This is NOT meant to start conflict! The below is my personal experience only and I DO NOT expect others to agree! I would like to hear others views and opinions and I would REALLY like to know how others will react if THEIR CANDIDATE LOSES.
For ME, it has been a miserable eight years of dis comfort in MANY ways, in a political sense. I remember the days when I felt society was much less partisan and we could all get along for the most part. For people with STRONG beliefs, having a President that does not stand for your beliefs and values is a MAJOR drag!
I personally believe that Obama will include Republicans in his cabinet and be receptive to reaching across the lines. We ARE to divided as a nation and this could be a FRESH start?
How ANGRY will YOU be if your candidate looses? Can you contain this anger and commit to working on being open minded with others who have different belief systems?
Does anyone here believe that we could possibly work towards a more cooperative and civil Government and society as we move forward?
Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 218 votes
17y
I am just annoyed that I can not park in our primary business district here in Chicago just because someone wants an outdoor rally.
I guess it says something when they stop you from parking over a mile away. Guess they think some people have reason to take a shot at Barack.
Look, regardless of who is elected, let's not forget the real races going on. The people that actually MAKE THE LAWS are in Congress. And for the last 2 years, we have stagnated the economy, allow oil companies to get record profits, while unemployment rose.
We need people in Congress to work together, so that is going to be key for the next President to deal with.
I would caution that a more "cooperative" government where the government is controlling everything is not necessarily what this country was founded upon. Our government has grown since 9/11, and I feel our government needs to shrink and get back to what made this country great.
LESS NEW LAWS and more focus on actually following and enforcing the laws we already have.
Ok, time to get off my soap box, just a reminder to everyone..
Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2008 · 759 posts · 185 votes
17y
My reaction will be to simply continue to run our business with speed, agility and adaptability. I will change and work within whatever rules are placed upon us.
At the end of the day, there is no greater country in the world that can offer more options for normal people to create success. So to carry around negative energy would be counter-productive.
There is ALWAYS opportunity, it is just not always so easy to find!
Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
17y
Actually I think it will be a greater financial benefit to me if Obama wins. Not to my neighbors necessarily, but as a landlord and REO buyer - I will do just fine. He was entrenched in the policies that have created the fire sale real estate market we have now and if he wins I'll be looking at "4 more years" of great buying while he's busy paying back the political favors he owes to his cronies who got him there. A few of the things that concern me are Obama's connections to outright Marxists and Joe Biden's prediciton that we will suffer an attack as soon as Obama takes office. I'm sure we'll also get some more socialist, nationalized programs that will further make it harder for employee-minded people. There's always loopholes though. In the end, "socialists" are nothing but opportunists with a pretty speech.
I also won't mind too much as we really should have an actual conservative capitalist as the principle on the republican ticket. Maybe next round. After all, it took a Carter for the country to wake up and elect Reagan.
Probably time to buy some hi-cap magazines again. I remember how the brady bill shot up prices on those suckers by about 400%. Hi cap magazines for ARs and AKs would have been a good investment towards the end of the Bush 41 administration.
Real Estate Investor · Member since 2008 · 340 posts · 34 votes
17y
I am going to sit back, relax and allow the hard left in Washington to assume that they have some sort of super mandate and overreach like they did in 1993 and 1994.
Real Estate Investor · NC · Member since 2008 · 28 posts · 3 votes
17y
If the candidate I vote for loses, I don't see me doing anything except running my business as always. I do want McCain to win, but only time will tell.
The thing that gets me is that if a Republican mentions National Security he is labeled as trying to instill fear. The only reason it has brought about such a firestorm is because the Obama camp knows they do not have an answer to that. Even the most Socialistic leaders in Europe know how dangerous of a policy Obama has talked about.
As far as a bi-partisan cabinet, I believe it!! And I believe he will take public financing, that noone making under $300K ( I mean $250K, or $200K, or $150K) will pay more in taxes, that he didn't know what was being preached in his church, and that he didn't know Ayers that well after the 15 years they have been associated.
The guy can give a great speech. If he were to want to, he could drive Tony Robbins out of business as a motivator. But look at his record. He has never initiated anything that was bipartisan, and never been involved with something that was controversial. Voting present isn't voting. His own party has pointed out his flaws and the dangers all along.
Last, I don't trust any of them that tow the party line. That is one reason we are in the mess we are in now. A democrat will never call on a democrat to resign, confess, or shape up.
Just my 2 cents.
Real Estate Investor · Gainesville, FL · Member since 2008 · 296 posts · 7 votes
17y
Originally posted by **********:
Most will agree that we have made those that ere angry with us as a nation, 1000 times MORE ANGRY!
We NEED a President that will attempt to repair our international relations, NOT one that will be an iron fisted tyrant like BUSH!
When are people like you going to learn that these people are going to hate America....NO MATTER WHAT WE DO!
Do you honestly think that how religious fundamentalist groups view us should be high on our agenda? You know how we can make Islamic terrorist like us? Kill ourselves, that's about it. No one that we elect is going to make these people hate us less. Their 2,000 year old religion dictates how they should feel about us, not Obama, McCain, Bush, Kerry, etc.
If you care so much about what the rest of the world thinks about this country, maybe it's time for you to join them. Go take a trip to Iran and see if those are the kind of people you want to 'please'.
I really don't understand how it is the Republican party that is using 'fear tactics'. Right now I can find about 200 websites that have a sole purpose and goal of eliminating my country and my family from the face of the earth. There are groups all across the world who's main focus is killing you, and for some reason, the worst guy you can point your finger to is Bush.
Since you say things with so much certainty, why don't you outline some of the 'international relations' you would like to see repaired? Really, tell me who's relationship has been soured that you would like to see repaired. Venezuela? N. Korea? Iran? Russia? The Taliban? Come on man, which one of these is lacking and you would like to see better?
What would YOU do to make these relationships better? Do you think you can change these people's mind about how they feel about our country?
Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
17y
Originally posted by **********:
If YOUR party looses-How will YOU react?
I will get up each morning and continue to do what I do. I will make whatever changes I need to make to survive the darktimes we are entering. It will probably mean firing employees and restructuring my business to minimize any adverse impacts.
But, hey, we survived two world wars and Jimmy Carter, we can survive the socialist triumvirate of Pelosi-Reid-Obama.
Personally, I think this is a key difference between the left and the right. I can be opposed to a politician because of their policies without suffering any emotional distress because they don't share my beliefs and values.
I will look at the Obama Presidency the same way I did the Clinton one before the 1994 election. Something to be skeptical of and suspicious and one that may cause me to adjust my business model many times.
But, as for strong feelings sorry, not gonna happen. He will be nothing more than one in a succession of Presidents and at most will be there 8 years, but I suspect he is much more like Carter than FDR and will be gone in 4.
We are not too divided as a nation. If we were monolithic we would be boring and weak like France.
Judging by his history, Obama is unlikely to include Republicans in anything and if the Senate has 60 or more dems there is no reason for him to do it.
See, in a rather selfish way, I am secretly giggling with joy over the left having control of the government. But, I am going to keep the reasons to myself at least on a public site this for now. My only real regret is I do expect a lot of SCOTUS appointments and don't like the thought of the socialist types Obama will appoint. But, we will survive it, we always have.
These are two different things here. First, I doubt you are going to see the mentally unstable anger from the right like we have seen from the left over the last eight years. I have a brother-in-law who foams at the mouth when he talks about Bush and how they are going to impeach him after the election (not gonna happen) and try him for war crimes after Obama is in office (again, just won't happen) and how if McCain wins the draft is coming back. When in fact, Obama is the only candidate who has proposed anything even remotely resembling a draft.
But, the point is. I and those who lean to the right like me can separate the man from the policy. The left doesn't seem that have that level of mental maturity.
Case in point, when I met Bill Clinton in 1996 I found him engaging, witty and in all aspects would be a great member of a golf foursome, a poker or drinking buddy. I still don't agree with many of his views and policies but I would still play golf, poker or drink with him and shoot the breeze. How many on the left would say the same about Bush?
Interesting you should ask that since it does not even remotely agree with the plans Pelosi, Reid and Obama are laying.
Here is the thing, the left has screamed for the last eight years that those of us on the right are the problem. Well, now you are poised to take full control for at least the next two years. In all fairness, I think those of us on the right should step back and remove ourselves from the equation. That way you can show the American people how it is done, how much better things will be under your control, then in two years the American voters can have their say on how they think it is going.
So, how will I react when Obama wins? Pretty much like always because I know no matter what he would like to do, we are not going to slide into a dictatorship in the next eight years.
Real Estate Investor · Bartlett, IL · Member since 2008 · 45 posts · 0 votes
17y
How will I react?
Either way, the economy will be bad for a few years.... it's part of the larger cycle....
If my guy loses Biden was just talking about pushing that BK CH13 crap through that will allow judges to modify loans and reduce principal. This will cause lenders to react, tighten credit, increase foreclosures, and depress the market further.
On the one hand, I have a guy that will be better for the country. On the other hand, I have a guy that will unintentionally help my business by damaging real estate values.
Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
17y
Originally posted by **********:
By the way, McCain is on T.V. right NOW saying "we will be safer" with him as President! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! Geeez!
Let's unite, let's not argue and divide!
That is not fear mongering. I believe it is a true statement for at least the first year Obama is in office.
Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
17y
I disagree Taz. I believe it to be exactly that, Fear mongering. The republican party has been doing it for years. How do you think George W won. Aside from cheating in FL, it was from imposing fear on the public that Gore would be much worse and all us Republican suckers fell for it, at least most of us did.
I am a Republican, so this is not a left sided statement, but a fair and middle of the road position.
"If YOUR party loses-How will YOU react?"
My party has been losing for years now, just look at what Bush has accomplished! I will continue to make the best of it, as that is all that is in my power. I will also vote independent because I will not vote for either of the 2 main candidates.
Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
17y
Originally posted by Will Barnard:
I disagree Taz. I believe it to be exactly that, Fear mongering. The republican party has been doing it for years. How do you think George W won. Aside from cheating in FL, it was from imposing fear on the public that Gore would be much worse and all us Republican suckers fell for it, at least most of us did.
There was no cheating in Florida all SCOTUS did was affirm there is no "right to vote" in a Presidential election and the state of Florida could use any method it wanted to elect the electors and conduct any recounts they wanted but it had to be consistent STATE WIDE. The Florida legislature could have met in special emergency session and passed a bill to settle it with a coin toss had they wanted to do it that way.
Real Estate Consultant · Member since 2008 · 792 posts · 30 votes
17y
On the one hand, I have a guy that will be better for the country. On the other hand, I have a guy that will unintentionally help my business by damaging real estate values.
Real Estate Consultant · Member since 2008 · 792 posts · 30 votes
17y
REI - buying for cashflow. Lower values will help provide more cashflow properties.
How about you?
Short Sales. You read my mind though.
It's a double edged sword. I think property values are going down no matter what, but the flood of printed public money will be a boom for my business.
Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
17y
Originally posted by David Peeples:
REI - buying for cashflow. Lower values will help provide more cashflow properties.
How about you?
Short Sales. You read my mind though.
It's a double edged sword. I think property values are going down no matter what, but the flood of printed public money will be a boom for my business.
David,
Curious - what are your thoughts into picking up a little pre-election silver to later use to buy more property?
Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
17y
My candidate will lose, no matter how you look at it. I would prefer Ron Paul, but I'm going to VERY RELUCTANTLY vote for McCain because I simply think that Obama will destroy the country. His true agenda is a socialist agenda, as in his latest slip that he will bankrupt the coal industry. On the other, I think that it might be good to have Obama because the complete collapse of the country will be the only way to start over. Obama along with Pelosi and Reid can undoubtedly destroy the country in the fastest possible timeframe, so that will lessen the time until we can start over.
So, my candidate will not win, regardless of who wins. I can't force myself to vote for destruction, but I will be happy if Obama is elected so that the destruction can begin immediately!