARP was), but people here can't seem to grasp the fact that I can have opinions on both extremes, as if there's something wrong with that. People can't seem to grasp that I can have opinions on both extremes...though I fail to see why that's so weird...

Ten years ago it was pretty common to be a moderate, or to have beliefs on both sides of the spectrum; today you're "flip flopper" or a "fake ".

It's about time people are once again allowed to debate issues on their merits, without having talk show hosts, politicians, or anyone else try to boil issues down to catch-phrases, sound bites, or us-vs-them battle-lines. And it's about time people should be allowed to believe whatever they want to believe without being made to feel like they are "supporting the enemy."

I don't know if any of that made sense, but in short, I agree with you Tim...

See this reply in the discussion

49 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · London · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 74 votes
    18y

    Josh,

    Call the local Chamber of Commerce and see what programs they have for small business owners. In the past the Chamber seems to have very competitive options. It will vary by location.

    John Corey

  • Loveland, CO · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 123 votes
    18y

    We shopped it pretty hard and went with Assurant. We have high deductible, we're in pretty good health and have high deductibles on all insurance, house, cars, etc.

    It's too bad that health insurance is so expensive in the US. I'm convinced that high health care costs actually keep some budding entepreneurs from going out on their own.

    I'm a screaming free marketeer but it doesn't seem to work in the case of health care/insurance. Of course it's so laden with back door deals among the insurance and drug companies that it's not really free market.

    all cash

  • Rental Property Investor · Yardley, PA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 561 votes
    18y

    Josh, I am in eastern PA and purchase my own insurance. For my family of 6 I now pay Blue Cross $1300/month for personal choice. I would rather have a higher deductible plan but haven't found one I like yet.

    Another option would be a health savings account.

    Don't ask me which insurance company I like best, as I am a physician by profession and hate them all!! :badwords:

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 9 votes
    18y

    To be honest I haven't thought about that but now that you mention it I know I should get it now due to the fact that I am at prime age! The younger you are the cheaper it is espically if you dont smoke or drink. Well that would be nice to know what options I have and what company would be best for me and my family! Thank you all for your input.

  • Member since 2008 · 65 posts · 2 votes
    18y

    I pay for a plan through Blue Cross. You can go to their website and get a close to accurate quote. Our monthly is under $400 for my wife and I with a $1000 deductable.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 9 votes
    18y

    Hey there Chop-

    Do you mind if I ask what exactly does that mean to you as far as coverage goes? Cause some health plans promise so much but are not able to deliver when the "you know what hits the fan"! Thank you for your time and have nice biggerpockets day!

  • Real Estate Investor · Millsboro, DE · Member since 2008 · 480 posts · 26 votes
    18y

    I have blue cross also. I pay $131 mon. for just myself. Ive used it once. I dont even know why I have it, other than for major medical, in case im in a accident or something. I dont get sick, but sometimes I wish I did, so I could get what Im paying for. (I thank my raw food diet for my good health, if anyone was wondering.)

    Its got co pays for dr. visits (10/20), and they pay 85% of major medical. Its the blue cross ppo plan, I think.

  • Member since 2008 · 65 posts · 2 votes
    18y

    loki...I will have to dig out my policy and take a look. It is reasonably priced because I am in my early 30s, and have preferred status, and my wife doesn't have the pregnancy coverage. Copay is like TonyS. Oddly, I feel like I got about a years worth of coverage for free. I had an elective procedure that I checked on before having it...was told it wasn't covered, and honestly wasn't expecting it to be paid for. They paid for it anyway...Cost was around $1500.

    Interesting... My wife had IBS that had her digestive system in terrible condition, really really bad. Things have been good as long as she stays away from raw fruit or raw vegetables. They don't break down well. Fire was a great find for mankind.

  • Real Estate Investor · Millsboro, DE · Member since 2008 · 480 posts · 26 votes
    18y

    I couldnt disagree more. The reason she has ibs is her diet in the first place. She is probably completely acidic, which is fueling the fire. Fire and cooked food is the reason most disease exists. Raw food breaks down fine, if you are eating nothing but raw food, and you have enough protein during that meal. If it doesn't break down and digest, there are problems in your body, or with your diet. I digest all fruits and veggies without a problem, because I make sure I have plenty of protein when I eat, and I also take probiotics. So your wife is eating absolutely no fruits or vegetables? Wow. Even the most ill-trained doctor will tell you that is no good.

    We were never meant to eat meat, and more importantly cooked meat. We dont have a digestive system designed for meat consumption, and cant deal with the cholesterol and uric acid. Our teeth and saliva are not carnivorous. Ours saliva is alkaline (perfect for plant material), while carnivorous animals are extremely acidic. Carnivors have very short digestive tracts, so rotting flesh can be easily expelled. Herbivores, including humans, have extremely long digestive tracts (10 times longer than carnivores), providing long transit times to digest and extract the nutrients from plants. Yes, plants are harder to break down, thats why we were ingeniously designed the way we are.

    Cooking foods kills all the enzymes, and a chunk of the vitamins. Lycopene is no exception, imo. Just because heat produces more lycopene in the tomato, doesnt mean its better. Its been heated viciously, so the uptake of that lycopene is very much inhibited, because you killed the essence and life of the food, with the heat. (enzymes)

    This is coming from MD's and many studies, though many still wont agree, which is proposterous. Nature is literally smacking us in face telling us what to do, and we still ignore it. Not only that, but id much rather put my health in my hands, than a doctors. You are 9000 times more likely to die by the hands of a doctor, than you are by an accidental gunshot. Maybe the gun control enthusiasts should put the focus on a bigger problem.

    On top of all that, cooking food turns it horribly acidic. We are not acidic. We need to be alkaline, and put things into us that are alkaline. Hey what do you know? Fruits and vegetables are alkaline, and if they arent in the beginning, your body converts them. (lemons, etc.)

    Here is a thought. If our bodies run on proteins, vitamins, minerals, water, and enzymes, then why do we get hungry? All of our bodily needs have been met, but yet we are still clawing for that piece of apple pie. Its because we are addicted to food. Yes I said it. It looks much like a full blown drug addiction from the outside, if you take a good look. Being we are so trained to eat cooked food, noone even questions it. Its like drug addicts hanging out with other drug addicts; noone thinks anything is wrong.

    The body can heal itself of anything. (I can hear it already. "This guy is crazy!") But yes, I think it can. When we get a cut, our body magically heals itself. The same thing can happen on the inside, if we allow it to. Cramming cooked food and meats down our gullets will never, ever allow that to happen.

    Here is yet another thought. Why do oncologists take the majority of cancer patients off of red meat, and dairy? Because it is known to spike certain proteins, indicating the cancer is thriving. So if you shouldnt be eating red meat and dairy when you have cancer, then why in gods name would you think its ok if you don't?

  • Member since 2008 · 65 posts · 2 votes
    18y

    This will be my last post on the subject, sorry to original poster for the hijack.

    naw..just doesn't eat raw very much. Very little red meat in the diet. It is mostly vegatables.

    It was bad bad. She seen several MDs and gastro spec. on the subject and we learned that they aren't (or werent a few years ago) too up on IBS, its causes and solutions. Quite honestly, I am a bit embarassed for the lack of research US based medicine has done in this area. Lay-research and working with an accupuncturist got her on the right track... It has been years now, and she is feeling good.

    Tonys. - didn't mean to bring all that out.

  • Real Estate Investor · Millsboro, DE · Member since 2008 · 480 posts · 26 votes
    18y

    Its fine. Just wanted you to know there are plenty of other options, and that doctors dont have the answer. Im glad she is doing well, and I hope she continues.

    I didnt mean to sound like I was attacking you or anything of the sort. That wasnt my intention at all. lol

  • Member since 2008 · 65 posts · 2 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "TonyS.":
    Its fine. Just wanted you to know there are plenty of other options, and that doctors dont have the answer. Im glad she is doing well, and I hope she continues.

    I didnt mean to sound like I was attacking you or anything of the sort. That wasnt my intention at all. lol

    No worries Tony. Thanks.

  • Real Estate Investor · ten mile, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 374 votes
    16y

    If all this were true, then why do most of the fruit and vegatarian animals become so fat? Like cows!

    If the truth be know, the body was created to be able to digest any NATURAL food, be it meat or fruit or vegatable. But in moderation. We used to cook and eat only what was needed. Now we cook and preserve our food. It is those preservatives that are not natural that upset the system. But no one (doctors or nutritionalists) will admit this because there is almost no way to avoid eating something that has not been preserved with some manmade chemical preservative.

    That is the real problem.

    As far as the topic's beginning there are not too many companies left that offer a good health insurance because of all the recent health changes and regulations or proposed legislations that are now hopefully dead.

    I want choice without being forced into anything. And will welcome the conversation getting back to which options there are out there that most of us seem to not know exist.

    I am sure options are out there, but I have not found any good ones.

  • Mobile Home Investor · Spanaway, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 578 votes
    16y

    What a giant WIN for the insurance companies! The Government now makes it MANDATORY that you have a health insurance plan in place or you will have to pay a penalty. Isn't that a nice bonus for the Insurance Industry. Fat bonuses to their lobbyists and their CEOs! The poor individual who can't afford the health insurance premium will now be penalized for this? They are already penalized by having to pay higher prices because they do not have health insurance! What a SCAM!

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Realtyman:
    What a giant WIN for the insurance companies!


    The CEOs of those insurance companies completely disagree with you...
  • Real Estate Investor · ten mile, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 374 votes
    16y

    OK, so you passed a law that says we have to pay a penalty for not being able to afford health insurance.

    How do you collect that penalty, when we cant pay for health insurance? Going to charge us with contempt and send us to jail? Going to force business to pay us enough to pay for health insurance? Oops, more unemployment and more without health insurance as those business fail.

    I guess if you take us to jail, the government will give us that health insurance for free.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by jawsette:
    OK, so you passed a law that says we have to pay a penalty for not being able to afford health insurance.

    Read the bill...

    Costs are reduced or waived for those who can't afford coverage...

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    16y

    Do you have a link to the bill as it was passed. I did some searching today (ok, all of five minutes) but I'm not sure I found what they actually passed.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Jon Holdman:
    Do you have a link to the bill as it was passed. I did some searching today (ok, all of five minutes) but I'm not sure I found what they actually passed.


    Here you go, Jon:

    http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h3590/text

  • Real Estate Investor · ten mile, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 374 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    Originally posted by jawsette:
    OK, so you passed a law that says we have to pay a penalty for not being able to afford health insurance.


    Read the bill...

    Costs are reduced or waived for those who can't afford coverage...

    More promises. No actual figures given. How often can that "affordability" be changed. Who controls that changing criteria.

    I remember other such plans of governemnt taking care of people that now have reduced benefits and copays. Such is governmental promises.

  • Real Estate Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2010 · 153 posts · 104 votes
    16y

    Which means that the tax payers are footing the bill. Which are mostly people who have insurance. So the argument that costs are so high because we are paying for the uninsured masses is still valid . Nothing has changed

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Christopher Davis:

    Which means that the tax payers are footing the bill.


    Yup. Though taxpayers already foot the bill -- every time an uninsured person enters the ER and can't pay, it comes out of our pockets. This way, hopefully people who can't afford insurance will be able to get some preventative care, thus reducing long-term costs to the taxpayers.

    Oh, and by the way, taxpayers foot the bill for almost everything in this country...Defense, Roads, Education, Fire, Police, Social Services, etc.


    So the argument that costs are so high because we are paying for the uninsured masses is still valid . Nothing has changed


    According to the NON-PARTISAN Congressional Budget Office, the long-term impact of this bill will be to REDUCE the national deficit, which is unlike most of the other things taxpayers foot the bill for...

    And let's not forget that low-income families will live happier and healthier lives...not that many people here really care about that sort of thing...
  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    NON-PARTISAN Congressional Budget Office, the long-term impact of this bill will be to REDUCE the national deficit


    HAAAAAA! *snort* cough. I'm sorry was that out loud?

    I'm off to go shopping to reduce my credit card balances.

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 447 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    According to the NON-PARTISAN Congressional Budget Office, the long-term impact of this bill will be to REDUCE the national deficit, which is unlike most of the other things taxpayers foot the bill for...

    The CBO works with assumptions that never seem to materialize.

    Look at another huge government run program – Medicare.

    Started in 1966 at a cost of $3 Billion, it was only expected to cost $12 Billion (adjusted for inflation) by 1990.

    The reality was that it cost $107 Billion. Ooops, they goofed. It only cost 9 times more than expected. By 2007 that figure reached $599 Billion – 20% of all Government dollars spent went to fund the program.

    So the government isn’t exactly accurate in their projections. How much will they be off this time?

    If by some miracle it actually did reduce the deficit the drunken sailors of Congress would just spend it on something else.

    :cool:

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    NON-PARTISAN Congressional Budget Office, the long-term impact of this bill will be to REDUCE the national deficit


    HAAAAAA! *snort* cough. I'm sorry was that out loud?

    I assume that nonsensical stuff was an indication that you believe the CBO is not non-partisan...

    Do you have any data to support that implication? (like I don't already know the answer to that question)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.