Precious metals you can touch?

Precious metals you can touch?

Real Estate Investor · Longmont, CO · Member since 2009 · 208 posts · 109 votes

OK with the food / water / survival posts recently I have another question I'm hoping to get some good feedback on....I'd like to buy some silver and gold.

Not as an investment - I'd rather put my $ in R.E. for that.

But I want to have a few months' expenses stowed away in case of emergency. I don't want to have cash because I'm becoming relatively convinced that there is ugly inflation coming and holders of a lot of cash are going to take a beating. But I do want an inflation protected, relatively liquid savings that I can see and touch.

Any advice on the most secure and economical way to purchase coins & bullion that are actually delivered or shipped to you?

0Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Mableton, GA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
16y

If you are talking about a dooms day scenario, I'm not sure that any physical precious metal is the answer. Maybe some, but you need something that can be easily exchanged. The best thing to do is stock on tangible things that become extremely desirable at time of despair. Fuel, food, water, ammo, soap, etc.
In the dooms day scenario, people wouldn't care about gold - they cannot eat it, drink it or heat with it...

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 557 posts · 70 votes
    16y

    Gold broke new records today. 1088.00. This was on top of a strong dollar day (relatively speaking).

    One reason the gold price has remain suppressed over the years: Concerns that the IMF will follow through on selling 400 tonnes of gold. The IMF has been claiming it was going to sell this amount for a while. The fear is that this sale will cause the gold market to be flooded and crash.

    Well, the IMF went through with it. India snapped up 200 tonnes just like that. They got to it before China. 200 tonnes left, and it doesn't seem like it will even touch the open market. Investors noticed and there was a 30.00 spike in price today. Central Bankers are buying the IMF gold up.

    There may be a chance that the gold price in fiat dollars may show it's true colors to the public, even before a currency crisis manifests on main street.

    Disclaimer: Long Gold

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    Dang you Matty!! If you'd have told me sooner, maybe I could've added a ton to my existing gold supply!! Rich

  • OR · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 845 votes
    16y

    Just a thought for you Doomsday Guys:

    If it really goes down, the things of value you are stockpiling had better be portable. You might be abandoning everything you can't carry. Unless, of course, you already live in a town with a population of 250 in the foothills of Colorado. You'd probbaly sit tight there.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by P NW:
    You might be abandoning everything you can't carry.


    Or learning the fine art of creating caches. :wink:
  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    16y

    I''ve held GLD for a couple of years now and it's done very well, obviously. I'm not that concerned about owning paper gold. I''ve read the rumors on some online sites about the tungsten in the vaults and I think it's just paranoia and hogwash. Owning physical gold has it's own risks and hassles.

    As far as I'm concerned, the reason to own gold right now is to make money, not for a doomsday scenario.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 557 posts · 70 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Bienes Raices:
    Owning physical gold has it's own risks and hassles.

    As far as I'm concerned, the reason to own gold right now is to make money


    Both have their risks and rewards. With physical, you have to store it, keep it safe, negotiate when you unload it, lose some on a big spread, etc.. Apmex buys back at a good price. But you'd have to ship it. Either way, you can use that as a base price to negotiate with, or ship it back to them.

    With paper, you just press a button on scottrade and buy/sell the current GLD price. Very nice way to make some quick cash.

    Risks: If the government confiscates like they did in the 1930s, paper GLD is vaporized instantly. Confiscation could happen again. I can see how it would be in "America's best interest" to outlaw the hoarding of gold and turn it over to the central banks, in the time of a currency crisis.

    As far as whether or not there will be some sort of currency crisis, most people see that as inevitable. The price of gold at 1118.00, caused by central bank buying, confirms that view. Central banks are not buying paper, they are buying physical.

    At the same time, I do not see us becoming Zimbabwe. More like Europe during the transition to the Euro. Gold was not confiscated then. However, Gordon Brown recently suggested a "global gold tax". The idea was shot down. But ways to confiscate the value of your metal and transfer it over to central banks are already being kicked around. This is not conspiracy theory.

    I think they're both good at this time. One for play, and one for keeps for a few years.

    Hopefully we do not end up in a place there trading metal for paper become the equivalent of trading life jackets for paper on the titanic.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    16y

    Good points Matty, but I still think the main risk of gold is it's volatility. As for the tax, how high can they go, the capital gains tax on precious metals is already pretty high.

    Does anyone know what happened in Argentina in regards to gold policies back in the '90s? I believe Argentina went through a period of hyperinflation.

    Originally posted by Matty M:
    Originally posted by Bienes Raices:
    Owning physical gold has it's own risks and hassles.

    As far as I'm concerned, the reason to own gold right now is to make money


    Both have their risks and rewards. With physical, you have to store it, keep it safe, negotiate when you unload it, lose some on a big spread, etc.. Apmex buys back at a good price. But you'd have to ship it. Either way, you can use that as a base price to negotiate with, or ship it back to them.

    With paper, you just press a button on scottrade and buy/sell the current GLD price. Very nice way to make some quick cash.

    Risks: If the government confiscates like they did in the 1930s, paper GLD is vaporized instantly. Confiscation could happen again. I can see how it would be in "America's best interest" to outlaw the hoarding of gold and turn it over to the central banks, in the time of a currency crisis.

    As far as whether or not there will be some sort of currency crisis, most people see that as inevitable. The price of gold at 1118.00, caused by central bank buying, confirms that view. Central banks are not buying paper, they are buying physical.

    At the same time, I do not see us becoming Zimbabwe. More like Europe during the transition to the Euro. Gold was not confiscated then. However, Gordon Brown recently suggested a "global gold tax". The idea was shot down. But ways to confiscate the value of your metal and transfer it over to central banks are already being kicked around. This is not conspiracy theory.

    I think they're both good at this time. One for play, and one for keeps for a few years.

    Hopefully we do not end up in a place there trading metal for paper become the equivalent of trading life jackets for paper on the titanic.



Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.