Why do so many real estate people show their pictures?

Why do so many real estate people show their pictures?

Portland , OR · Member since 2008 · 29 posts · 2 votes

I was at a coffee shop the other day with a very good friend, and she was flipping through one of the local weekly papers, and she asked why so many brokers put their pictures in their ads. I couldn't offer any good ideas. And now looking through this board, so many people have THEIR OWN PICTURES as their avatars. I mean, besides being incredibly vain, is there an actual reason behind it? Because, and I very honestly mean this with all sincerity and do not mean it to come across as I'm sure it will, but there are a lot of your pictures that are awful. I'm not sure if any of you have seen the BBC version of The Office when David kicks the camera crew out of his office, but then poses for a picture before they leave? He gives this ridiculously absurd pose, but that is what it seems like so many people are doing here. What is it? What is the reasoning behind it?

0Reply
14 views

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    Because I look so friggin' sexy.

  • Real Estate Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 23 votes
    18y

    What I get a kick out of is when on their business card it is “Glamour” shot... And when you meet them in person they look nothing like their picture…

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 86 votes
    18y

    You gotta problem with my face??

  • Portland , OR · Member since 2008 · 29 posts · 2 votes
    18y

    Umm, no sir, I didn't mean it like that.

    Actually, the pictures in this thread aren't bad. But you guys know what I'm talking about.

  • Real Estate Investor · Member since 2008 · 23 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    I know ur not supposed to answer a question with a question, but I can't resist : What other picture do you want people to have in their avatar?

    The purpose of the foto's on this forum is for us to get to know eachother better , know who you are talking to..

    About the Realtors and why they have their pictures in their ads/business cards... According to me, they do that, because they want to build a relationship with the customers.. First of all, if you see a face, you will remember that face much easier than just a name and secondly if you like it or not, we're all prejudice in certain ways ,ever see those pictures of female lawyers, that look like they're in the wrong proffesion?

    Most people think that, if you're ugly, you're probably kind hearted, if you're good looking, you're probably arrogant and hurt on the inside, etc.. (might not be true ,but it is how most of us think) And those pictures can help you get on the good side of all those other prejudice people and earn their trust, that's why most realtors place them..

    I hope I made some sense..,

    Have a great day.

    Jay

  • Real Estate Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2008 · 424 posts · 5 votes
    18y

    I think it's just to let people know who you are. I have talked with so many people on this board that whenever I see a post from them I see their picture, makes me feel like I know them a bit. I guess my question for you hut is why does it bother you? Are you vain? :)

  • Real Estate Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 23 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "BlueStarHomes":
    ...whenever I see a post from them I see their picture, makes me feel like I know them a bit...

    Does my avatar make you feel like you know me?

    Or... does it remind you that you want to take a trip to Vegas?

  • Real Estate Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2008 · 424 posts · 5 votes
    18y

    Vegas Eric, Vegas. LOL. It makes me think of you as a gambler. One that takes chances... am I right?

  • Real Estate Broker · Jacksonville FL & Middletown, CT · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 633 votes
    18y

    Eric - yes I get that gambling vision when I see the avatar....but to the question...I am also a realtor and my pic is on my card. The goal is to give a " you know me" personal feel. I'd like to think I have a kind honest face. If that makes someone call me - I'll take it. On here...I posted the pic after a few people starting posted theirs and Josh encouraged it (name to the face...not totally anonymous...kinda thing).

  • Real Estate Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 23 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "BlueStarHomes":
    Vegas Eric, Vegas. LOL. It makes me think of you as a gambler. One that takes chances... am I right?

    I would say if someone is hanging out here, they also take a few chances… Calculated maybe, but indeed chances.

    Some are small fish, some are whales, (or learning to be one or the other)… but I think since we are all here… we all have a little gambler in us!

    (And yes… I have been known to go “all in”… More than once.)

  • Real Estate Investor · Millsboro, DE · Member since 2008 · 480 posts · 26 votes
    18y

    Im going to redo mine with wind machines, lightly blowing my hair back, as I stare up at a 45 degree angle, at nothing. Probably some fireworks going off in the background, and a plane skywriting my name. What do you guys think.

    To answer your question, I think its just so people can get to know you a little better. Some people definately take it too far though. I imagine there are some people out there who just love to look at themselves, and have to have their face everywhere.

    I also love pictures of people in mid step, when its very obvious they are just standing still. I laugh everytime.

  • Wholesaler · IL · Member since 2008 · 20 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    I can say for myself is that I would like the people who I come in contact with to know who they will be talking to, it puts the potential client at ease, to know they can see a pic of yourself...

    besides I think My SMILE is a gift, it brings warmth,& lots of times I get compliments from people who have had a bad day & say that they thought of my SMILE & it brought strength to them etc, so among other reasons that is why I post my pic. :D

    You should give it a try!!

    Blessings,Dotty

  • Portland , OR · Member since 2008 · 29 posts · 2 votes
    18y

    Dotty, first, you do have a great smile. Second, you can absolutely bet that I am going to be putting a picture on here soon.

    To Tony, THAT'S what I'm talking about. Some people have definitely taken it to ridiculous lengths. And nothing would make me personally want to do business with someone more than seeing a Dogfish Head logo in the background. Ever consider doing business over World Wide Stouts?

  • Investor · Bellefonte, PA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 88 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "EricFoster":

    Does my avatar make you feel like you know me?

    Yea it makes me think your playing with loaded dice ;-)

  • Real Estate Investor · Millsboro, DE · Member since 2008 · 480 posts · 26 votes
    18y

    Absolutely. Im from Rehoboth Beach, and frequent dogfish head often. It's getting national attention, and rightfully so. I think it was NY Times that rated their 90 Minute Imperial I.P.A. as the best in the nation, by their standards. Their food isn't mcdonalds, either. They have a great menu.

    That sign is from the dogfish head brewery. :D

  • Member since 2008 · 15 posts · 0 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "EricFoster":
    What I get a kick out of is when on their business card it is “Glamour” shot... And when you meet them in person they look nothing like their picture…

    Especially at a convention in Fla last Oct. So many people that came to our booth looked very little like their glamour shot business cards. One woman would up leaving two cards for us, bith had very different looking pictures of her on them.
  • Real Estate Investor · Denver · Member since 2008 · 16 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    I came across a funny Digg article not too long ago from Eric Bramlett's Austin real estate blog. The title was "The Ten Worst Realtor Headshots". Apparently it created such a firestorm of negative comments directed towards Eric that he finally removed the post. But here's one of the photos:
    http://www.futureofrealestatetechnology.com/general-real-estate-technology/top-10-worst-realtor-headshots/

    And along the same lines here's a simular post:
    http://www.futureofrealestatetechnology.com/general-real-estate-technology/what-is-this-title-rep-selling/

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    Ah man, the idea's already been used? Note to self...cancel bikini shoot....

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 86 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "Minna":
    Eric - yes I get that gambling vision when I see the avatar....but to the question...I am also a realtor and my pic is on my card. The goal is to give a " you know me" personal feel. I'd like to think I have a kind honest face. If that makes someone call me - I'll take it. On here...I posted the pic after a few people starting posted theirs and Josh encouraged it (name to the face...not totally anonymous...kinda thing).

    Well Minna's hot, so that explains why she does it.

  • Real Estate Investor · Denver · Member since 2008 · 16 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Exactly.
    We have a realtor that works the area that we live in and he drops off calendars and notepads with a picture of himself, a middle aged, over weight guy with a trumpet in his hands. Now I don't even want to look at this guy's image every time I jot down a note. But if the image was of an attractive gal like Minna, then I have a whole different take on it.

  • Fresno, CA · Member since 2008 · 19 posts · 1 vote
    18y

    This is based on my informal poll and has "O" scientific basis.

  • Real Estate Investor · AL · Member since 2008 · 131 posts · 1 vote
    18y

    Lots of Ego in the real estate business.

  • Property Manager · Member since 2008 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    it does give you a better feeling when choosing a realtor. Or, someone may see your face and remember you from a chance meeting. But, the glamour shots are very funny, one woman in my area puts them on billboards!!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.