Need Opinions: Getting a new roommate who has surgery next week?

Need Opinions: Getting a new roommate who has surgery next week?

Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 0 votes

I'm a 28 year old male, and had a 60 year old male roommate who works in a school apply to live with me (roommate situation, private bedrooms with shared common areas). 

He hasn't been evicted from his current place per court records, has a job at a school, seems like a good person who helps his family which I admire, and lives with a roommate now so he's used to having roommates-- his name wasn't on his current apartment as it was in his roommate's name. He had a week to move out of his current place since his former roommate decided to move. That seems fishy, but... he seemed honest/upfront and it wouldn't be the first roommate to bail on someone last minute.

I'm wondering... would you accept a middle-aged new roommate who has an upcoming knee surgery this month, the same month as his moving in, as a new roommate? 

Am I crazy for considering him, or a jerk for not considering him?

He said his friend would come for a week and a half to take care of him after his surgery. That sounded ok, until I started googling knee surgery recovery times. I don't know what specific surgery he's having, but at 60, I'm imagining it's more major than minor. He's active, into camping and running. But, is it realistic to think he'll be up/around/independent after a week or two?

I really don't want to get into a situation where I'm going to get groceries for someone I just met or doing their laundry or checking to make sure they haven't fallen or whatever. Maybe I should, but I just have a lot going on. I don't want to exclude a roommate for their health or age, if it wasn't for a surgery the same month, I wouldn't have any worries about our age difference. It's the surgery plus walking unsteady (= falling and worries of liability), and worries of how long it'll take him to be up and going again independently.

Is a knee surgery at 60 something where a person can really be up/around and back at a work a week later?

I just keep thinking ... knee surgery = unsteady walking = liability.

I haven't had many inquiries, even though my price and property is very competitive--- it's winter. 

This person seems perfectly nice, has a job working in a school.... but I can't help but think
1) who has under a week to find a new place to live, what went south with the former roommate? and
2) is knee surgery something that takes only a week or two off work? Is it something that means no driving for weeks, and him then asking me to do him favors?

Am I a jerk for thinking knee surgery = fall hazard (and/or potentially weeks/months off of work and running the utilities up all day/night home 24/7)? 

Am I realistic in thinking his friend will be here more than a week and a half to help him post-surgery (more people than I want to live with if the friend stays weeks, more utilities in general), and that I'll get stuck helping him for at least a few weeks if he needs groceries/etc.? 

I'm not home much so I can turn off the house heat during the business day into the evening hours. If someone has surgery and it takes weeks of recovery, that's another 10+ hours a day of home heating.

What would you do if you were me? I feel rather "un-nice" for thinking about the liability and potential hassle on my end of a new roommate who has surgery this month, but I don't want to let my "niceness" and thinking he's "nice" or "had a rough time" make me pick a bad business decision of a roommate.

I've never had a roommate have surgery, though I've lived with people from age 18 to 52 before. 

I keep talking myself into it, then out of it-- and I really don't know what to do here. Ethics vs. kindness vs. business, I keep debating the risks vs. trying to be a kind person.

Can someone please talk some sense into me? :)

I really don't know what to do here, my liability worries are equal to me "give the guy a break"/be open-mindedness.

0Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 201 posts · 98 votes
9y

@Jason Wen I would ask him to fill out a background check and credit application. Keep it professional. There are a lot of online services you can use to perform that task. Then you can gauge his ability to pay/rental reliability off of that. If he has a good job and you think you can get a long with him I wouldn't think the knee replacement would be a huge issue. Just my 2 cents. 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    My mom had knee surgery at 80 years old They had her up and bout the next day had a walker and had about a month of physical therapy I would say she was pretty independent after 3 weeks and fully recovered after 6 weeks but I don't blame you for your doubts and it does not reflect badly on your decision
  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 201 posts · 98 votes
    9y

    @Jason Wen I would ask him to fill out a background check and credit application. Keep it professional. There are a lot of online services you can use to perform that task. Then you can gauge his ability to pay/rental reliability off of that. If he has a good job and you think you can get a long with him I wouldn't think the knee replacement would be a huge issue. Just my 2 cents. 

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    My mom had knee surgery at 80 years old They had her up and bout the next day had a walker and had about a month of physical therapy I would say she was pretty independent after 3 weeks and fully recovered after 6 weeks but I don't blame you for your doubts and it does not reflect badly on your decision

    Thanks, that's helpful to know, and I'm glad I don't sound heartless for being worried about it. Glad she was able to recovery so quick at at 80 too. Googling knee surgery recovery times really had me worried it would be a nightmare for him (and me). I'm not sure if someone homebound 24/7 as a roommate for many weeks unable to drive himself anywhere would be something I'm ready to deal with for a stranger during the holiday season since it's my busiest season. 

    Is driving after a week or two after surgery unheard of for people? 

  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Depends on knee left probably a good week right a month
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Aaron Cullen:

    @Jason Wen I would ask him to fill out a background check and credit application. Keep it professional. There are a lot of online services you can use to perform that task. Then you can gauge his ability to pay/rental reliability off of that. If he has a good job and you think you can get a long with him I wouldn't think the knee replacement would be a huge issue. Just my 2 cents. 

     I had an application, though I've told folks I don't do a credit check (just background & rental history).

    Good to know it wouldn't be a huge issue for you. I've never seen someone right after a knee surgery, and googling knee surgery recovery times had me worried about wobbliness, homeboundness, and extended recovery times. I don't want to have a wobbly knee patient fall and sue me just as much as I don't want to have a homebound person with a failed surgery recovery to take care of.

    I do have to think about the utilities here too since it's a "bills paid flat rate room" if someone will be home 24/7 for weeks, since now I leave the heating off 10+ hours a day since no one's home during the business day now. I think I could get along with him, though I do worry about us getting sick of seeing each other if he's literally home 24/7 for a month. Roommates really can get on each other's nerves if they're home a lot, but the annoyance worry is less than my liability fears and utility costs run 24/7 negating the profit altogether worry. (Our utilities run high here, and it's an old heater/house.) 

    I really, really should rethink the "bills paid flat rate room" thing altogether; I'd have the same potential cost issue if it was a college student home 24/7 for a month during winter break as a middle-aged knee patient home 24/7 during recovery. I've always had busy rarely home roommates, so the flat fee made it easy for us before- but it would be for anyone home 24/7 to wipe out my profits here. 

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Depends on knee left probably a good week right a month

     
    Thanks. A month of not being able to drive would be very rough in my area and would mean Uber trips, there's not even one store or restaurant that even I could walk to from here healthy. A week back to driving/not needing people's help and I wouldn't really have to think about this at all; his recovery becoming more long-term is my fear. I can't imagine being unable to drive for a month, poor guy.

    I wish I could just ask him, "hey, what kind of downtime are you looking at, and are you expecting any help in getting around/daily tasks from your roommates?" 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.