Smart Phone For Dummies

Smart Phone For Dummies

Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes

Okay, I need some help! As most of you know, I'm no techie type. I'm considering getting with it and getting a smart phone.

My interests would be to hook it to my laptop or notebook and get on the internet to harrass you guys here, LOL. And other stuff too.

I'm only interested really in making receiving calls, I don't text.

I like the fact that I could get on and get weather and news quickly and read sites, they seem quicker than my puters.

My current phone is a Samsung a flip phone with a metal case, very stout and I like the big bright numbers and it's easy to use, just what I needed riding my motorcycle in case I needed help on the road.

I don't think I'd like the slider types with tiny keys.

I'd be interested too in a military grade phone, waterproof would be a big plus for me on the water.

I can see all kinds and have no idea what I'm looking at. I'm not hooked by any provided plan as my committment ran out years ago with Altel, now Verizon, but if I had to I can go with others.

So what do you tech savy people say to the old man....?

0Reply
39 views

Most Popular Reply

Residential Landlord · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 356 posts · 81 votes
14y

Bill Gulley you can get a protective case, even one that is waterproof if you go the iPhone route. Otterbox is a popular one.

Android and Windows phones are gaining popularity and for your purposes would also work fine. Maybe go to Best Buy since they stock all the major phones from the various carriers. See if you have a preference for one over another. Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Homeowner · Lynnwood, WA · Member since 2012 · 32 posts · 3 votes
    14y

    Bill Gulley

    I do not know of any "military grade phones" but from what you are saying I would recommend iPhone for you.

    My reason:
    1. You say you are not a techie type, iPhone is easiest to use and master.

    2. It is the leader in smartphones, this will have all the applications and cool things that you may or may not need or want.

  • Residential Landlord · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 356 posts · 81 votes
    14y

    Bill Gulley you can get a protective case, even one that is waterproof if you go the iPhone route. Otterbox is a popular one.

    Android and Windows phones are gaining popularity and for your purposes would also work fine. Maybe go to Best Buy since they stock all the major phones from the various carriers. See if you have a preference for one over another. Good luck!

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    14y

    Thanks, do you buy these applications to load or does the phone come with those you usually need, I know there are many I'd never need. I assume that hooks up to a computer too...

    Are there any that are waterproof? I need something like an old Timex, should I be concerned about vibrations in saddle bags on a bike?

    Was I so dumb I misspelled dummies, I see it was corrected, Thanks Jon or Josh, LOL!

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2012 · 431 posts · 106 votes
    14y

    Another vote for iPhone with otter box case. They do make a waterproof cover but I've never actually seen one in person.

  • Residential Landlord · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 356 posts · 81 votes
    14y

    The basic applications are pre-loaded: email, weather, internet browser, calendar

    For news you can use your browser, or when you want to get adventurous there are both free and paid apps. Every news outlet has their own and there are loads of 3rd party apps as well. Loading new apps can either be done on the phone itself or through your computer.

    I'm not aware of any waterproof smartphones. I did a quick search and it looks like there are a couple models available overseas (Motorola Defy is one).

    I wouldn't be concerned about vibrations affecting the phone. Biggest risk is a cracked screen if the phone gets dropped.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    14y

    Cracked screen from just dropping it? I've probably dropped mine 50 times! That doesn't sound good.....

    I have other otter boxes guess that would be the way to go

    I know this stuff gets out dated, how long before something else comes out, is there something better that would be out soon?

    I can go to best buy, but they lie to me too, been there for lap tops and my free software wasn't free after awhile, they didn't mention that!

  • Residential Landlord · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 356 posts · 81 votes
    14y

    Yeah, a cracked screen makes it difficult to see the latest postings on BP. And iPhone screens crack rather easily...although I suspect the problem is not specific to Apple but more a product of the size of the crystal.

    A new iPhone is expected this fall. They have been releasing a new model about once a year. Sometimes the enhancements are minor. This one will likely be a major upgrade, with a slightly larger screen. 4G is also a possibility which would make browsing faster.

    As with all technology it is obsolete as soon as you get home from the store - but since you have made it this long on your flip phone I suspect you will get a similar life out of your smartphone.

    If you have questions about the "free" software feel free to ask. The easy answer is "no its not."

  • Residential Landlord · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 356 posts · 81 votes
    14y

    Bill Gulley how much time do you spend on your phone currently? My biggest complaint with iPhone is battery life. If you are in your car a lot you can always charge it, but I would consider this if you are a heavy phone user.

    Maybe check with a real estate agent or two, or some other BP members who are heavy phone users to get their thoughts.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    14y

    I don't use the phone much at all, it's just for traveling around mostly in case I want to make a call. OTH, the kids are on 24/7 I think. I'll take my phone out and find the battery is low fro just being left on....now when I'm on the road I'll use it. I can plug in on my toys/vehicles.

    What all does the iPhone do besides get on line? How do you use yours?

    I saw where they have or going to have remote locks activated by phone. Great for a landlord with lockouts, lett maintenance or Realtors in. The lock codes can be authorized for as long as you want or terminated minutes later, pretty cool I thought.

  • Residential Landlord · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 356 posts · 81 votes
    14y

    Bill Gulley completely understand your battery situation, just brought that up because it came to mind after my previous post.

    As far as my use, it is my lifeline. I use it for email, phone/voicemail, internet, etc. Even when I'm at home I find it easier (because its at hand) to use for weather, stock quotes & reading email vs. grabbing my laptop or going to my desktop. The differential is if I need to type a lot I prefer to go to a real keyboard. Also, the screen size sometimes makes me move to laptop/desktop for better viewing.

    An iPhone can almost do everything your computer can. The biggest limitation I can think of is file management. You can work around this in a number of ways, but it doesn't let you store and edit files the way you may be accustomed to.

    As far as the remote locks, I saw that on Shark Tank a couple weeks ago and wished I had thought of it. There's no limit to what can be done theoretically....

  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    14y

    I vote for an Android phone as it is very customizable, granted the iPhone is second by your requests. I also second the otterbox. I

  • Lender · Tyngsboro, MA · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    14y

    Bill Gulley, a couple of things you are looking for:

    Waterproof: Here is a link to a retrevo blog post, after you click on the link, scroll down to the Samsung Rugby and check it out. http://www.retrevo.com/content/blog/2012/01/gadget-of-the-week?cmpid=Email

    Use it to connect your laptop to the internet: This is using your phone as a modem. For Android phones, there is an application called Easy Tether Pro - you install it on both your phone and your laptop, connect them with a USB cable, and turn them both on, and you get an internet connection. A little slow sometimes,but better than nothing, depending on the strength of your signal. There is another one for iphones, someone else can jump in with the name of it.

    As for various applications and what you can do with them, there are zillions. Many are free and some have a nominal cost. I consider anything under $10 to be nominal.

    I personally have an android phone, currently a Motorola Droid Razr Maxx, and love them. I held out for years getting a smart phone and said I didn't want to be accessible via email all the time, but honestly, it makes my life easier to be able to receive emails on the fly. If a deal is blowing up, I can jump in quickly to resolve the issue. The apps I use are very useful. I track my business mileage, find the cheapest gas in the immediate area, and google nav system has the best GPS on the market, IMHO. And it's free with the phone.

    It's also very convenient to have my email and contact synchronize automatically with Google and not worry about losing them or backing them up. There are also apps that help you find your phone if you lose it, and yes, open locks with it! The list is endless. They are essentially little computers, and the line between phones and computers gets blurrier (is that a word?) with tablets.

    Don't be afraid of them, get one and have fun with it.

  • Investor · El Paso, TX · Member since 2009 · 163 posts · 20 votes
    14y

    I'm not a fan of the iPhone or any phone with the keys on the screen - it's to easy to hit the wrong key. I would test it out your self and see if you like it as compared to other phones. Phones are a personal preference.

  • Montello, WI · Member since 2012 · 7 posts · 9 votes
    14y

    Bill,

    It would depend who your carrier is, as they each have their own models from each manufacturer. U S Cellular carries the Motorola Quantico, a military grade, shock-proof phone with a rubberized case that is waterproof up to four feet or so. It is NOT a smartphone, though. If you want an android phone, they carry the Samsung Galaxy ll, with a huge screen so us old folks can read it. The screen is extra- thick, and is nearly impossible to break just by dropping it. Like Ann, I resisted getting one for years. Now, I can't imagine not having a smart phone.

  • OH · Member since 2011 · 38 posts · 4 votes
    14y

    Am I the only one that still uses Blackberry? My old school 8330 Blackberry has lasted me forever. I've dropped in numerous times and she still goes strong. Battery life is excellent often lasting me over a day of use. I don't use the internet much on it but I write TONS of texts and emails everyday. Best part is you can get it used off Craigslist for $50 in very good condition and it doesn't require a costly data plan. What happened to phones being just ummmm phones?

    I don't know how everyone can buy new phones all of the time. There are only two possessions that I have an emotional attachment to. My car and my phone.

    <3 muh phone!

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    14y

    Thank you all! Ann Bellamy yes, I have seen the Rugby and like the features, almost bought one but thought I'd hold off to see if they came out with a smart phone similar to it, well, I waited and nothing...I also like the Razor

    Speaking of the Razor, when I posted this did anyone else get ads at the side of your page for smart phones? That's amazing, they know what we are talking about....

    Dave Meyer, I forgot about email, mine is so backed up I gave up trying to delete them, even by the page it's a major pain.Much of that is my fault as I'm on several sites (boating, motorcycle) and somehow everytime someone makes a comment I get notified and couldn't find how to opt out, so I'm bombed with stuff, add the RE and spam and it's a mess. I do look for current RE, best to contact me here....anyway,

    I know what you mean by the personal attachment it becomes are part of you, BTW do you guys know what a pay phone is? LOL

    I have GPSs, cars, boat and don't use them much at all, I usually know where I'm going, guess the smart phone makes my handheld
    obsolete, it was for kayaking and the desire for a waterproof phone.

    I'll go out later today and look at the choices, but I hate service plans, I shouldn't as I'll always have a phone, but don't like being tied to some phone company, I like to fire corporations when they don't give good service....LOL

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    14y

    I'll add my vote for the iPhone. I have no personal experience with an Android phone, though. They have a lot of the same apps as iPhones.

    For me, the iPhone is a game changer. Its not a phone. Its a small computer that happens to make phone calls. The really useful thing, though, is that you always have the ability to find info. You can find a map and figure out where you area and where to go. Find a restaurant and get reviews. Get mail. Post on BiggerPockets. Look up something you just found in a store and see if its a good product at a good price. Make notes to yourself. Play games. No, I'm not a big gamer, but when you have five minutes to kill, its fun to play a quick game. Read books with the Kindle or Nook apps.

    Many apps are free. Many companies like banks and Walgreens have apps, and those are all free. Even ones that aren't are often only $1 or $2. I think the most expensive app I have on my iPhone that I actually use is a $5 video poker training app. I have apps on my iPad, like the word/excel/powerpoint equivalents that were $10 each, and having bought them for the iPad they come for free on the iPhone. But I rarely use those on the phone.

    IPad is cool, and I rarely take a laptop when I travel anymore. But the iPhone (and similar android phones, I'm sure) are just game changers.

    User to have a blackberry. I was very fast on that keyboard. For e-mail, its better than the iPhone. But once you go beyond e-mail, phone and text, the blackberry is done. Even my dyed-in-the-wool blackberry loving boss eventually gave up and when to iPhone. Every now and then he will come in with a new app. I think the stargazing one was a recent find of his. The iPhone knows where you are (a much bigger deal than you might think) and the app can show you a map of the sky based on which way you're facing.

    The red box (DVD rental) app is a great example. Free app. It figures out where you are. It taps into the actual inventory of nearby red boxes and can show you where to go to find a specific movie.

    I have a pulse app. Hold you finger in front of the camera and check your pulse.

    You want the Otterbox Defender case, not the lesser ones.

  • Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 569 votes
    14y

    I would recommend a blackberry versus an iPhone or Droid... get one with the build in keyboard. Sure, the screen is smaller, but for what you are doing you don't need a huge screen and I think you'll find it far easier to type versus touching the screen. They're also more rugged, mostly because of the smaller screen. Battery life on them is far better too.

  • Lender · Tyngsboro, MA · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    14y

    Everything Jon Holdman said also goes for the Android phones. :-)

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    14y

    Holly connections! Jon, I don't think Captian Kurk could do all that, will it beam me up too?

    Well, looks like I was leaning toward the iPhone, that is until Ann mentions the Android does all that too. One of the kids has the Blackberry....

    Here I was concerned about getting on line with my notebook or laptop, but may not need them! Not sure, I do alot of typing here, LOL.

    I never considered just getting a crash box for the phone, I was kinda sold on the military types, but guess that's not an issue really.

    I know too that not all service providers go with all phones.Verizon is big around here, but we have all of them and our terrain has some blank spots at times. Any better luck with providers? Is the iphone AT&T.....hope not....

    Thanks everyone!

  • Lender · Tyngsboro, MA · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    14y

    Verizon has the best network, IMHO.

    You can get both Droids/Androids or an iPhone from Verizon, I think it is slightly different from the iPhone that you get from AT&T.

    A note about Android/Droid just to clarify some confusing issues:

    Android is an operating system (the software that runs the phone) from Google. It is used by many manufacturers: Motorola, HTC, etc. A Droid is typically one of a specific line of phones made by Motorola that use the Android operating system, and I believe they were the first out that used Android, hence they called them Droids.

    iPhones are made by Apple and use their own proprietary software, which is not found on any other phones than iPhones, someone correct me if I'm wrong. They used to be available only from AT&T until Verizon started supporting them.

    So if it sounds like people are using the words Droid and Android interchangeably, they probably are.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    14y

    Thanks Ann! I think Apple is a good product and even though Verizon has billing issues of getting thigs messed up, Ithink I'd rather stick with them and not have a contract. I had them connect my flip phone but heard they stopped doing that, connecting phones that are note Verizon. I think the phones are cheaper at the box store or inetrnet deals than the sales sote at Verizon.....whatever.

    The problem I have always had with cellphones is dropped calls, getting away from the towers. I looked at amplifiers and thought they were nuts for the prices of some of those as I know the guts don't have $50 worth of parts.....always though I spend a saturday and build one since that use to be a hobby, but kinda gave that up. DOes anyone use a "booster amp" with an iPhone or is it even needed by those that get in intermod alley (areas of interference) or out in the boonies?

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Bill Gulley:
    ... I think the phones are cheaper at the box store or inetrnet deals than the sales sote at Verizon.....whatever.

    ...

    Bill Gulley - my wife recently upgraded her old flip phone to one with a flip keyboard (not a "smartphone" as most would call them). We priced getting the upgrade directly from Verizon and other places; in the end, Staples gave the best price for the phone hardware, and as it turns out nothing really changed except for putting a new "service agreement" into place with Verizon (done while we were in Staples by the guy at Staples). All billing and phone numbers stayed as it was. So you can buy the phone from any Verizon authorized dealer, and still be in good terms with Verizon.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    14y

    Thanks Steve! I'll check there. I was told last night to wait for the iphone 5, no one seems to know why it would be worth waiting for...
    someone had an older one, a 3 and it was much faster than any of my computers...amazing!

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    14y

    At the risk of going slightly off topic, this is exactly why I say these smart phones are game changers. Used to be when we traveled we had guide books and notes of where to go. Now the trip advisor app and similar web sites allow us to find what we want. They're not perfect, but they are pretty amazing.

    The richest people on the planet 50 years ago didn't have what almost everyone in the US has now. An interesting read is Abundance: The Future is Better Than You Think

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.