word use "Your"

word use "Your"

Real Estate Investor · San Diego , CA · Member since 2008 · 78 posts · 2 votes

Only because I have seen the word "your" used SO many times incorrectly, I just have to point it out.

People are writing "your", where they mean to write "you are" or "you're". I have seen many posts that say something like, "Your not going to make a cash flow".

Please don't call Miss Manners on me. Have enough problems of my own to fix. :goofy:

0Reply
41 views

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    18y

    Dwayne -
    If I had to correct all of the grammatical and punctuation errors on the forums, I'd be doing it full-time.

    Sadly, as instant messaging emerged as a form of communication, the proper use of the English language declined. As a former teacher, I've seen how bad things have become in the past decade, and it isn't going to get better any time soon.

    What's worse is that popular culture is embracing the misuse of words and the media propagates it as well.

    Its the dumbing down of American Society, and it is happening in front of our very eyes.

  • Real Estate Investor · San Diego , CA · Member since 2008 · 78 posts · 2 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "biggerpo":
    Dwayne -
    If I had to correct all of the grammatical and punctuation errors on the forums, I'd be doing it full-time.

    I hear you. Writing on the forum isn't like using Word or some similar product. You could spend your day correcting my posts. "Your" bothered me because it is consistently being misused. It's not just a simple misspelling; it looks like people have really taken a hold of it. I only noted it, because I would most likely shut down a website that made this mistake.

  • Real Estate Investor · Millsboro, DE · Member since 2008 · 480 posts · 26 votes
    18y

    I do try to use correct grammar, as much as I can. I'll admit, I don't give it the attention it deserves.

    You're not going to get everyone on board, because they're not concerned, for the most part. Their children will learn the same habits, and should be placed over there, for improper usage. *points to corner*

    Now lets git on that new fangled world wide web, and do us some searchin'!

    :D (I probably made grammar mistakes in this post. lol)

  • Real Estate Investor · San Diego , CA · Member since 2008 · 78 posts · 2 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "TonyS":

    You're not going to get everyone on board, because they're not concerned, for the most part. Their children will learn the same habits, and should be placed over there, for improper usage. *points to corner*

    It's probably tougher on us "older folks" to see poor (pour? lol) grammar remembering how we had to do an entire paper over again on a typewriter to correct a single word. I can remember when the IBM Selectric became state of the art! :shock: On the other hand, it's important for the young folk to understand this point. If I see these kind of errors on their business website, contracts, whatever, they will probably lose me as a customer.

  • Real Estate Investor · Millsboro, DE · Member since 2008 · 480 posts · 26 votes
    18y

    Definately. I thought you just meant on forums, etc. If I was involved in a deal where there were grammar mistakes on contracts, I would request that they be corrected. Imo, contractions shouldn't be used in professional situations, either. It just flat out looks bad. (again, imo)

    Some instances of "there" Im still not sure are 100% correct, the way I use them. I was taught "there" specifies a place, like "over there". Then I use it when saying "there are places to go". It's the only "there" that fits, so I just stuck with it. No idea if it's grammatically correct.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "Harley1986":
    Only because I have seen the word "your" used SO many times incorrectly, I just have to point it out.

    People are writing "your", where they mean to write "you are" or "you're". I have seen many posts that say something like, "Your not going to make a cash flow".

    Please don't call Miss Manners on me. Have enough problems of my own to fix. :goofy:

    Your absolutley right. :lol:

  • Real Estate Investor · San Diego , CA · Member since 2008 · 78 posts · 2 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "TimWieneke":
    Originally posted by "Harley1986":
    Your absolutley right. :lol:

    I like reading your posts Tim. Your a funny guy!

  • OR · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 845 votes
    18y

    You know it's getting bad when the grafitti on the bathroom walls is so badly misspelled that you can't figure out what dirty word they were trying to convey.

    On the other hand, correcting a person's grammar or spelling without being asked to is an act of hostility and not only causes hard feelings, it makes people stop posting.

    Contrary to what the grammar police and spelling police dearly believe, it does not make them look like superior beings because they understand the inner workings of spelling and grammar. All it does is make them look like self-righteous jerks, running other people down.

    Generalized complaints about the lack of education in this country that are not directed at a specific poster aren't included in the above rant. Lord knows, one has to wonder what they are doing at school all day long, because no one seems to be learning anything.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "PNW":
    You know it's getting bad when the grafitti on the bathroom walls is so badly misspelled that you can't figure out what dirty word they were trying to convey.

    LOL!
    Originally posted by "PNW":
    On the other hand, correcting a person's grammar or spelling without being asked to is an act of hostility and not only causes hard feelings, it makes people stop posting.

    You're 100% right on this. It really isn't anyone's place to be correcting the grammar of others, especially when almost all of us are out there making some kind of mistake from time to time.
    Originally posted by "PNW":
    Generalized complaints about the lack of education in this country that are not directed at a specific poster aren't included in the above rant. Lord knows, one has to wonder what they are doing at school all day long, because no one seems to be learning anything.

    I do think that it is sad that we no longer really care about grammar, spelling, or punctuation. Teachers and educational institutions are mainly to blame . . . I've got a friend who was a professor at one of the top colleges in the country. This guy was berated by his supervisors for failing so many students for their poorly written papers.

    If this is going on in the elite universities, then we've got little hope left of correcting this downward spiral. :crying:

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "biggerpo":

    I do think that it is sad that we no longer really care about grammar, spelling, or punctuation. Teachers and educational institutions are mainly to blame . . .

    It's not so bad when you consider that grammar offenders include James Joyce, Samuel Clemens, Kurt Vonnegut, Arthur Miller and F. Scott Fitzgerald.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "Harley1986":
    Originally posted by "TimWieneke":
    Originally posted by "Harley1986":
    Your absolutley right. :lol:

    I like reading your posts Tim. Your a funny guy!

    Lol, thank you. One thing I did learn in Missouri is the proper term "yer". If you just learn "yer" then yer all set with yer english.

  • Real Estate Investor · Member since 2008 · 340 posts · 34 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "biggerpo":

    Sadly, as instant messaging emerged as a form of communication, the proper use of the English language declined. As a former teacher, I've seen how bad things have become in the past decade, and it isn't going to get better any time soon.

    I suspect it has more to due with the fact that the quality of grade and high school public educations are on the decline. School boards seem to be more interested in handing out condoms and teaching about global warming than teaching the three Rs.

  • Tucson, AZ · Member since 2008 · 945 posts · 45 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "Harley1986":
    Only because I have seen the word "your" used SO many times incorrectly, I just have to point it out.

    Try: "Because I see the word "your" used SO many times incorrectly, I want to point it out."
    (using active verbs rather than passive makes your writing more immediate, more exciting, more enjoyable.) :mrgreen:

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    Actually you're thinking passive voice. Ok the next person who corrects grammar - for the next 30 days all their postings in yoda grammar they must write. :lol:

  • Real Estate Investor · San Diego , CA · Member since 2008 · 78 posts · 2 votes
    18y

    Hey Flipper Dude, You caught my point. So did a few others. I wasn't playing Miss Manners, as much as letting some people know that certain errors (not on the forum, but on their personal business website posted on this site) would stop me from being a client. I see hard hitters on this site say, "If you can't take a little criticism, you better not be in this business". So here you go (not you personally Flipper). I was seeing things on personal websites, that would make me run fast with money in hand.

    Like I told Josh, you could probably correct my posts all day, but such obvious and consistent errors on business websites are a :protest: :protest:

    Oh S*&^ NO SPELLCHECKER--I'M DOOMED

    DWAYNE

  • Real Estate Investor · The Northeast, NH · Member since 2008 · 46 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    :)... um:

    "We're going to have the best educated American people in the world." ...Governor George
    W. Bush, Jr., 9/21/97

    Need more be said?

    :lol:

  • Real Estate Investor · The Northeast, NH · Member since 2008 · 46 posts · 0 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "**********":
    George W Bush:

    "Slumlord in training" :roll:

    I had to say that!! :goofy:

    :) o boy..

  • Real Estate Investor · San Diego , CA · Member since 2008 · 78 posts · 2 votes
    18y

    Tim said that I could use "yer". Yer two (Flipper and Anna) are having fun.

    My favorite Bushism is, "Drugs is a major problem in Amerika."

    Dwayne

    Wow--7pm. It's Miller time. :beer:

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    18y

    Nucular :drool:

  • Real Estate Investor · San Diego , CA · Member since 2008 · 78 posts · 2 votes
    18y

    Josh I have been busted on that one. DWAYNE IT'S NU--KLEE--UR.
    WOW! I could be President.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    Just thinking out loud here....George W with all his crappy english....how much money did he make in oil and how much have we made in REI? Connections don't hurt but it's still food for thought. ;-)

  • Real Estate Investor · The Northeast, NH · Member since 2008 · 46 posts · 0 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "Harley1986":
    Tim said that I could use "yer". Yer two (Flipper and Anna) are having fun.

    My favorite Bushism is, "Drugs is a major problem in Amerika."

    Dwayne

    Wow--7pm. It's Miller time. :beer:

    Yers truly will drink to that! :beer:

    That's it, from now on I use "yer" in these'um "internets" b/c imma prosper better like that...

    Dear fellow BP'ers: "I'm honored to be here with the eternal general of the United States, mi amigo, Alberto Gonzales."

    please don't forget that

    "I think that the vice president is a person reflecting a half-glass-full mentality."

    Ok ok, that's enough now come on people, carry on now...

  • Real Estate Investor · San Diego , CA · Member since 2008 · 78 posts · 2 votes
    18y

    Another from W:

    "In these hard economic times, it is hard to to throw food on yer family".

    God i'm going to miss him. :drool:

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "Harley1986":
    Hey Flipper Dude, You caught my point. So did a few others. I wasn't playing Miss Manners, as much as letting some people know that certain errors (not on the forum, but on their personal business website posted on this site) would stop me from being a client. I see hard hitters on this site say, "If you can't take a little criticism, you better not be in this business". So here you go (not you personally Flipper). I was seeing things on personal websites, that would make me run fast with money in hand.

    Like I told Josh, you could probably correct my posts all day, but such obvious and consistent errors on business websites are a :protest: :protest:

    Oh S*&^ NO SPELLCHECKER--I'M DOOMED

    DWAYNE

    Dwayne -
    I missed this post of yours and I think you're 100% dead on! I've been reading posts from people who are looking to do business with others, yet their use of the basic tenets of punctuation and capitalization are non-existent. I'd never get into business with someone who can't write, as I'd fear missing something MAJOR in a contract or otherwise.

    People do need to understand that this is a Business website. While we're not going to correct people's use of the language, unless it is blatently awful, many people will judge those people for their poor writing. This can be detrimental to you and your business.

    I guess I'm just saying that it is REALLY important that you look professional if you're trying to do business with others . . .

    Thanks.

  • Real Estate Investor · Bozeman, MT · Member since 2008 · 77 posts · 3 votes
    18y

    Joshua - great idea to re-emphasize the point this thread originated with. Having worked for years in a profession where you could be sued if one sentence was transcribed incorrectly (medicine), I am amazed every day what people are willing to post on the web in relation to their business.

    Most of us could stand to work on our skills in presenting the spoken and written word - here's a great, easy to read book that my favorite real estate mentor suggested in the past - "Eats, Shoots, & Leaves" by Lynn Truss. It's about as painless a way to improve your skills in this area as I've seen in a long time. Yes, it can seem a bit corny to read about grammar and language - but, I agree with Dwayne and others - people judge your competence (in many areas) by what and how you speak and write. Communicating well is also a critical part of successful negotiation.

    Nightingale Conant also has some great language skill and communication programs.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.