Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
Alright,
As wrong as it is, it's a reality. No use pissing and moaning - we're going to have to deal with it. What exactly does it mean for us and what exactly are we going to have to do? I've moved my portfolio away from anything where I cover utilities anyway. Nevertheless, all commodities will raise in price because of this in the face of massive amounts of printed money...
Is it time to re-examine certain commodities markets to protect the value of dollars today because of the inevitable increased costs of getting it out of the ground?
Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
17y
Well since this is now moving to the Senate you should contact your Senators and let them know how you feel about it.
In person - on the phone - in emails - through US post office.
To their state office - their local office - their DC office.
This bill will not pass in its present form in the Senate so it will be changed and go to committee and then might be voted on again so you need do the same for your house members.
Once the final bill is out and you know what your dealing with you can make plans - till then - make your opinion known (not just here - but where it counts - in DC).
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
17y
Originally posted by Jeff And Cheray Warner:
I understand that the next administration can overturn the legislation but why not try to stop it before it's passed?
Totally agree...
Unfortunately, in my experience, most people are lazy. Even if you completely convince them that something the government is trying to do is ridiculous, against their best interests, and potentially even harmful to our Constitutional rights, most people won't even pick up the phone, write a letter or send an email to their elected officials.
I'm certainly not a fan of Cap & Trade, but what pisses me off much more than the bill is how the bill was pushed through congress -- complete and utter partisan politics, inappropriate last minute changes and additions, and flat-out egregious posturing bordering on fraud.
While, like I said above, I don't get pissed about legislation that our representatives pass, I do get pissed when I feel like the system is being gamed. And in this case, I very much feel like the system was gamed, and that bothers me a hundred times more than this specific piece of legislation; while you can argue that the legislation is a result of a bunch opinions I don't agree with (not such a bad thing), gaming the system is a flat-out insult to our way of government (a VERY bad thing).
So, while I won't yell and scream about how I hate Cap and Trade, I will happily yell and scream about how the system was seriously flawed in the passing of Cap and Trade. And for that I will encourage everyone to complain about to their representatives.
Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
17y
Good news I heard on the radio this morning. Barbara Boxer is conceding that bill will have to be watered down to pass the Senate. Let's hope they get rid of the REEP program.