Prepping for Cap and Trade effects

Prepping for Cap and Trade effects

Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Alright,
As wrong as it is, it's a reality. No use pissing and moaning - we're going to have to deal with it. What exactly does it mean for us and what exactly are we going to have to do? I've moved my portfolio away from anything where I cover utilities anyway. Nevertheless, all commodities will raise in price because of this in the face of massive amounts of printed money...

Is it time to re-examine certain commodities markets to protect the value of dollars today because of the inevitable increased costs of getting it out of the ground?

Tim

0Reply
96 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
17y

Well since this is now moving to the Senate you should contact your Senators and let them know how you feel about it.

In person - on the phone - in emails - through US post office.

To their state office - their local office - their DC office.

This bill will not pass in its present form in the Senate so it will be changed and go to committee and then might be voted on again so you need do the same for your house members.

Once the final bill is out and you know what your dealing with you can make plans - till then - make your opinion known (not just here - but where it counts - in DC).

See this reply in the discussion

52 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:

    Do you honestly believe that?


    No, I don't.

    It was a big mistake on my part saying that "all" pollution was man-made. As you pointed out, this is blatantly incorrect.

    What I should have said is that a non-negligible percentage of pollution is man-made (if you disagree, fly into LAX or Tokyo at dusk), and decreasing the amount of pollution in the air is a good thing.


    Fair enough. I agree with you on localized pollution. This is a state and county issue, not a federal one. The natural world is full of natural barriers and cleaners that do a good job of keeping pollution local. This is why you can still drink straight out of the lake in the Boundary Waters.

    Interesting that Nancy Pelosi pushed through this legislation when we both agree that LA is a horrible example to the world of air quality.

  • Real Estate Investor · North Central Arkansas · Member since 2009 · 509 posts · 178 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    Originally posted by Jeff And Cheray Warner:
    The fact is this planet has and always will do whatever it wants and there is NOTHING we can do about it. If the earth wants to get HOT, charging higher taxes and taking junk cars off the road is not going to do anything.


    Right, there is likely nothing we can do about the planet heating or cooling.

    But, (hopefully) you'll agree that all the pollution is man-made, and (perhaps) you'll agree that it would be nice if our kids could live in a world with a bit less of that crap.



    I do want a cleaner place for my kids, that's why I moved to Oregon (and because I like to catch Salmon and Steelhead).

    I was late to reply to this post so I won't address the whole thing (you already corrected yourself on pollution)

    Jeff

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:

    It is true and the reason I started the thread. Personally I know exactly what I'm going to do. Wanted to see what other folks have in mind though.


    The biggest recommendation I have (at least the biggest impact on my business so far) is to hire both the absolute best CPA and the best tax strategist you can find with expertise in your specific business model.

    Between a top notch CPA and tax strategist, you may spend $10-15K per year, but if you own a full-time business, you'll likely save that amount many times over...

  • Real Estate Investor · ten mile, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 374 votes
    17y

    Decreasing the amount of pollution in the air is a good thing.

    The rain does that. Yet the greenhouse gasses are mostly water and cloud related. How does the two confllicting things get by within the same "program"

    The pollution of LAX are during stagnant days. We only need air movement to get rid of it.

    When air moves and how it moves or when it rains can not be controlled by man. So lets tax ourselves to give ourselves or our children something we can not have any affect upon.

    Now if you want to tax those business that have been proven to introduce an unhealthy substance into the water or land, then go ahead, but DO NOT TAX me or my business for something someone else did.

    That is the basic affect of cap and trade is to tax everyone for everything they can think of just because they can not make enough to pay for all their programs during a recession such as this.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:

    Interesting that Nancy Pelosi pushed through this legislation when we both agree that LA is a horrible example to the world of air quality.


    My guess is that we'd be in complete agreement on what we think of Nancy Pelosi... :D

    And just to reiterate on this bill (as it sounds like my original comments were lost in the noise), I think it's horrible...and while I have no problem (again, in theory) with a single party controlling congress, the senate and the white house, it's a perfect example of the crap that can happen in that situation. This was partisan politics at its worst.

    Most disappointingly, while I've been trying to withhold criticism and give Obama leeway to do the right things, I think he single-handedly broke about three or four campaign promises on this bill alone...

  • Real Estate Investor · North Central Arkansas · Member since 2009 · 509 posts · 178 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:

    Interesting that Nancy Pelosi pushed through this legislation when we both agree that LA is a horrible example to the world of air quality.


    My guess is that we'd be in complete agreement on what we think of Nancy Pelosi... :D

    And just to reiterate on this bill (as it sounds like my original comments were lost in the noise), I think it's horrible...and while I have no problem (again, in theory) with a single party controlling congress, the senate and the white house, it's a perfect example of the crap that can happen in that situation. This was partisan politics at its worst.

    Most disappointingly, while I've been trying to withhold criticism and give Obama leeway to do the right things, I think he single-handedly broke about three or four campaign promises on this bill alone...


    Why withhold criticism? We're just getting started with Obama breaking promises.

    Jeff
  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y


    That is the home weatherization program. There was $5 BILLION dollars in the stimulus bill for this weatherization, but I now believe that was just a joke like the rest of the stimulus. FIVE BILLION DOLLARS would have been enough to weatherize a lot of low income housing and I'm not seeing one bit of difference in the program before and after the stimulus.

    The first thing we need to determine before we fix global warming is whether the planet is even warming. I think the evidence suggests that it is not AND THE GOVERNMENT KNOWS THAT! The planet just came out of a mini-ice age in the mid to late 1800's. Naturally, it has warmed from the abnormally low temperatures of the mini-ice age. However, it's only gone up a fraction of one degree in the past 100 years. Furthermore, any warming that was occurring stopped more than 10 years ago. THAT is why they changed the name to Climate Change and why The Chosen One is trying to ram this Cap and Trade Bill through!!! They know that the people are finally waking up to the reality that Global Warming is a big scam. If The Chosen One doesn't move fast, the sheeple in the US will wake up enough to understand that Global Warming is just a money grab! And who is collecting the global warming money - Al Gore, Nancy Pelosi, and other wacko leftists all own or are involved with companies that will enrich themselves via cap and trade! IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!

    Mike

  • Real Estate Investor · North Central Arkansas · Member since 2009 · 509 posts · 178 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by MikeOH:


    That is the home weatherization program. There was $5 BILLION dollars in the stimulus bill for this weatherization, but I now believe that was just a joke like the rest of the stimulus. FIVE BILLION DOLLARS would have been enough to weatherize a lot of low income housing and I'm not seeing one bit of difference in the program before and after the stimulus.

    The first thing we need to determine before we fix global warming is whether the planet is even warming. I think the evidence suggests that it is not AND THE GOVERNMENT KNOWS THAT! The planet just came out of a mini-ice age in the mid to late 1800's. Naturally, it has warmed from the abnormally low temperatures of the mini-ice age. However, it's only gone up a fraction of one degree in the past 100 years. Furthermore, any warming that was occurring stopped more than 10 years ago. THAT is why they changed the name to Climate Change and why The Chosen One is trying to ram this Cap and Trade Bill through!!! They know that the people are finally waking up to the reality that Global Warming is a big scam. If The Chosen One doesn't move fast, the sheeple in the US will wake up enough to understand that Global Warming is just a money grab! And who is collecting the global warming money - Al Gore, Nancy Pelosi, and other wacko leftists all own or are involved with companies that will enrich themselves via cap and trade! IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!

    Mike



    You got that right, it's all about money (and votes). I think another reason they're moving so fast Mike is because come election time the liberals may not be a majority which obviously would derail their plans.

    Jeff

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by MikeOH:
    And who is collecting the global warming money - Al Gore, Nancy Pelosi, and other wacko leftists all own or are involved with companies that will enrich themselves via cap and trade! IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!


    Absolutely. We've been putting up with this for 8 years now -- first with Bush and his cronies stealing billions under the guise of Iraq and now the current administration doing it with climate change...

    Ron Paul in 2012 anyone?

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    Originally posted by MikeOH:
    And who is collecting the global warming money - Al Gore, Nancy Pelosi, and other wacko leftists all own or are involved with companies that will enrich themselves via cap and trade! IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!


    Absolutely. We've been putting up with this for 8 years now -- first with Bush and his cronies stealing billions under the guise of Iraq and now the current administration doing it with climate change...

    Ron Paul in 2012 anyone?



    He's got my vote.
  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    17y

    Like most of us, I'm praying this thing doesn't get passed by the senate, and I'll be contacting my representatives.
    I've been trying to find a synopsis of the bill but I can't seem to. Do you only have to make the improvements when you sell? Because then in theory you could just hold the house long term with tenants and never make the improvements.

  • Real Estate Investor · East Aurora, NY · Member since 2009 · 70 posts · 22 votes
    17y

    I hate to drag this topic off the politics of global warming but one part of the bill that I've heard about has to do with property. It seems that the government will impose some kind of standard for weatherization before it can be sold. It seems to me that this could radically affect my cost of doing business or the value of my properties.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Paul Beauchemin:
    I hate to drag this topic off the politics of global warming but one part of the bill that I've heard about has to do with property. It seems that the government will impose some kind of standard for weatherization before it can be sold. It seems to me that this could radically affect my cost of doing business or the value of my properties.


    Whoa.... That is important to know. Do you have any of the details on this?
  • Real Estate Investor · East Aurora, NY · Member since 2009 · 70 posts · 22 votes
    17y
  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    17y

    Yes, it will pay for itself if you can hold the property for 80 years

    This is the part of the bill that worries me the most--the utilities increase is peanuts compared to this. If this bill passes, before you're allowed to sell your house, it will have to be approved by a Green Inspector (this the "jobs jobs jobs" part of the bill Pelosi was gushing about--they will be training thousands of people to be inspectors). All of the windows have to be a certain type, all appliances must be energy star rated (so much for used appliances) and the AC unit must be of a certain type. Also I think there are rules about insulation. Since it's one sized fits all rules, it doesn't matter if if your in Alaska or the Florida Keys, you still have to comply with the same rules. Thousands of dollars of improvements just to sell your house.

    This is why we have to get this thing stopped, or at least modified to remove the insanity about residential property. I go to a weekly discussion group (not real estate, but some of the people there are homeowners). I'm bringing handouts about this thing to try make people aware of it. Tell everyone you know.




    Originally posted by Paul Beauchemin:

    http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=YTc1MmVhMGYxY2UzNzAwMTJlODBjZjg2NDJjNmM2MWE=&w=MA==


  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Bienes Raices:
    If this bill passes, before you're allowed to sell your house, it will have to be approved by a Green Inspector


    This isn't true.

    The bill outlines an audit process for buildings, but doesn't require those audits except for new construction and some commercial buildings.

    Audits are NOT required for purchase and/or sale of residential real estate.

  • Real Estate Investor · North Central Arkansas · Member since 2009 · 509 posts · 178 votes
    17y

    I don't know if the "Audit" part is true or not but either way having the stupid govt. step into the private sector and tell us anything about how we should buy and sell Real Estate is ridiculous.

    I don't know about you guys buy any deal I'm looking at I pay for my own inspections from a contractor that I trust and I know what needs to be fixed before an offer is made. Having the govt. butt into any deal to tell someone they need to buy a certain type of window or any appliances is a joke no matter what type of deal we're talking about.

    I can see it now, some pimple faced 18 year old kid with a govt. badge telling us we need energy star appliances before we can sell.

    NO MORE GOVT. CONTROL!

    Jeff

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Jeff And Cheray Warner:
    I don't know if the "Audit" part is true or not but either way having the stupid govt. step into the private sector and tell us anything about how we should buy and sell Real Estate is ridiculous.


    This has been done for a long time...low flow plumbing fixtures, lead based paint disclosures, asbestos testings, etc...

    Not saying it's any better or worse, just that these problems have been around for a long time...they're not new...

  • Real Estate Investor · North Central Arkansas · Member since 2009 · 509 posts · 178 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    Originally posted by Jeff And Cheray Warner:
    I don't know if the "Audit" part is true or not but either way having the stupid govt. step into the private sector and tell us anything about how we should buy and sell Real Estate is ridiculous.


    This has been done for a long time...low flow plumbing fixtures, lead based paint disclosures, asbestos testings, etc...

    Not saying it's any better or worse, just that these problems have been around for a long time...they're not new...




    We all know about the things already in place, what gets me is the NEW things they want to add. Again, I don't know if it's true or the extent of it but telling people they need to use a certain type of window or "energy star" appliances is crazy.

    I'm not saying you agree with them but you certainly don't seem to be upset either.

    Jeff

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    Originally posted by Bienes Raices:
    If this bill passes, before you're allowed to sell your house, it will have to be approved by a Green Inspector


    This isn't true.

    The bill outlines an audit process for buildings, but doesn't require those audits except for new construction and some commercial buildings.

    Audits are NOT required for purchase and/or sale of residential real estate.



    JScott,
    It's in the REEP (or "retrofit") portion of the bill. It's for all buildings, or or new, including residential houses, from what I understand. I think this is part of the bill that Waxman shoved in at 3AM the night before the vote. Now we know why he didn't want anyone to read it!
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Jeff And Cheray Warner:

    I'm not saying you agree with them but you certainly don't seem to be upset either.

    I am equally upset with the old regulation and the new regulation. It makes no sense to me how someone can be more or less upset with the existing than they are with the new. It's all regulation...why does it matter if it's 25 years old or just passed last week?

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Bienes Raices:

    It's in the REEP (or "retrofit") portion of the bill. It's for all buildings, or or new, including residential houses, from what I understand. I think this is part of the bill that Waxman shoved in at 3AM the night before the vote. Now we know why he didn't want anyone to read it!


    Are you saying that based on your reading of the bill? Or are you just repeating what you've heard?

    If you've read that, can you please post the specific text?

    From my reading...

    Section 204 of the bill addresses labeling programs, and I can't find anything that requires an audit on the purchase or sale of an existing residential property.

    As for the REEP section of the bill (Section 202), it merely says that you can't qualify for public funds without meeting certain labeling requirements. If you don't want/need public money for your purchase/sale, you don't need to worry about an audit or labeling.

    Btw, the question about mandatory audits for residential properties was posed to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, and they made it clear that no mandatory audits would be required for existing homeowners to sell their properties. Not saying they're necessarily telling the truth, but that answer jives with the language in the bill, from my reading.

    If you find anything in the bill that contradicts these things, please post it...I'd love to see it.

  • Real Estate Investor · North Central Arkansas · Member since 2009 · 509 posts · 178 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    Originally posted by Jeff And Cheray Warner:

    I'm not saying you agree with them but you certainly don't seem to be upset either.


    I am equally upset with the old regulation and the new regulation. It makes no sense to me how someone can be more or less upset with the existing than they are with the new. It's all regulation...why does it matter if it's 25 years old or just passed last week?




    I don't like any of it either, my point is voicing our opinion on the NEW regulation could do some good, the OLD regulation is already done.

    So to answer your question: why does it matter if it's 25 years old or just passed last week?

    It still has to pass the Senate doesn't it? Voicing our opinion on this bill could do some good.

    For a guy who supports Ron Paul (and I have nothing against him), I'm waiting to see you get pissed about this.

    Jeff

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Jeff And Cheray Warner:

    For a guy who supports Ron Paul (and I have nothing against him), I'm waiting to see you get pissed about this.


    I don't get pissed about politics. I vote for the people I think will best represent us, I notify my representatives when I'm unhappy, and I sign any petitions that I feel are aligned with my ideologies. That's all I can reasonably do, short of demonstrating or revolting, which in my opinion are only options when I feel my family is in danger (others may disagree on that point, and that's okay).

    Our representatives are -- for the most part -- legally elected, and that means the will of the people is being carried out. That is what this nation was built on, and I fully support it, even if I might disagree with the will of the people and the decisions that are being made by those who are elected.

    As an example, I wasn't a fan of George W, and I certainly wasn't a fan of the Iraq war. When W was reelected in 2004, I wasn't happy at all, but the fact is, the people of this nation cast their vote, and they got what they wanted.

    In my opinion, that was the way things were supposed to work, even if I wasn't happy with the outcome.

    I'm all for impeachment or prosecution if our representatives break the law, but as long as the people get represented by those they want to be represented by, the system is working as intended.

    So, when I see legislation or politics I disagree with, I write my congressman, I sign petitions, and then I vote for different representation in the next election. If the majority of the people agree with my viewpoint, they too will vote for different representation in the following election. If they disagree with my viewpoint, they will vote to keep the status quo.

    There is no inherent right or wrong in politics, only opinion. And if the opinion of the plurality is different than the opinion I hold, so be it. Again, that's the way the system is set up, and barring a complete overhaul of our system of government, I will accept it.

    In short, there is no legislation that our current set of representatives can create that the next administration can't overturn, if the will of the people is to vote for representation who will choose to overturn it.

    I guess we'll see in 3 years what the will of the plurality is.

  • Real Estate Investor · North Central Arkansas · Member since 2009 · 509 posts · 178 votes
    17y

    I understand what your saying and I do the same thing you do as far as writing letters and signing petitions.

    In addition I choose to get angry and inform as many people as I possibly can. It's great that people have the right to vote and elect who the majority feels is best suited for the job, what's not great is when those people are comprised of uneducated voters that don't know what or who their voting for. By voicing my opinion I have helped educate people about bills like this Cap and Trade nonsense that they would otherwise not pay attention to. By getting pissed and telling others how bills like this will directly affect them you can create more opposition to it and have more and more people calling and sending letters to their representatives.

    When I say get pissed, I'm not saying GRAB YOUR PITCHFORK AND STORM THE CAPITAL, I'm saying voice your opinion and don't accept this crap.

    I understand that the next administration can overturn the legislation but why not try to stop it before it's passed?

    Jeff

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.