"Operation Clean Sweep"

"Operation Clean Sweep"

Banker · Bohemia, NY · Member since 2008 · 12 posts · 0 votes

I'm new to this forum, but hope to add value since my area of expertise (credit repair) benefits real estate investors and seems to be neglected in this community.

On October 23rd, the Federal Trade Commission and 24 state agencies today announced a crackdown on 33 operations that deceptively claim they can remove negative information from consumers' credit reports, even if that information is accurate and timely. Click here for the full article.

I'm curious to know your position on credit repair. Do you believe in it's benefits? Do you believe it's legal? What experiences have you had? Do you use it in your business? How?

0Reply
73 views

49 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Caitlyn Coyle:
    Do you have a credible citation for this belief? How would an actuarial approach be better?


    Bill Fair, an engineer and Earl Isaac, a mathematician founded a consulting firm in 1956 named mundanely enough, the Fair Isaac Corp. They provided consulting services to businesses in risk assessment and risk management. They are still primarily a management consulting company with about 4000 employees spread all over the world.

    In 1977 they presented a joint paper describing a statistical methodology in risk assessment of lending to a particular consumer based on how the credit history of that consumer compared to the statistical norms of a large pool of consumer data in several key areas. That paper led to their FICO risk assessment model and algorithm.

    The FICO is an actuarial model.
  • CA · Member since 2008 · 277 posts · 11 votes
    17y


    For sure you haven't worked in the trenches analyzing credit reports and listening to the stories behind them. Unless every consumer is lying, some of their stories are hair-raising.



    You found a lender on the Moon?



    Sounds like you perceive the CRAs (credit reporting agencies) to be quasi-governmental agencies, rather than a collection of for-profit entities whose sole purpose is to provide a clearinghouse for tattling on consumers. And just how much public resources would you devote to the despicable "crime" of disputing what you believe to be an invalid entry? Or are you going to organize a Department of Thought Police, too?

    I recently tried to help a consumer clear derogs from her credit report that were the result of identity theft. The person who stole her identity was convicted and was paying monthly restitution (repayment of credit cards he used illegally), yet after a year of laborious effort, she could not get two of her creditors to recognize the court paperwork she presented as proof that her identity was stolen and that was the reason for some lates. Because her FICO score was < 680, she had to get an FHA loan, with its attendant mandatory mortgage insurance, rather than a conforming loan, even though she would ideally have put 20% down to avoid mortgage insurance.

    Another woman, intending to be out of town when her mortgage payment was due, used an online system (for the first time) to make her mortgage payment while she was gone. Apparently, she did something procedurally wrong and didn't "confirm" the instructions. When she returned, she learned that the payment wasn't made and she received a "recent 30 day late," the kiss o' death to a refinance lender. It took two months to get her behemoth lender to determine, by going into the bowels of its online system, that she had, in fact, visited the site and attempted to put a pre-payment instruction in place. It took another two months for the CRAs to apply the delete letter to her account, thereby positively impacting her score--by which time rates had climbed.

    It was only recently, after I spent a decade battling the negative implications of invalid medical collections, that Fair Isaac recognized the intractable nature of medical collections, and adjusted its filters accordingly.

    Such FICO anecdotes go on and on. Sorry, but FICO is all screwed up. While it's true that most consumers deserve their score, those who don't are unfairly and grossly penalized, resulting in a scoring system that's good for nothing.

    Credit restoration companies, on the other hand, treat anyone with money to pay them as if all the consumer's derogs are invalid, resulting in what you call gaming the system. The practical reality is there's no other way to treat them.



    Whether you have 1 valid derog and 1 invalid derog or you have 1 invalid derog, the score is the same. In other words, you've got to contest--and successfully remove--them all to get the score to move. This means that the person with two collection accounts--one valid and one invalid--has no incentive to pay either one. Even after you pay them, the score won't move for about two years. That's right, a paid collection account--valid or not--is the same as an unpaid collection account where the score is concerned.

    Consumer: "I'm not paying $966 for something I don't owe!"

    Loan officer: "Well, you've got to decide what hill you want to die on. Do you want to stand on principle and not get a loan, or do you want to pay the $966 and buy a home? Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy?"

    Don't you find that a bit twisted?




  • Banker · Bohemia, NY · Member since 2008 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    Paying off a collection is not the same as an unpaid collection. The old FICO scoring model was flawed in that it scored making a payment as an update to a derogatory tradeline. The new FICO08 model fixed that glitch.

    It been my experience that removing one of 2 collections can have a significant impact on boosting your credit score.

    As to how a credit repair service treats derogs... the FCRA states that the lender or collection agency must delete any item they cannot verify. I can't speak for all credit repair services, but 80% of what my office does is attempt to verify with the creditors/collection agencies.

    You'd be surprised at how often they fail to accurately document your history. That's probably why my results are so hard to believe.

  • CA · Member since 2008 · 277 posts · 11 votes
    17y

    It has taken a decade or longer for Fair Isaac to fix its significant FICO glitches, resulting in, cumulatively, millions of dollars of unmerited higher interest rates for those caught in the vise of FICO glitches.

    Yes, we know that nearly all successful credit repair is accomplished through "failure to verify." Verification of credit data sure keeps creditors busy, resulting in higher costs to all consumers. Lovely.

  • Banker · Bohemia, NY · Member since 2008 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    Lol. Yes, but the failure to verify is normally due to disputes submitted to the credit bureaus, which they actually make a profit on, but the way.

    I speak directly with the creditor or collection agency.

    Your tone implies you're throwing the blame on companies like mine for "higher costs". Please, be serious.

    You were just complaining a few threads ago how it took weeks, months, and years to remove inaccurate items from a credit report. Now you imply they're so busy handling complaints and disputes that they're forced to raise their fees.

    So which is it? If they're busy handling disputes, why'd it take you so long?

    I've spent the past 2 years studying the business models of major lending institutions, collection agencies, and the 3 CRAs. I know for a fact they spend their money trying to figure out how to either profit from disputes or avoid dealing with them entirely.

    Here's how to the CRA's make money on your disputes.

  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Caitlyn Coyle:
    For sure you haven't worked in the trenches analyzing credit reports and listening to the stories behind them.

    For sure, you have a habit of assuming facts not in evidence.


    Nope, right here on earth. See comment above.


    Nope, but unlike you, apparently, I know fraud is not always a crime against a government agency.


    Now you are just being silly.

    I recently tried to help a consumer clear derogs from her credit report that were the result of identity theft. The person who stole her identity was convicted and was paying monthly restitution (repayment of credit cards he used illegally), yet after a year of laborious effort, she could not get two of her creditors to recognize the court paperwork she presented as proof that her identity was stolen and that was the reason for some lates. Because her FICO score was < 680, she had to get an FHA loan, with its attendant mandatory mortgage insurance, rather than a conforming loan, even though she would ideally have put 20% down to avoid mortgage insurance.

    Another woman, intending to be out of town when her mortgage payment was due, used an online system (for the first time) to make her mortgage payment while she was gone. Apparently, she did something procedurally wrong and didn't "confirm" the instructions. When she returned, she learned that the payment wasn't made and she received a "recent 30 day late," the kiss o' death to a refinance lender. It took two months to get her behemoth lender to determine, by going into the bowels of its online system, that she had, in fact, visited the site and attempted to put a pre-payment instruction in place. It took another two months for the CRAs to apply the delete letter to her account, thereby positively impacting her score--by which time rates had climbed.

    It was only recently, after I spent a decade battling the negative implications of invalid medical collections, that Fair Isaac recognized the intractable nature of medical collections, and adjusted its filters accordingly.


    None of those examples have anything to do with gaming the system. Remember, I said invalid items should be challenged.


    You seem incapable of separating the model from the data. Don't feel bad, it is a common situation. The data in the credit files is all screwed up. Therefore, anything depending solely on that data is going to have problems.


    Really?


    That is absolutely not true. Having multiple accounts in collection is worse than having one. Two is worse than one, three is worse than two. Obviously, there comes a time when the incremental impact of "just one more" approaches zero but the example you are giving while emotionally appealing, is quite bogus.

    Consumer: "I'm not paying $966 for something I don't owe!"
    Loan officer: "Well, you've got to decide what hill you want to die on. Do you want to stand on principle and not get a loan, or do you want to pay the $966 and buy a home? Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy?"

    Don't you find that a bit twisted?


    Yes, because the loan officer is full of $h|t when they say that. That is exactly what I was referring to earlier. That is why we manually underwrite and why I use a lender, a big one, btw, for my personal mortgages who manually underwrite my loans.

    Bottom line?

    Do not take on more debt than you can handle.
    Pay your bills on time, every time, like you agreed to do when you signed the contracts.
    Watch your credit file for invalid and incorrect information and challenge it when it appears.
    Stop whining about the valid stuff showing you have not lived up to your credit obligations in the past.

    Pretty simple, really.
  • CA · Member since 2008 · 277 posts · 11 votes
    17y

    Taz, have you ever assisted a consumer in disputing a valid derog? On a scale of 1 to 10--1 being easy, 10 being difficult--how did that go for you, generally?

    Anyway...responding to Mr. Diez:



    I meant that merchants must expense an entire department to handle consumer disputes--mostly invalid--via the CRAs that come to them via firms like yours. The result is higher costs for everyone.

    Yes, that's right...the CRAs are so busy validating invalid disputes that it takes longer to rectify valid disputes. Thus, the consumer with a valid dispute cannot get their valid disputes rectified in a timely way.

    This situation has spawned "rapid rescore"--a service designed to "deputize" the sub-CRAs to impact consumer credit at the bureau level so that one's FICO score can be restored sooner rather than later. Cost? Typically $25 per trade line per bureau. $75 to get to the truth sooner rather than later!

    If you, the owner of a credit repair company, manually dispute or negotiate only that which is valid, I think that's fine. It's a time-consuming process and there's nothing wrong with paying someone else a fee to do that work. But that's not what credit repair companies do. They blanket dispute every item and hope that enough derogs fall off via "failure to verify" that the score is positively impacted.

    Or, as Taz calls it, "gaming the system."

    BTW, Taz, I heartily agree with your summation. If every citizen of this country lived like that, we wouldn't be in the mess we're in. Welcome to Nirvana.

  • Banker · Bohemia, NY · Member since 2008 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    I prefer to believe that Taz was referring to the purchasing of Authorized User accounts to establish credit history where there was none, but he can elaborate.

    The CRA's don't VALIDATE anything. The FCRA stipulates they must VERIFY with the creditor. They interpret VERIFY to mean ask politely if the information they submitted is what they intended to submit.

    There is NO investigation. That's why I'm so successful. I deal with the source and force them to investigate and VALIDATE.

  • CA · Member since 2008 · 277 posts · 11 votes
    17y

    That's what I said: If one manually confronts each merchant and, citing the Fair Credit Reporting Act, requests that they VERIFY the basis for an invalid derog, I don't see anything wrong with that. I suspect, however, that you utilize software available to anyone willing to pay for it to blitz the merchants with disputes--valid and invalid--in the hope that some of them will simply not respond within FCRA's statutory time limit, thereby gaming the system.

  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Brian Diez:
    I prefer to believe that Taz was referring to the purchasing of Authorized User accounts to establish credit history where there was none, but he can elaborate.

    That is one way the system is gamed. Flooding the CRAs with bogus claims in the hopes they can't/don't/won't verify within the time allowed by law is also gaming the system.


    Just because people and politicians want the CRAs to be arbitrators of what is factually correct, it just won't ever happen. The CRAs are aggregators of data. They are 100% dependent upon those reporting the data to report accurate data.


    This is where I find "credit repair" types so disgusting. You are the reason no investigations take place because you are flooding the CRAs AND their customers with bogus claims that are not worth the time and effort needed to investigate.

    In a very real sense, as a "credit repair" consultant, service, whatever you want to call yourself, you are much more a part of the problem than the solution.

  • CA · Member since 2008 · 277 posts · 11 votes
    17y

    I have to defend Mr. Diez, but only a little. He has undoubtedly met folks with valid disputes who have worn themselves out trying to get them resolved. Because the FICO scoring system is so riddled with glitches, it becomes a target for gaming, in which Mr. Diez enthusiastically engages because it's also profitable. But the bottom line is, if FICO was constructed better, there would be no system to game.

    BTW, I've NEVER known a credit repair company that did anything for a consumer that he or she couldn't do for themselves for the cost of a stamp. Here, for example, is a guide that anyone can follow, and achieve the same results that Mr. Diez claims.

    FICO 850: Achieving Perfect Credit

    No matter which way you go--DIY or credit repair company--disputing takes time.

    This board is probably not a good source of business, Mr. Diez. The vast majority of posters here are conservative, their own credit is impeccable (to hear them tell it) and they all think (rightly) everyone else should pay their bills on time, too.

  • Banker · Bohemia, NY · Member since 2008 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    How dare I defend a consumer's rights? Is that what you're saying?

    Again, I deal directly with the source. Less than 20% of what I do is with the CRAs.

    I generally only contact them when I have PROOF. I am not a dispute mill.

    As I stated earlier, I have spent 2 years learning the system. I interviewed former executives from the CRAs, major lenders, and collection agencies.

    I'm on another level entirely.

    I am pointing out subtle intricacies in the law which prevent people like you from getting results.

    The whole 80-90% of credit reports having errors isn't sinking in with you. You talk to me, not as someone you can ask advice from, but as an adversary.

    That's all fine and good until the day comes when your file is mixed or a lender reports inaccurately. If not you, then someone you care about.

    Maybe the damage is minor. Then again, maybe it costs you a home or worse. I hope it's the former.

    It's not hypothetical. It's inevitable.

  • CA · Member since 2008 · 277 posts · 11 votes
    17y


    I sure agree with this. I've seen it many, many times, which is why I hate FICO scoring.

    From "FICO 850: Achieving Perfect Credit"

    Legal vs. Moral vs. Fair - I'm not going to try to convince anyone of the inherent fairness of these tactics, because I'll tell you right up front: These tactics just aren't fair, and here's why.

    Most consumers aren't educated to how credit scores are derived, and the purveyor of the secret FICO formulae, the mysterious Fair, Isaac & Company (NYSE: FIC), likes it that way. So, by definition, the mere act of reading this seminar puts you at a horribly unfair advantage with respect to the hordes that are terribly blind.

    Even worse, those FICO scores radically--or should I say, RADICALLY, in all caps--impact how much one pays for home mortgages, car loans, credit card interest, and even insurance premiums, among other things. Some potential employers, in fact, routinely pull credit reports in an effort to better judge the character of their applicants. What's worse is that not everyone agrees--certainly not all psychologists, a group I can dare to represent--that a FICO score provides a valid measure of one's personal character. The reason: horrible stuff can happen to otherwise moral people, all of which can completely trash a heretofore decades-old pristine payment history--accidents, uncooperative health insurance adjusters, sudden unemployment, expensive litigation, divorce with unsatisfactory terms, personal tragedies of all kinds, etc.

    Consider this: Credit scores, and the credit reports that underlie them, have become a kind of "Human Worth Quotient" rather than simply a flexible credit score. For example, a potential employer disqualified a divorced woman, on the basis of her credit score, even though her runaway husband left her with huge debts beyond her means. Is this moral? It may not be moral, but it's legal. And it will be legal for the full seven years it takes for those correct but negative tradelines to naturally age off of her report. Oops, I should say, "age off of her reports"--because if she wants to confront this, she'll need to wrangle with three (not just one) sometimes uncooperative private companies who compile and sell those reports about her. Again, is this fair or moral? Perhaps not, depending upon your personal point of view, but one thing's certain: It's definitely legal.

    Those of you who are reading this seminar certainly have an unfair advantage. Likewise, those of you who want to play hardball--with the ultimate goal of three clean credit bureau reports, irrespective of what's there now--will likewise enjoy an unfair advantage when armed with the guerilla tactics described here. But you'll be legal. Some of these techniques are delineated by Federal statute; in fact, and I'll say so when that's the case.

    So it comes down to this: If you knew you could raise your FICO scores by 200 points and do it by breaking no laws, would you do so if you knew you weren't being fair to other consumers? I can't answer that for you. I will say that these private companies--i.e., the credit reporting agencies, some of the companies that use the resultant credit scores, as well as certain abusive collection agencies--are treating consumers unfairly every single day and don't seem to worry much about it at all. Is that true of all companies and in all cases? Of course not. Credit scoring allows colorblind loan qualifications (which is, I would contend, far superior to the pre-1971 system where white men--almost exclusively--made lending decisions in accordance with their subjective whims). My contention, however, is that the present system, in which these incredibly critical scoring formulas are kept secret and facilitated by three accident-prone privately-held credit reporting companies, is inherently unfair, inconvenient and often immoral. They're all legal, though.

    Likewise, my personal advice--within this context but certainly NOT within all areas of your life--is to be like these companies. Adopt their modus operandi: Be concerned only with what's legal. Do what you can to improve your reified, unfair credit scores. The system needs to be fixed, in my opinion, but until it is, this remains unfortunately true: Less informed consumers must simply be left to fend for themselves.

  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Caitlyn Coyle:
    I sure agree with this. I've seen it many, many times, which is why I hate FICO scoring.


    You keep mixing your metaphors. FICO is not responsible for nor the cause of the data being messed up.
  • CA · Member since 2008 · 277 posts · 11 votes
    17y

    I don't think so. It's garbage in/garbage out at the bureaus. The "garbage producers"--merchants, collection agencies, etc.--are the source of the garbage when it occurs. But there's a lot wrong with FICO's scoring algorithm itself that it cannot make the distinctions necessary to present an accurate score.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Caitlyn Coyle:


    Do you have a credible citation for this belief? How would an actuarial approach be better?


    What? Why not read my post Caitlyn. I merely said interesting, not better or worse.

    It's interesting because now Fair Isaac's employs actuaries to improve the model.

  • CA · Member since 2008 · 277 posts · 11 votes
    17y

    Tim, I was merely asking if you somehow found a comprehensive article or website that discusses FICO scoring. I like to read the root resource, don't you?

  • Battle Creek, MI · Member since 2008 · 87 posts · 11 votes
    17y

    Anyone who has a little spare time and internet access can fix their own credit, learn excellent credit habits, and gather alot of practical info about different creditors.

    www.creditboards.com is a great resource. I have no connection to this site, but visit for a few minutes each day and will say that it has had a large impact on my quality of life.

    As for gaming the system(creditors), doesn't the system spend a whole lot of money gaming us?

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Caitlyn Coyle:
    Tim, I was merely asking if you somehow found a comprehensive article or website that discusses FICO scoring. I like to read the root resource, don't you?


    I've studied language and neurolinguistic programming and am cognizant of implied semantics when a person uses trigger words such as "credible" and "belief" - especially when it's a phrase she has repeated in other threads near verbatim. Might I suggest that next time you want to "merely ask" you start by "merely asking". "Merely asking" has a much more congenial tone to it that comes off as far less passive agressive. Or not - and stick to outright challenging me. I can take either without taking them personally; just be consistent.

    Now on to topic. I have to say...as this discussion progresses and I delve deeper into FICO....I'm finding my position changing from my earlier contention (of what a day or two ago?) that FICO was merely a tool. I think Taz may be on to something that FICO may be inherently flawed, if not in nature than perhaps in use. I'm not sure I agree on his contention of FICO as an actuarial model as yet, though it is now used by actuaries to increase premiums as well. Not sure about this - again it's merely interesting. You can say these views are biased as they are put out by the Casualty Actuarial Society but it's an interesting take on the implementation of credit scoring models:

    http://www.casact.org/media/index.cfm?fa=viewArticle&articleID=752&CFID=2206791&CFTOKEN=69781469
  • CA · Member since 2008 · 277 posts · 11 votes
    17y

    Tim, you have formed a belief--an impression, if you will--have you not? From what? And anything you post ought to be credible, don't you think? Anyway, please don't lecture me--itself passive agressive, in my opinion--on how to make friends on a discussion board. In any event, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

    Back on topic...I'm friends of many years with an economist who was instrumental in bringing "risk based pricing" (RBP) to the mortgage industry through his company, GHR Systems.

    http://www.mtgprofessor.com/about_the_professor.htm

    What Mortgage Niche Are You In?

    Jack and I often discussed how FICO scoring integrates with RBP. FICO scoring, long used in the car finance industry, credit cards, etc., only relatively recently came to be used, along with RBP, in the mortgage industry. They blended together at about the same time. I can't remember when Fannie/Freddie announced they would no longer purchase loans that didn't include a FICO score, but I remember it caused a big brouhaha in the industry, for precisely the reason that now explanations for the contents of the consumer's credit report would be irrelevant. Now that the weakness of FICO scoring has so crushingly been revealed, I suspect underwriters will go back to manually analyzing credit reports, as they do now for FHA loans when the score is below 580, where background for existing derogs can be explained by (hopefully) an intelligent, thinking human to another intelligent, thinking human.



  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
    17y

    I am by no means an actuarial and wouldn't want to be one. We do use one on a semi-regular basis as we adjust our risk models for investment evaluation. They are absolutely worth every single penny they cost.

    The one we use also has an actual personality which is rare in that profession. My interest and curiosity in the FICO as a risk assessment model was sparked by conversations over adult beverages with the actuarial we use on a contract basis.

    As we first talked about it, I was struck by the absolute fact the model is totally devoid of any attempt at addressing human behavior. Hence, my point about it being flawed because the data it relies upon is not reliable and easily gamed.

    Some of the other things our actuarial mentioned about the FICO model is it fails to look at how the borrower evaluates and adjusts to risk. One big area is in the down payment.

    Sure, intuitively, everyone knows the more a borrower puts down the less likely they are to default. But, the models FICO built for all lenders never took that into account even in a subjective manner.

    In other words, a more accurate model would adjust the FICO based on the proposed down payment. Put 20% down and your score goes up x points, for example.

    Another big area is as I mentioned before, since the FICO became all important in the financial lives of borrowers, some figured out ways to alter the data to provide an inaccurate picture of their financial history. That is what I meant by "gaming the system".

    It also fails to address any macro economic issues like the health of the local economy.

    The list of short comings is long and no doubt some will be addressed over time. But, FICO suffers the ultimate same failing as any other statistical gating model. It cannot overcome chaotic events and behavior.

    Granted, many of the things it does not address could not be addressed easily or quickly, like economic conditions. But, that does not negate the problems with the model.

  • CA · Member since 2008 · 277 posts · 11 votes
    17y

    I think when one's down payment melts away from a market downturn, having made a large down payment doesn't matter anymore. I talk to borrowers every day who express their utter despair that there's no reason to carry on because the market took it all away.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Taz:
    The one we use also has an actual personality which is rare in that profession. My interest and curiosity in the FICO as a risk assessment model was sparked by conversations over adult beverages with the actuarial we use on a contract basis.

    As we first talked about it, I was struck by the absolute fact the model is totally devoid of any attempt at addressing human behavior. Hence, my point about it being flawed because the data it relies upon is not reliable and easily gamed.

    Some of the other things our actuarial mentioned about the FICO model is it fails to look at how the borrower evaluates and adjusts to risk. One big area is in the down payment.

    Sure, intuitively, everyone knows the more a borrower puts down the less likely they are to default. But, the models FICO built for all lenders never took that into account even in a subjective manner.


    Lol...I'll never forget an accountant in Boston's comment on actuaries - "Actuaries are the people who found accounting just a bit too exciting". When I first graduated from college I worked with the actuarial department at Liberty Mutual. Brilliant people though yes a bit dry at times. I remember one time I was booking an after hours party and wanted an opinion on what would be more fun. The VP just commented, "It doesn't matter what you do, we're all math nerds."

    Anyway, you are right about the problem with FICO, which is why an actuary is an actuary and not a mathemetician or an economist (even though they have the math background) and they get the concept of combining human behavior with mathematical models to determine actual risk and it's been generally working since the late 1700s. This is why I was so surprised when this thread was started to learn that actuaries didn't develop a risk assessment model that is this widely used and this key to our economy. I don't know - maybe it was just good marketing on Fair Isaac's part that sold the model.

    Tim
  • CA · Member since 2008 · 277 posts · 11 votes
    17y

    I attended a luncheon where a statistical scientist from Fair Isaac made a presentation about FICO and how it was going to transform the industry. After a while, it was clear that even HE didn't know what he was talking about. He sounded about like this.

    Get the hook!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.